Obama dog: This is NOT change

I just did some searching on the Vick pit bulls and sure enough, twenty some odd dogs are out in Utah at a no kill, last resort shelter, as of February. The Best Friends shelter reports that they are attempting to socialize these dogs with other dogs but it is going to be a very long time for many of them before they can be in the presence of other dogs. It has taken all this time for them to become comfortable with their trainers and still they are not allowed with strangers.

After all this intensive training, many of these dogs will not be fit for adoption.

You're full of shit.

Fuck off you ignorant son of a bitch

Of course its going to take a long time to get some of these dogs to be where they need to be. Do you have any idea what that bastard did to these innocent souls. The dogs didnt ask to be tortured & mistreated. A human did it to them. Once again ITS THE HUMANS FAULT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How would you behave if some one treated you like that?

You aren't helping the breed any. Keep advetising them as the same as any other dog. That way, more ignorant people will listen to you and get pit bulls. Then we'll have more pit bull attacks.

These dogs belong only in responsible hands. That's true of all dogs but these are among the deadliest dogs known to man. They are not for everyone. Especially people like you who haven't the good sense to recognize the dog for what it is. A fighting dog. Bred to be so.

Peejay,

You must have not read the entire article you sent me. If you look a bit further down in the article it states this:

* Any dog, treated harshly or trained to attack, may bite a person. Any dog can be turned into a dangerous dog. The owner or handler most often is responsible for making a dog into something dangerous.

* An irresponsible owner or dog handler might create a situation that places another person in danger by a dog, without the dog itself being dangerous, as in the case of the Pomeranian that killed the infant (see above).

* Any individual dog may be a good, loving pet, even though its breed is considered to be potentially dangerous. A responsible owner can win the love and respect of a dog, no matter its breed. One cannot look at an individual dog, recognize its breed, and then state whether or not it is going to attack.

I rest my case

In recent years, the dogs responsible for the bulk of the homicides are pit bulls and Rottweilers:

"Studies indicate that pit bull-type dogs were involved in approximately a third of human DBRF (i.e., dog bite related fatalities) reported during the 12-year period from 1981 through1992, and Rottweilers were responsible for about half of human DBRF reported during the 4 years from 1993 through 1996....[T]he data indicate that Rottweilers and pit bull-type dogs accounted for 67% of human DBRF in the United States between 1997 and 1998. It is extremely unlikely that they accounted for anywhere near 60% of dogs in the United States during that same period and, thus, there appears to be a breed-specific problem with fatalities." (Sacks JJ, Sinclair L, Gilchrist J, Golab GC, Lockwood R. Breeds of dogs involved in fatal human attacks in the United States between 1979 and 1998. JAVMA 2000;217:836-840.)
DOG BITE LAW - Statistics about dog bites in the USA and elsewhere

We can put 67% of fatal dog attacks on two breeds. And they don't count for anywhere near that percentage of dogs present. These animals are equipped to kill and do kill more efficiently than other breeds.

Now, there are plenty of apologist for this fact. They cite bad owners and mistaken identity. The fact is, if you don't recognize that certain breeds can be more dangerous than others, you're fooling yourself. Kind of like the guy that spent 13 years with the Alaskan bears and determined that they weren't a threat to him. And then one ate him.

Dogs are great. Pit Bulls and rotties can be great. But they are also large breeds with the right equipment to kill people. And they do. More often than all other breeds combined. Not dobermans, not German Shepards, not other breeds often trained to guard, just these two account for the majority of fatalities. All dogs can bite. Some bite and maul with amazing consistancy and efficiency.

Not to turn this into a racial issue but arnt these types of breed mostly featured on the front of RAP cds & such. So once again the PEOPLE are buying these breed to elevate their "status" & these are the same PEOPLE who shouldnt be owning any kind of dog in the first place.
Its these PEOPLE who encourage aggression when these breeds are puppies & it only escalades from there.

There are no bad dogs, only bad owners

You're full of shit.

There are both bad dogs and bad owners.

You don't understand this breed. You obviously like them, but you don't understand them.

They have a high prey drive. This is natural. It is instinctual. It has nothing to do with it's owner. Only through early and intense training can this be overcome. The dogs are animal agressive. Bred to be so. They have particular bite characteristics, bred to be so. They have an athletic and strong build, bred to be so.

Do your self and the dogs a favor and treat them for what they are.

I just did some searching on the Vick pit bulls and sure enough, twenty some odd dogs are out in Utah at a no kill, last resort shelter, as of February. The Best Friends shelter reports that they are attempting to socialize these dogs with other dogs but it is going to be a very long time for many of them before they can be in the presence of other dogs. It has taken all this time for them to become comfortable with their trainers and still they are not allowed with strangers.

After all this intensive training, many of these dogs will not be fit for adoption.

You're full of shit.

Of course its going to take a long time to get some of these dogs to be where they need to be. Do you have any idea what that bastard did to these innocent souls. The dogs didnt ask to be tortured & mistreated. A human did it to them. Once again ITS THE HUMANS FAULT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How would you behave if some one treated you like that?

