Obama creates 297,000 JOBS!

These were temp jobs for the Christmas shopping increase.

And this is a fluff piece.

Gallup has quite a different perspective on the situation: unemployment and underemployment got worse in December.

Unemployment, as measured by Gallup without seasonal adjustment, increased to 9.6% at the end of December -- up from 9.3% in mid-December and 8.8% at the end of November...

...Meanwhile, the percentage of part-time workers who want full-time work increased to 9.4% of the workforce in December -- up from 9.2% in mid-December and 8.4% at the end of November...

...The increase in Gallup's U.S. unemployment rate and the worsening in the percentage of part-time workers wanting full-time work combined to raise underemployment to 19.0% in December from 18.5% in mid-December and 17.2% at the end of November.

interesting part of the gallup page:

Because the Gallup unemployment measure is not seasonally adjusted, it tends to more accurately reflect what is actually taking place in the U.S. job market -- and may not agree with the government's estimate that is seasonally adjusted.

i wonder then who is more accurate and correct in the matter. the BLS or Gallup? Gallup claims to be more accurate than the government, but admits that they wont agree with them because they use different criteria. not exactly an apples to apples comparison of the job market.

Gallup has quite a different perspective on the situation: unemployment and underemployment got worse in December.

Unemployment, as measured by Gallup without seasonal adjustment, increased to 9.6% at the end of December -- up from 9.3% in mid-December and 8.8% at the end of November...

...Meanwhile, the percentage of part-time workers who want full-time work increased to 9.4% of the workforce in December -- up from 9.2% in mid-December and 8.4% at the end of November...

...The increase in Gallup's U.S. unemployment rate and the worsening in the percentage of part-time workers wanting full-time work combined to raise underemployment to 19.0% in December from 18.5% in mid-December and 17.2% at the end of November.

interesting part of the gallup page:

Because the Gallup unemployment measure is not seasonally adjusted, it tends to more accurately reflect what is actually taking place in the U.S. job market -- and may not agree with the government's estimate that is seasonally adjusted.

i wonder then who is more accurate and correct in the matter. the BLS or Gallup? Gallup claims to be more accurate than the government, but admits that they wont agree with them because they use different criteria. not exactly an apples to apples comparison of the job market.

BLS provides both unadjusted and seasonally adjusted data. One can easily look up the stats on the BLS site. The rational for the seasonal adjustment is that seasonal jobs distort the momentum of the economy. i.e., cannery jobs in the summer or Christmas Retail jobs in the holiday season. By nature, these are short term jobs. Their appearance and disappearance do not signal massive growth or a contraction.

can you prove this claim that all 297,000 jobs were temporary?

Can you prove they were full time permanent jobs?

i never claimed they were all full times jobs. if you read the original post, they predicted only seeing 100,000 jobs created in December, most of which would probably be temporary / seasonal jobs. since 297,000 or 3 times as many jobs were actually created, it shows the economy is recovering at a better rate than previously thought. now are all 297,000 jobs permanent? no, we will get a better clue when the January numbers are released.

but should we be trying to see the positive in this situation and applauding the fact that jobs are being created in general? instead of rooting for more people to be losing jobs? if you want the country to recover its counter productive to be rooting for failure.

can you prove this claim that all 297,000 jobs were temporary?

Can you prove they were full time permanent jobs?

Which is it?

I posted I thought a lot of this was the result of consulting work. You posted I was "wrong". Well in terms of where I sit at my company..this is what I see.

So..what exactly do you think it is? Permanent? Fixed time contracts? What?

http://www.usmessageboard.com/3166961-post19.html

The vast majority were labelled "service" jobs. We have no idea if they are seasonal or permanent. As I already said, we need to wait for the BLS survey.

The vast majority were labelled "service" jobs. We have no idea if they are seasonal or permanent. As I already said, we need to wait for the BLS survey.

i will take that argument. IMHO, i think we will see probably about a 50/50 split between seasonal and permanent jobs.

A full time job without a specified end date, as opposed to a temp job which is for a limited term.

Let's clear up the these-are-seasonal-jobs crap about this report once and for all.

This is directly from ADP's website (uh, they did the report in case you're not paying attention)

Private-sector employment increased by 297,000 from November to December on a seasonally adjusted basis, according to the latest ADP National Employment Report® released today.

Now let's add this from the same site:

The data for both reports is collected for pay periods that can be interpolated to include the week of the 12th of each month, and processed with statistical methodologies similar to those used by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics to compute employment from its monthly survey of establishments.

Now do you need that explained to you? Anyone?

ADP Employment Report

Now, we can all enjoy this falling on deaf ears and all the ignorant wingnuts will continue their dismissals of the report as if the reality of the above doesn't exist.

Let's clear up the these-are-seasonal-jobs crap about this report once and for all.

This is directly from ADP's website (uh, they did the report in case you're not paying attention)

Private-sector employment increased by 297,000 from November to December on a seasonally adjusted basis, according to the latest ADP National Employment Report® released today.

Now let's add this from the same site:

The data for both reports is collected for pay periods that can be interpolated to include the week of the 12th of each month, and processed with statistical methodologies similar to those used by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics to compute employment from its monthly survey of establishments.

Now do you need that explained to you? Anyone?

ADP Employment Report

Now, we can all enjoy this falling on deaf ears and all the ignorant wingnuts will continue their dismissals of the report as if the reality of the above doesn't exist.

Nice try, but I've already posted that info. It will never sink in. Wingnuts are immune to facts.

Retail sales were down 9.8% this past December from DEC 2009.
This is a recovery in a consumer driven economy?

Retail sales were down 9.8% this past December from DEC 2009.
This is a recovery in a consumer driven economy?

Yes.

DDIOnline.com - Survey: December 2010 U.S. Retail Sales Increase

According to the MasterCard Advisors SpendingPulse survey, U.S. retail sales were robust in December 2010, with some sectors performing at levels better than pre-recession.

Year-over-year total apparel sales in December 2010 saw its third consecutive monthly increase. At 10.9 percent, this was the year’s most vigorous monthly year-over-year growth rate, and the highest posting since March 2007. All of apparel’s sub-sectors posted strong increases, with the family and children’s categories helping to drive robust year-over-year growth within the sector.

Hmm 850 billion divided by 297,000 jobs..... yeah that Obama he dun gut

40% of which were tax cuts.

So..not sure what you are saying. Tax cuts work? Or they don't?

Obamanomics don't work.

Businesses started hiring as soon as the Progressive Jihad on Free Enterprise was halted by the November 2010 Tsunami
there is no data that supports that since the data available shows the increases started in sept and have continued to improve
but looking at the PDF file of data seems that medium and small businesses are the massive majority of this increase

Forum List

Back