Obama Cuts God Out of T-day Address

That is too funny. You were vocal in your opposition to something the President didn't even do.

Nonetheless, the God Squad overreacted as usual. As if they are kings and queens of "appropriateness."

Ask Native Americans why the Thanksgiving holiday exists. For Native Americans, it marks the beginning of their oppression. Thanksgiving marks a censorship of Native American history.

The portrait painted of the friendly Indians and the openhearted pilgrims coming together to feast after a long, sorry winter is accepted and tolerated by the American community. But this portrait is not correct. The story is much deeper than that; so much deeper that the Native American Indian community calls this day - The National Day of Mourning - and stages rallies to protest the holiday. Their reasons are valid. The true story of Thanksgiving is not something a country should be proud of.

The Native community did not help the colonists because of a deep friendship, rather it was a custom of their culture and religion to help those who were in need. The two groups did NOT come together to celebrate the harvest, as friends, and rejoice in the "first" Thanksgiving. They were meeting to discuss land rights. Native Americans were always the losers in land rights meetings.

For many Native American Indians of present day, the traditional "Thanksgiving" holiday is not recognized as the Pilgrim/Indian day popularized in children’s history books; rather it is a day of sorrow and shame. Sorrow for the fallen lives of those who were lost so long ago, and shame for living in a country who honors people who used religion and self-righteousness to condone murder, treachery and slavery. Once again, the "Godly" were the oppressors.

Last edited:
Okay, I finally found a copy of the President's official Thanksgiving speech. The one other Youtube version I found was more user friendly, but I strongly objected to the inflammatory anti-Obama photos that accompanied it. But there is an audio here:

President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript: Thanksgiving Nov. 24, 2011 (Radio, YouTube Video) | Shallow Nation

The official Thanksgiving proclamation DID acknowledge God, but in his Thanksgiving address he did not. For the record, however, it was NOT Fox News that first began commenting on that but it was Huffington Post and a couple of other leftwing publications noting that conservatives were 'upset' by it. I haven't heard ANYBODY who was 'upset' by it. Do those of us who know our history and know what the first Thanksgiving and the subsequent official holiday was all about think it necessary to mention God? Necessary? I don't know but appropriate, absolutely. The President was inappropriate in not acknowledging why the holiday exists.

I didn't realize you guys were looking for the written transcript...FYI- I read it on the White House web site the other day, so I'm sure it's still on there some where...IIRC he used the term "blessings" a couple of times...

Give Thanks to the Troops Who Have Fought for US | The White House

Last edited:
Here we go...

WEEKLY ADDRESS: On Thanksgiving, Grateful for the Men and Women Who Defend Our Country

WASHINGTON—In this week’s address, President Obama wished the American people a happy Thanksgiving, giving a special thanks to the brave men and women serving overseas and those giving back at shelters and soup kitchens in their communities during the holidays. Those who celebrated the first Thanksgiving persevered by drawing strength from each other, and today we once again come together in that spirit of unity to overcome our challenges, remaining thankful for our freedom and the blessings of family, community, and country.

The audio of the address and video of the address will be available online at The White House at 6:00 a.m. ET, Thursday, November 24, 2011.

Remarks of President Barack Obama
Weekly Address
Thursday, November 24, 2011
The White House

From my family to yours, I’d like to wish you a happy Thanksgiving. Like millions of Americans, Michelle, Malia, Sasha and I will spend the day eating great food, watching a little football, and reflecting on how truly lucky we truly are.

As Americans, each of us has our own list of things and people to be thankful for. But there are some blessings we all share.

We’re especially grateful for the men and women who defend our country overseas. To all the service members eating Thanksgiving dinner far from your families: the American people are thinking of you today. And when you come home, we intend to make sure that we serve you as well as you’re serving America.

We’re also grateful for the Americans who are taking time out of their holiday to serve in soup kitchens and shelters, making sure their neighbors have a hot meal and a place to stay. This sense of mutual responsibility – the idea that I am my brother’s keeper; that I am my sister’s keeper – has always been a part of what makes our country special. And it’s one of the reasons the Thanksgiving tradition has endured.