You aren't helping the breed any. Keep advetising them as the same as any other dog. That way, more ignorant people will listen to you and get pit bulls. Then we'll have more pit bull attacks.

These dogs belong only in responsible hands. That's true of all dogs but these are among the deadliest dogs known to man. They are not for everyone. Especially people like you who haven't the good sense to recognize the dog for what it is. A fighting dog. Bred to be so.

I agree with you 100% that these dogs should only be owned by responsible owners. That is what Im screaming!!!!! I 100% understand that orginally these dogs where breed to "Pit Bulls". I dont agree with you in saying that they are all bad & its cause its in their genetics & there just isnt anything we can do about it except extinct the breed.

I agree with you 100% that these dogs should only be owned by responsible owners. That is what Im screaming!!!!! I 100% understand that orginally these dogs where breed to "Pit Bulls". I dont agree with you in saying that they are all bad & its cause its in their genetics & there just isnt anything we can do about it except extinct the breed.

Who defines responsible? Personally, I'd prefer to see some intense screening done before any dog can be purchased, but unfortunately, everyone is just out for a quick buck, and certain dogs aren't cheap...

You can scream and shout "it's not the dog; it's the human!", but until you know exactly how that dog must be raised, how it must be trained, what type of household it needs to be in, etc., all your sympathy won't stop you from being its next meal. Incidentally, given your overreaction, and dramatic response to the posts in this thread, do yourself a favor, and don't buy a pit, assuming you can help save one. YOU'D become its next meal. Wrong attitude, and wrong disposition for a human being that owns a pit to have.

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't understand this breed. You obviously like them, but you don't understand them.

They have a high prey drive. This is natural. It is instinctual. It has nothing to do with it's owner. Only through early and intense training can this be overcome. The dogs are animal agressive. Bred to be so. They have particular bite characteristics, bred to be so. They have an athletic and strong build, bred to be so.

Do your self and the dogs a favor and treat them for what they are.

I will do myself & the dogs a favor by treating them for what they are, innocent.
I apologize if I feel that I should hold the irresponsible dog owner accountable for his actions.

Well, maybe we're on the same page, just reading in different languages.

All of these dogs aren't bad anymore than any other breed. But they do posess particular qualities that make them a little more dangerous than others. The average dog owner that might do well by a bassett hound, is probably not the person to be having pit bulls. I don't at all think they should be extincted. They are a nice breed. They are beautiful. But they are born to kill. They are predators with a high drive for prey. It takes a person that understands this to own pit bulls. It doesn't take a genius to make a pit bull fight, he's ready for that all on his own. It takes a little smarts to get that out of him. And he still is going to be more prone to chase and kill other animals. He can't help it. His owner can only do so much about it. It's in his blood.

Who defines responsible? Personally, I'd prefer to see some intense screening done before any dog can be purchased, but unfortunately, everyone is just out for a quick buck, and certain dogs aren't cheap...

You can scream and shout "it's not the dog; it's the human!", but until you know exactly how that dog must be raised, how it must be trained, what type of household it needs to be in, etc., all your sympathy won't stop you from being its next meal.

This one is my favorite: "all your sympathy won't stop you from being its next meal"

you poor ignorant soul.

You can scream and shout "it's not the dog; it's the human!", but until you know exactly how that dog must be raised, how it must be trained, what type of household it needs to be in, etc., all your sympathy won't stop you from being its next meal.

This one is my favorite: "all your sympathy won't stop you from being its next meal"

you poor ignorant soul.

Go re-read the edit to my last post.

It's you who's ignorant, and knows not of what they speak. You are exactly the type of person I'm saying has no business owning a pit bull. (For the record, I *did* own one for 7-1/2 years - raised it from a puppy).

Well, maybe we're on the same page, just reading in different languages.

All of these dogs aren't bad anymore than any other breed. But they do posess particular qualities that make them a little more dangerous than others. The average dog owner that might do well by a bassett hound, is probably not the person to be having pit bulls. I don't at all think they should be extincted. They are a nice breed. They are beautiful. But they are born to kill. They are predators with a high drive for prey. It takes a person that understands this to own pit bulls. It doesn't take a genius to make a pit bull fight, he's ready for that all on his own. It takes a little smarts to get that out of him. And he still is going to be more prone to chase and kill other animals. He can't help it. His owner can only do so much about it. It's in his blood.

YES!!!! we finally, got to some understanding!!! I agree with you 100%. now that i know we are on some kind of same page, please ignor the ignorant soul comment.

You can scream and shout "it's not the dog; it's the human!", but until you know exactly how that dog must be raised, how it must be trained, what type of household it needs to be in, etc., all your sympathy won't stop you from being its next meal. Incidentally, given your overreaction, and dramatic response to the posts in this thread, do yourself a favor, and don't buy a pit, assuming you can help save one. YOU'D become its next meal. Wrong attitude, and wrong disposition for a human being that owns a pit to have.

Who is this random bitch??

This "random bitch" has been here for about 4.5 years, and is rather well known; not that it should make any difference WHO I am, while discussing dogs you have no business owning, because you're an over the top banshee sounding freakshow.

