Obama Cuts God Out of T-day Address

Okay, I finally found a copy of the President's official Thanksgiving speech. The one other Youtube version I found was more user friendly, but I strongly objected to the inflammatory anti-Obama photos that accompanied it. But there is an audio here:

President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript: Thanksgiving Nov. 24, 2011 (Radio, YouTube Video) | Shallow Nation

The official Thanksgiving proclamation DID acknowledge God, but in his Thanksgiving address he did not. For the record, however, it was NOT Fox News that first began commenting on that but it was Huffington Post and a couple of other leftwing publications noting that conservatives were 'upset' by it. I haven't heard ANYBODY who was 'upset' by it. Do those of us who know our history and know what the first Thanksgiving and the subsequent official holiday was all about think it necessary to mention God? Necessary? I don't know but appropriate, absolutely. The President was inappropriate in not acknowledging why the holiday exists.

I didn't realize you guys were looking for the written transcript...FYI- I read it on the White House web site the other day, so I'm sure it's still on there some where...IIRC he used the term "blessings" a couple of times...

Give Thanks to the Troops Who Have Fought for US | The White House

I've already posted a transcript of the official Thanksgiving proclamation that is posted at the Whitehouse website. And it does mention God.

The verbal Thanksgiving address, however, did not nor was there any implication from him that the blessings were from God. Of course it is his prerogative to do a entirely secular address, but it is also the prerogative of others to think he is really out of touch with the people to fail to acknowledge what the Holiday is all about to most of them.

I hadn't had a chance to read the thread yet... I only know what I read at the White House website and to me it didn't seem offensive at all. The spirit of his message was appropriate however "God Bless America" did seem to be missing at the end...

In fact the god of nature mentioned by the forebears, not Jesus, was more like the great spirit of the American Indians. Several of the founding fathers bad mouthed the bible openly and most didn't even attend church. Thomas Jefferson wrote his own version of the Jesus Story leaving out the virgin birth, divinity, trinity, miracles, crucifiction and resurrection.You know...the horse shit parts of it.

The Coeur d'Alene Indian tribe sent a group of Indians to Mo. to ask for the Jesuits to come back to their country in the panhandle of Idaho. They considered the Jesuits God to be the Great Spirit. This happened in the first half of the 19 century. The mission was called Cataldo Mission. FYI
By the first half of the 19th century consider how many Native Americans had already been wiped out.

All this proves, is they were a conquered people by then. It does nothing to refute the claim of the original tribe in the 1600's that consorting with the Pilgrims was a big mistake.

"At noon on every Thanksgiving Day, hundreds of Native people from around the country gather at Cole’s Hill, which overlooks Plymouth Rock, for the National Day of Mourning. It is an annual tradition started in 1970, when Wampanoag Wamsutta (Frank) James was invited by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to give a speech at an event celebrating the 350th anniversary of the Pilgrims’ arrival and then disinvited after the event organizers discovered his speech was one of outrage over the “atrocities” and “broken promises” his people endured.

On the Wampanoag welcoming and having friendly relations with the Pilgrims, James wrote in his undelivered speech: “This action by Massasoit was perhaps our biggest mistake. We, the Wampanoag, welcomed you, the white man, with open arms, little knowing that it was the beginning of the end.”
Read more:The Wampanoag Side of the First Thanksgiving Story - ICTMN.com The Wampanoag Side of the First Thanksgiving Story - ICTMN.com

The Thanksgiving story, of the Pilgrims and Indians having this big feast because they loved each other is one that has been spun for hundreds of years. It's myth, and it's censorship of the Native peoples true story.

The whole feast event was related to a land treaty in which the Native Americans lost.

This was nothing more than to give Cammpbell a little info on the tribes around here, Sky. He is of Native American decent, and seems to be on top of their history. It wasn't about "in your face" kind of a thing. I don't think he took it as such.

Aaccording to Ward Churchill, a professor of ethnic studies at the University of Colorado, the reduction of the North American Indian population from an estimated 12 million in 1500 to barely 237,000 in 1900 represents a"vast genocide . . . , the most sustained on record."

By the end of the 19th century, writes David E. Stannard, a historian at the University of Hawaii, native Americans had undergone the"worst human holocaust the world had ever witnessed, roaring across two continents non-stop for four centuries and consuming the lives of countless tens of millions of people."

In the judgment of Lenore A. Stiffarm and Phil Lane, Jr.,"there can be no more monumental example of sustained genocide—certainly none involving a 'race' of people as broad and complex as this—anywhere in the annals of human history."

History News Network

To my way of thinking, Thanksgiving should actually be a day of atonement marked by fasting, in the spirit of Yom Kippur, Lent or Ramadan.

We Euramericans should be reflecting and repenting on this day for the way our ancestors turned on their Native hosts, once the time of starvation was past.

We repaid their kind welcome with a shameful record of stealing, swindling, enslavement, displacement and deliberate infection.