The very first Thanksgiving was a celebration of community during a time of great hardship, and we have followed that example ever since. Even when the fate of our union was far from certain – during a Civil War, two World Wars, a Great Depression – Americans drew strength from each other. They had faith that tomorrow would be better than today.

We’re grateful that they did. As we gather around the table, we pause to remember the pilgrims, pioneers, and patriots who helped make this country what it is. They faced impossible odds, and yet somehow, they persevered. Today, it’s our turn.

I know that for many of you, this Thanksgiving is more difficult than most. But no matter how tough things are right now, we still give thanks for that most American of blessings, the chance to determine our own destiny. The problems we face didn’t develop overnight, and we won’t solve them overnight. But we will solve them. All it takes is for each of us to do our part.

With all the partisanship and gridlock here in Washington, it’s easy to wonder if such unity is really possible. But think about what’s happening at this very moment: Americans from all walks of life are coming together as one people, grateful for the blessings of family, community, and country.

If we keep that spirit alive, if we support each other, and look out for each other, and remember that we’re all in this together, then I know that we too will overcome the challenges of our time.

So today, I’m thankful to serve as your President and Commander-and-Chief. I’m thankful that my daughters get to grow up in this great country of ours. And I’m thankful for the chance to do my part, as together, we make tomorrow better than today.

Thanks, and have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

>>>

Remarks by the President at the Pardoning of the National Thanksgiving Turkey

North Portico

10:40 A.M. EST

THE PRESIDENT: Hello, everybody! Well, it is wonderful to see all of you here today. Happy Thanksgiving, and welcome to the White House.

Tomorrow is one of the best days of the year to be an American. It’s a day to count our blessings, spend time with the ones we love, and enjoy some good food and some great company. But it’s also one of the worst days of the year to be a turkey. (Laughter.) They don’t have it so good.

The rare exception, of course, are the two birds who’ve joined me today. Now, is Peace here, or just Liberty? Just Liberty is here, but Peace is back here somewhere. Some of you may know that recently I’ve been taking a series of executive actions that don’t require Congressional approval. (Laughter.) Well, here’s another one. We can’t wait to pardon these turkeys. (Laughter.) Literally. Otherwise they’d end up next to the mashed potatoes and stuffing.

I want to thank Richard Huisinga, the Chairman of the National Turkey Federation, and his wonderful family for donating this year’s turkey from his farm in Willmar, Minnesota. The turkey’s name is Liberty -- there he is -- and along with his understudy named Peace, he has the distinction of being the luckiest bird on the face of the Earth. Right now, he’s also probably one of the most confused. (Laughter.)

Liberty was chosen from a flock of about 30 other contestants for the honor of being here today. And for the first time in history, these two turkeys were raised by four students from nearby Willmar High School.

Now, I’m told that in order to prepare Liberty and Peace for their big day, the students exposed them to loud noises and flash bulbs so that they’d be ready to face the White House press corps. This is actually true. They also received the most important part of their media training, which involves learning how to gobble without really saying anything. (Laughter.)

So Liberty is ready for his turn in the spotlight. And after he finishes a round of cable hits and a few Sunday shows, he’s going to retire to a life of leisure at Mount Vernon -- the same place where George Washington spent his golden years.

And later today, Michelle, Malia, Sasha and I will also be taking two unnamed turkeys, who weren’t so lucky, to a local food bank here in D.C. that helps those in need. And I want to thank the folks at Jaindl’s Turkey Farm in Orefield, Pennsylvania, for donating these dressed birds for the third year in a row.

A great writer once called Thanksgiving the “one day that is ours … the one day that is purely American.”

When we gather around our tables tomorrow to share the fruits of our blessings, let’s remember what that means. Let’s be grateful for what we have. Let’s be mindful of those who have less. Let’s appreciate those who hold a special place in our lives, and make sure that they know it. And let’s think about those who can’t spend the holiday with their loved ones –- especially the members of our military serving overseas. I’d like to thank all our men and women in uniform and their families for their incredible service and devotion.