That said.. Do you have anything of value to refute my point with? No? Well, then.

Next?

This "random bitch" has been here for about 4.5 years, and is rather well known; not that it should make any difference WHO I am, while discussing dogs you have no business owning, because you're an over the top banshee sounding freakshow.

That said.. Do you have anything of value to refute my point with? No? Well, then.

Next?

Apparently the loony toon thinks she can show up one day and start insulting the people who have history here.

Kinda nutty, eh?

I'm sorry, but when you are getting a family pet, you do not hire a Senator of the United States of America to go to a prominent Texas kennel to get yourself a dog. You go to your local shelter and rescue a dog. I don't care if it's a puppy or a full grown dog, you rescue the dog. This dog was "bred" at the kennel and then given back?

umm....bubbalah...I'm guessing they were rightfully told that you can't get a mutt when your kid has allergies b/c you don't know what's in a shelter dog or what allergens it carries. I know because our preference would be a shelter dog, too, and we can't b/c hubby has asthma and son has allergies.

mostly...um... do we really care?

If he really wanted to keep his word, all he had to do was look a little harder.

-----

In all of this Bo hysteria, some are unhappy that the president broke a campaign promise to adopt a dog from a shelter. That pledge the White House claims was complicated by the fact that the Obama girls needed a breed of dog that would not aggravate their allergies.

However, Antonia Kwalick, an official at the Infinite Hope rescue group easily found a Portuguese water dog, the same breed as BO, at a northern Virginia shelter – adding, "I am really disappointed."

FOXNews.com - Rolling Out the Media Red Carpet For the First Dog - Special Report w/ Bret Baier

-----

Northern Virginia. Long way from D.C.

He had no intention of getting a shelter dog. Just another broken promise.

If he really wanted to keep his word, all he had to do was look a little harder.

-----

In all of this Bo hysteria, some are unhappy that the president broke a campaign promise to adopt a dog from a shelter. That pledge the White House claims was complicated by the fact that the Obama girls needed a breed of dog that would not aggravate their allergies.

However, Antonia Kwalick, an official at the Infinite Hope rescue group easily found a Portuguese water dog, the same breed as BO, at a northern Virginia shelter – adding, "I am really disappointed."

FOXNews.com - Rolling Out the Media Red Carpet For the First Dog - Special Report w/ Bret Baier

-----

Northern Virginia. Long way from D.C.

He had no intention of getting a shelter dog. Just another broken promise.

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight...and if he'd gotten a shelter dog, you'd be whining that it was for show.

seriously? after he left the bronx zoo, my husband was kennel coordinator at one of the largest shelters in the country. he developed terrible asthma for reasons only partly to do with working in the shelter. we'd love to get a shelter dog. there is no way you risk not knowing your dog's pedigree if you can get that sick.

so you can whine all you want. you're totally off base on this one. as for promises:

PolitiFact | The Obameter: Obama's Campaign Promises that are Promise Kept

now tell me, how many times did you vote for the guy who promised to "be a uniter not a divider" and "run a humble foreign policy".

:lol:

perhaps it would be a good idea to either get your priorities straight or find something useful on which to take out your hostility.

Next?

People say I have a bad attitude. I say FUCK EM

I find it interesting that you have to let me know that you are "well known". Is USMB all you have? you poor thing. No wonder you feel that you have to butt in on other peoples conversations. And just when Peejay & I were coming to an understanding.

If it should make no difference who you are, than why are you telling me about it? Like it really matters to you, that I, the "top banshee sounding freakshow" should know who you think you are.

I would love to refute your point, but I dont think you clearly made one.

Last edited:
I don't know about any one else, but I wouldn't have said it was for show. I would have said, "He finally kept a promise."

I don't dislike the guy. I don't want him to fail. The country needs to be strong; regardless of who the President is.

Problem I have - he said one thing during the campaign, and does completely different now that he won.

Obama WTF: Obama's Documented Lies: 158 and remarkably still growing

158 Obama lies (to date)

Next?

Apparently the loony toon thinks she can show up one day and start insulting the people who have history here.

Kinda nutty, eh?

Apparently....not only do I think I can do it but I HAVE

Next?

People say I have a bad attitude. I say FUCK EM

I find it interesting that you have to let me know that you are "well known" Is USMB all you have? you poor thing. No wonder you feel that you have to butt in on other peoples conversations. I just when Peejay & I were coming to an understanding.

If it should make no difference who you are, than why are you telling me about it? Like it really matter to you, that I, the "top banshee sounding freakshow" should know who you think you are.

I would love to refute your point, but I dont think you clearly made one.

Umm.. Not to rain on your parade, missy, but you're on a public board having a very public discussion, and I'm "butting in" on "other peoples" conversations? You've obviously got the mental capacity of a 10 year old. Just because you're on the jungle gym, doesn't make you king of the mountain.

You asked who I was, in a rather rude manner; I told you, in a rather rude manner. Simple as that.

Now, shall we get back to the topic at hand? You were going to refute my post about pit bull owners, and the types of people they should NOT be.

Ready?

Forum List

Back