We waged vicious war that slaughtered children and old people along with warriors both male and female.

We occupied their lands without a second thought, and proceeded to cut the primeval forests to make room for our livestock, roads and cities.

This pattern started with the Puritan Pilgrims in Massachusetts, and spread inexorably West, all the way to California and Texas, where indeed the brutal work had already been begun by the Spanish.

American Thanksgiving is a holiday that honors the spirit of sharing the bounty. When we dig into that heaped plate today, we should be giving thanks to the rich Earth that has nourished human beings for millennia, and for the Native peoples of this continent, who learned how to live in harmony with the flora and fauna of this place, cultivating the first corn, beans and squash, and craftily culling the abundant indigenous turkeys.

And we should pause in our feast to reflect on the ignoble history that unfolded after that original Thanksgiving in Plymouth MA, where America repaid her hosts not with honor, but with persecution, scorn and hate.

Thanksgiving as a Day of Atonement | Common Dreams

Aaccording to Ward Churchill, a professor of ethnic studies at the University of Colorado, the reduction of the North American Indian population from an estimated 12 million in 1500 to barely 237,000 in 1900 represents a"vast genocide . . . , the most sustained on record."

By the end of the 19th century, writes David E. Stannard, a historian at the University of Hawaii, native Americans had undergone the"worst human holocaust the world had ever witnessed, roaring across two continents non-stop for four centuries and consuming the lives of countless tens of millions of people."

In the judgment of Lenore A. Stiffarm and Phil Lane, Jr.,"there can be no more monumental example of sustained genocide—certainly none involving a 'race' of people as broad and complex as this—anywhere in the annals of human history."

History News Network

A lot of the action was with Native Americans against Native Americans.
A lot of action was with settlers and Native Americans.

History News Network

Just a footnote...Ward Churchill has an agenda.

You people trying to force your God down everyone else's throats remind me of Muslims and their Sharia law. Why is it people use God as an excuse to bully or control others.

I suspect He doesn't like that behavior one bit.

There is no requirement for the President of the United States to pray to God. In fact, it's probably better if he keeps his personal religious beliefs out of our government, don't you think?

Most people I hear ranting about God are the greatest hypocrites. For if they were to follow the Christian God, they would be much more unselfish and devoted to helping their fellow man than any of the so-called Christians I know are. As a matter of fact, it seems that the good character of a person is inversely proportional to the amount they espouse being high and mighty Christians.

Of course that's what Jesus was meant when he talked about narrow the road and straight the gate that leads to the Kingdom of Heaven...most people aren't getting it right.

Last edited:

History News Network

Why is it that conservatives are unable to accept the truth of our history or accept any responsibility for the genocide of Native Americans?

Native Americans certainly fought each other, but they hadn't been wiping out the entire continents people before the Europeans arrived.

We screwed them every which way we could. It's not about feeling guility, it's about honoring the indigenous culture that pre-existed the European invasion, and having some sobriety about it.

Read the People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn

Last edited:

History News Network

Oh, is that their excuse for taking puppies and dogs out to the reservation dump and leaving them to die a slow death of starvation, thirst and heat?

You people trying to force your God down everyone else's throats remind me of Muslims and their Sharia law. Why is it people use God as an excuse to bully or control others.

There is no requirement for the President of the United States to pray to God. In fact, it's probably better if he keeps his personal religious beliefs out of our government, don't you think?

Most people I hear ranting about God are the greatest hypocrites. For if they were to follow the Christian God, they would be much more unselfish and devoted to helping their fellow man than any of the so-called Christians I know are. As a matter of fact, it seems that the good character of a person is inversely proportional to the amount they espouse being high and mighty Christians.
Of course that's what Jesus was meant when he talked about narrow the road and straight the gate that leads to the Kingdom of Heaven...most people aren't getting it right.

I think most Christians are a giving and charitable group of people.
There is a difference between giving and being demanded by government to give, donchya think?

I think most Christians are a giving and charitable group of people.
There is a difference between giving and being demanded by government to give, donchya think?

I agree. Generosity and charity are Christian values. The point of this entire thread is that Conservatives rushed to judge the President for not using the GOD word in his T day speech.

It happens to be true that religion has always been used to conquer indigenous peoples and the Native Americans were no exception.

What annoys me about some conservative posters, (not you, Meister), is they presume they are morally superior human beings to "liberals".

They attacked the President under just such misguided arrogance. Is it any wonder some of us are going to fire back?

History News Network

Why is it that conservatives are unable to accept the truth of our history and any responsibility for the genocide of Native Americans?

Native Americans certainly fought each other, but they hadn't been wiping out the entire continents people before the Europeans arrived.

We screwed them every which way we could.

Sky, I've done a lot of actual study about Native Americans....going back to Paleo times. I'm am saying entire cultures were wiped out by other native Americans, usually for prime land grabs. There were top tier cultures and 3rd and 4th tier that were destined to fail.
Yes the Europeans had there place in history, also.
But you didn't mention in your first post with the whole story, and of course, Ward Churchill wouldn't mention it.