And that’s what being an American is all about. Even when times are tough, we look out for each other. We lift each other up. And we remind ourselves just how lucky we are here, together, in the greatest country on Earth.

So from our family to yours, I want to wish everybody a wonderful and happy and healthy Thanksgiving.

And now, since Liberty and Peace have been so patient, it is my privilege to grant them the official pardon. And I’m going to -- I’ve got to give them a little symbol. (Laughter.)

(The turkeys are pardoned.)

THE PRESIDENT: All right, you are hereby pardoned. (Laughter.) Give them a round of applause. (Applause.)

END
10:45 A.M. EST

Native people died so that the European colony could flourish. They need to be remembered, respected and mourned. With them - the Native forefathers - is a much better place to lay your fondness and your thanks.

It is with their spirit of generosity and charity that you should place your foundation for a true and honest "Thanksgiving." You owe thanks to the "godless savages".

I read an article that said a few people/religious organizations immediately went all a-twitter criticizing him for not mentioning God and that's where the news stories stemmed from... :dunno:

This sense of mutual responsibility – the idea that I am my brother’s keeper; that I am my sister’s keeper – has always been a part of what makes our country special. And it’s one of the reasons the Thanksgiving tradition has endured.

^^ That sounds Biblical to me........

The introduction of European settlers to the Americas had a mostly tragic outcome for many indigenous communities. They lost land to people who distrusted and disrespected their way of life. They lost millions of people to territorial conflict, starvation and diseases brought from Europe. Their cultures were misunderstood, devalued and deemed inferior. Some think the traditional Thanksgiving narrative – generous Pilgrims, helpful Indians – implies Native Americans should be grateful about the events that led to their suffering.

Mahtowin Munro is co-leader of United American Indians of New England, which organizes a National Day of Mourning each year on Thanksgiving. The event began in 1970, as a way to memorialize indigenous people who died as a result of colonization and to protest continued discrimination and exploitation.

The goal: Offer an unvarnished view of what the archetypal Thanksgiving celebration meant for those who lived in America when the Pilgrims landed.

“We do a National Day of Mourning to talk about this and just to say, ‘You need to stop teaching this to your children, and having this false mythology,’” Munro said. “The idea is that the Pilgrims had this bountiful harvest and decided to share it and they invited the Native Americans and everybody lived happily ever after. The Native Americans definitely didn’t live happily ever after.”

The mourning day events typically kick off with several hundred people, Native American and not, gathered on Plymouth’s Coles Hill, near a statue of Massasoit, the leader of the Wamponag tribe who lived in the area during the Pilgrims’ settlement. A spiritual ceremony with smudging of sacred smoke and prayer follows. Next comes a speak-out, in which Native Americans talk about past or present issues in their communities. Then there’s a march through old Plymouth and a social, where many of the attendees who have been fasting in memory of their ancestors break their fast with a meal that could include anything from turkey to moose stew to vegan fare.

“It’s really a day for non-Native people to listen,” said Munro, who is a member of the Lakota tribe. “Every other day of the year – in this society, we’re not even a presence. We’re relegated to being an asterisk or not even counted or being a joke, like a sports team mascot.”

Thanksgiving is some Native Americans' 'Day of Mourning' – In America - CNN.com Blogs

I read an article that said a few people/religious organizations immediately went all a-twitter criticizing him for not mentioning God and that's where the news stories stemmed from... :dunno:

This sense of mutual responsibility – the idea that I am my brother’s keeper; that I am my sister’s keeper – has always been a part of what makes our country special. And it’s one of the reasons the Thanksgiving tradition has endured.

^^ That sounds Biblical to me........

Are you kidding? No matter what he said or did, that same group of people would go apeshit. Why worry....? Not like they would vote for him anyways.

The Native American genocide is real "godly" history for us to proud of. We better get the word "God" in the celebrate the true meaning of Thanksgiving.

As native people we celebrate and give thanks EVERY day, not just on the European-designated day of observance.

We give thanks to the Creator for our sustenance, the air we breathe, the water we drink, the trees, the Sun and the Moon and that which brings the change of seasons. We give thanks for all who crawl, walk or swim. The four-leggeds, wingeds, and those who provide, and the spirits of those who have made the journey to the Spirit World. We also pray for the less fortunate and those who cannot do for themselves. We pray for the elders and those in harm’s way.

Read more:Do You Celebrate Thanksgiving? - ICTMN.com Do You Celebrate Thanksgiving? - ICTMN.com

At noon on every Thanksgiving Day, hundreds of Native people from around the country gather at Cole’s Hill, which overlooks Plymouth Rock, for the National Day of Mourning. It is an annual tradition started in 1970, when Wampanoag Wamsutta (Frank) James was invited by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to give a speech at an event celebrating the 350th anniversary of the Pilgrims’ arrival and then disinvited after the event organizers discovered his speech was one of outrage over the “atrocities” and “broken promises” his people endured.

On the Wampanoag welcoming and having friendly relations with the Pilgrims, James wrote in his undelivered speech: “This action by Massasoit was perhaps our biggest mistake. We, the Wampanoag, welcomed you, the white man, with open arms, little knowing that it was the beginning of the end.”

Read more:The Wampanoag Side of the First Thanksgiving Story - ICTMN.com The Wampanoag Side of the First Thanksgiving Story - ICTMN.com

Okay, I finally found a copy of the President's official Thanksgiving speech. The one other Youtube version I found was more user friendly, but I strongly objected to the inflammatory anti-Obama photos that accompanied it. But there is an audio here:

President Obama Weekly Address Video, Transcript: Thanksgiving Nov. 24, 2011 (Radio, YouTube Video) | Shallow Nation

The official Thanksgiving proclamation DID acknowledge God, but in his Thanksgiving address he did not. For the record, however, it was NOT Fox News that first began commenting on that but it was Huffington Post and a couple of other leftwing publications noting that conservatives were 'upset' by it. I haven't heard ANYBODY who was 'upset' by it. Do those of us who know our history and know what the first Thanksgiving and the subsequent official holiday was all about think it necessary to mention God? Necessary? I don't know but appropriate, absolutely. The President was inappropriate in not acknowledging why the holiday exists.

I didn't realize you guys were looking for the written transcript...FYI- I read it on the White House web site the other day, so I'm sure it's still on there some where...IIRC he used the term "blessings" a couple of times...

Give Thanks to the Troops Who Have Fought for US | The White House

I've already posted a transcript of the official Thanksgiving proclamation that is posted at the Whitehouse website. And it does mention God.

The verbal Thanksgiving address, however, did not nor was there any implication from him that the blessings were from God. Of course it is his prerogative to do a entirely secular address, but it is also the prerogative of others to think he is really out of touch with the people to fail to acknowledge what the Holiday is all about to most of them.

Funny that he really does not understand in context what my brothers keeper meant and who first said it.
Cain asked God after Cain killed his brother
"Am I my brothers keeper"?

Gotta give our politicians credit. It's their job to keep us completely distracted from the horrible job they're doing with podium talk.

That's why we flip out over words in speeches, act like campaign commericals matter, we pretend campaign promises matter when no one ever sticks to them. All this rhetoric is total jibberish, yet it's all we americans care about with regard to our politicians.

Native people died so that the European colony could flourish. They need to be remembered, respected and mourned. With them - the Native forefathers - is a much better place to lay your fondness and your thanks.

It is with their spirit of generosity and charity that you should place your foundation for a true and honest "Thanksgiving." You owe thanks to the "godless savages".

In fact the god of nature mentioned by the forebears, not Jesus, was more like the great spirit of the American Indians. Several of the founding fathers bad mouthed the bible openly and most didn't even attend church. Thomas Jefferson wrote his own version of the Jesus Story leaving out the virgin birth, divinity, trinity, miracles, crucifiction and resurrection.You know...the horse shit parts of it.