A lot of disease carried by the Euorpeans was not an intentionally infection on the Native Americans. But, the micro organisms and viruses were never seen by the Native Americans prior to the arrival. Nobody had intended that to happen.

History News Network

Oh, is that their excuse for taking puppies and dogs out to the reservation dump and leaving them to die a slow death of starvation, thirst and heat?

No one is saying anything like that. Nice flame post, though. Not biting. Nice try.

Why is it that conservatives are unable to accept the truth of our history and any responsibility for the genocide of Native Americans?

Sky, I've done a lot of actual study about Native Americans....going back to Paleo times. I'm am saying entire cultures were wiped out by other native Americans, usually for prime land grabs. There were top tier cultures and 3rd and 4th tier that were destined to fail.
But you didn't mention in your first post with the whole story, and of course, Ward Churchill wouldn't mention it.

A lot of disease carried by the Euorpeans was not an intentionally infection on the Native Americans. But, the micro organisms and viruses were never see by the Native Americans prior to the arrival. Nobody had intended that to happen.

Plenty of diseased blankets were intentionally traded to Native Americans to wipe them out. I agree that some of the disappearance of the Native Americans was unintentional, but plenty of it wasn't.

We conquered them and nearly reduced them to dust. We cheated them out of their land. We introduced alcohol to them.

Native American people were engaged in tribal warfare, not genocide.

I appreciate your study. Paleo times is certainly well before Europeans invaded North America. My point is the Native Americans were well established and healthy before we got here.

Last edited:

A lot of disease carried by the Euorpeans was not an intentionally infection on the Native Americans. But, the micro organisms and viruses were never see by the Native Americans prior to the arrival. Nobody had intended that to happen.

Plenty of diseased blankets were intentionally traded to Native Americans to wipe them out. I agree that some of the disappearance of the Native Americans was unintentional, but plenty of it wasn't.

We conquered them and nearly reduced them to dust. We cheated them out of their land. We introduced alcohol to them.

Native American people were engaged in tribal warfare, not genocide.

I appreciate your study. Paleo times is certainly well before Europeans invaded North America. My point is the Native Americans were well established and healthy before we got here.

Nearly all scholars now believe that widespread epidemic disease, to which the natives had no prior exposure or resistance, was the overwhelming cause of the massive population decline of the Native Americans.
Soon after Europeans and Africans began to arrive in the New World, bringing with them the infectious diseases of Europe and Africa, observers noted immense numbers of indigenous Americans began to die from these diseases. One reason this death toll was overlooked (or downplayed) is that once introduced the diseases raced ahead of European immigration in many areas. Disease killed off a sizable portion of the populations before European observations (and thus written records) were made. After the epidemics had already killed massive numbers of natives, many newer European immigrants assumed that there had always been relatively few indigenous peoples. The scope of the epidemics over the years was tremendous, killing millions of people—possibly in excess of 90% of the population in the hardest hit areas—and creating one of "the greatest human catastrophe in history, far exceeding even the disaster of the Black Death of medieval Europe",[28] which had killed up to one-third of the people in Europe and Asia between 1347 and 1351. The Black Death occurred to a European population which also had not been exposed and had little or no resistance to a new disease.
One of the most devastating diseases was smallpox, but other deadly diseases included typhus, measles, influenza, bubonic plague, cholera, malaria, tuberculosis, mumps, yellow fever, and pertussis (whooping cough), which were chronic in Eurasia. The indigenous Americas also had a number of endemic diseases, such as tuberculosis and perhaps including an unusually virulent type of syphilis, which soon became rampant when brought back to the Old World. (This transfer of disease between the Old and New Worlds was part of the phenomenon known as the "Columbian Exchange"). The diseases brought to the New World proved to be exceptionally deadly to the Native Americans.
The epidemics had very different effects in different regions of the Americas. The most vulnerable groups were those with a relatively small population and few built-up immunities. Many island-based groups were annihilated. The Caribs and Arawaks of the Caribbean nearly ceased to exist, as did the Beothuks of Newfoundland. While disease ranged swiftly through the densely populated empires of Mesoamerica, the more scattered populations of North America saw a slower spread.
Population history of indigenous peoples of the Americas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know what the Europeans did to the Native Americans and I always felt they got the shaft from us. But, most of the disease was unintentional.

I broke from Monday night football to post.
God does not want to be bothered. He has asked for another Dirty Turtle (Guiness and Terrapin Rye Pale Ale) and has advised he is available as consultant to major media at $1200 an hour consulting fee.

I broke from Monday night football to post.
God does not want to be bothered. He has asked for another Dirty Turtle (Guiness and Terrapin Rye Pale Ale) and has advised he is available as consultant to major media at $1200 an hour consulting fee.

Really!!!!!

I thought the preachers had a monopoly on that.

Forum List

Back