The Native Americans were invited to and involved in the First Thanksgiving celebration feast. What happened later was totally unrelated to the observance of Thanksgiving.

In fact the god of nature mentioned by the forebears, not Jesus, was more like the great spirit of the American Indians. Several of the founding fathers bad mouthed the bible openly and most didn't even attend church. Thomas Jefferson wrote his own version of the Jesus Story leaving out the virgin birth, divinity, trinity, miracles, crucifiction and resurrection.You know...the horse shit parts of it.

The Coeur d'Alene Indian tribe sent a group of Indians to Mo. to ask for the Jesuits to come back to their country in the panhandle of Idaho. They considered the Jesuits God to be the Great Spirit. This happened in the first half of the 19 century. The mission was called Cataldo Mission. FYI

The Coeur d'Alene Indian tribe sent a group of Indians to Mo. to ask for the Jesuits to come back to their country in the panhandle of Idaho. They considered the Jesuits God to be the Great Spirit. This happened in the first half of the 19 century. The mission was called Cataldo Mission. FYI

I had never heard of that. I took your key and googled this up:

In the early 19th century, the Coeur d'Alene Indians had heard of these powerful "medicine men" in black robes with a book and wanted some of these men for their own tribe. They sent men east to St. Louis, and in 1842 Father Pierre-Jean De Smet responded to the request and came to the area. Fr. Nicholas Point and Br. Charles Duet came and helped to pick a mission location. The first was along the St. Joe River, but was subject to flooding. In 1846, they moved it to the current location.

In 1850, the church was taken over by Antonio Ravalli, who began designing the new mission building. He made sure that the building was constructed by the Indians themselves, so that they could feel part of the church. It was built using the wattle and daub method, and was finished some three years later, without using a single nail.

In time, the mission became an important stop for traders, settlers, and miners taking on the role as a hospitality and supply station. It was also a working port for boats heading up the Coeur d'Alene River.

In 1961, it was designated a National Historic Landmark, and in 1966 was put on the National Register of Historic Places.

Folks getting offended these days be they left wing liberal or far right Christian can kiss my ass.
We have turned into one pansy ass nation if folks let this get to them.

By the first half of the 19th century consider how many Native Americans had already been wiped out.

All this proves, is they were a conquered people by then. It does nothing to refute the claim of the original tribe in the 1600's that consorting with the Pilgrims was a big mistake.

"At noon on every Thanksgiving Day, hundreds of Native people from around the country gather at Cole’s Hill, which overlooks Plymouth Rock, for the National Day of Mourning. It is an annual tradition started in 1970, when Wampanoag Wamsutta (Frank) James was invited by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to give a speech at an event celebrating the 350th anniversary of the Pilgrims’ arrival and then disinvited after the event organizers discovered his speech was one of outrage over the “atrocities” and “broken promises” his people endured.

On the Wampanoag welcoming and having friendly relations with the Pilgrims, James wrote in his undelivered speech: “This action by Massasoit was perhaps our biggest mistake. We, the Wampanoag, welcomed you, the white man, with open arms, little knowing that it was the beginning of the end.”
Read more:The Wampanoag Side of the First Thanksgiving Story - ICTMN.com The Wampanoag Side of the First Thanksgiving Story - ICTMN.com

The Thanksgiving story, of the Pilgrims and Indians having this big feast because they loved each other is one that has been spun for hundreds of years. It's myth, and it's censorship of the Native peoples true story.

The whole feast event was related to a land treaty in which the Native Americans lost. For hundreds of years our history books have lied. America was founded and became prosperous based on two “original sins”: First, the murder of Native Americans and the theft of their land by European colonialists, then subsequently slavery.

Americans celebrating Thanksgiving is as if Germany had a day of celebration for the Holocaust. Thanksgiving is the American Holocaust.

For Native Americans, Thanksgiving is the “celebration” of their generosity towards the Pilgrims which promptly paid them back by stealing their land and ultimately committing genocide against the native population of the new land.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back