NY Homeowner Arrested for Protecting His Family

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
George Grier said he had to use his rifle on Sunday night to stop what he thought was going to be an invasion of his Uniondale home by a gang he thought might have been the vicious “MS-13.”

Grier said the five men dared him to use the gun; and that their shouts brought another larger group of gang members in front of his house.

“He starts threatening my family, my life. ‘Oh you’re dead. I’m gonna kill your family and your babies. You’re dead.’ So when he says that, 20 others guys come rushing around the corner. And so I fired four warning shots into the grass,” Grier said.

You may think a person has the right to defend their home. But the law says you can only use physical force to deter physical force. Grier said he never saw anyone pull out a gun, so a court would have to decide on firing the gun.

Police determined Grier had the gun legally. He has no criminal record. And so he was not charged for the weapon.

Long Island Man Arrested For Defending Home With AK-47 CBS New York- News, Sports, Weather, Traffic and the Best of NY

No mention on whether the gang members were arrested. I guess it's legal to trespass and threaten people. Gangs must be a protected class today.

"Dreaded gang violence" on Long Island? WTF? How horrible...I always pictured it as a beautiful, safe place.

I understand the dilemma the cops have, but I understand the homeowner as well. If a group of 25 men had shouted threats at my kids, there'd be some dead bodies, not just a shot-up lawn.

I can't believe a jury would convict....

From the article Madeline:

Nassau County Police Lt. Andrew Mulraine, head of the gang unit, said MS-13 has 2,000 members in the county.

“They’re probably the most organized. They almost have a military hierarchy within the gang, so they are the most organized gang we encounter on a daily basis,” Mulraine said.

NY is run by Progressives, so if you had any doubt at all about Progressives being anti-American, Pro-Marxist this ought to end it.

I need to put my flame suit on.
It was in a ****** neighborhood.
Yes. I agree with the late Robert Byrd.
There are white ******* too.
"******' has nothing to do with skin color or nationality.
For me the term" ******" and "asswipe" are the same terminology

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FIBJt-c2o0]YouTube - Senator Robert Byrd says "white *******" on TV[/ame]

Frank, you dipwad, there is no state in the US where it is legal to fire a gun at someone because of what they said. This case falls right on the border between what is legal and what is right.

We need to ponder this, not bash NY'ers.

Frank, you dipwad, there is no state in the US where it is legal to fire a gun at someone because of what they said. This case falls right on the border between what is legal and what is right.

First you Dirty Harry, now you're calling me a dipwad?

I wonder when law enforcement will start treating gangs like they were Mafia families?

This case is a puzzler, Frank. (Sorry about the gratuitous insult.) The law of self-defense does not permit this conduct, but we all know, that family was in danger. Not sure what to do (how to amend the law) and would like to discuss, k?

I wonder when law enforcement will start treating gangs like they were Mafia families?

If you weren't such a moron, you would know they do. But then again, if you knew anything about gangs, you'd realize it is actually more difficult to catch gangs since it is more decentralized where it benefits them and where it hurts the mafia. Never mind the fact that gangs have a much easier time of getting someone in prison than the mob probably ever did.

This case is a puzzler, Frank. (Sorry about the gratuitous insult.) The law of self-defense does not permit this conduct, but we all know, that family was in danger. Not sure what to do (how to amend the law) and would like to discuss, k?

Not sure I agree with you on your premises that the law does not allow someone to fire on another person because of "mere words." I think defending oneself and/or one's family, is more a matter of reasonable apprehension on the part of the person doing the defending, rather than intent or apparent ability of the suspects.

If you are REASONABLY in fear for your own life or the life of your family, I believe you have the legal right to act on that fear, and if that includes blasting someone, so be it.

The hooker is, what's "reasonable"? The less apparent ability the attackers have, the less chance the defending shooter is going to have of beating a murder charge if he kills someone and then claims self defense. It is almost entirely a matter of the circumstances of each, particular case.

But the basic premise remains valid - that if you are in reasonable fear for your life, you may kill in self defense. Just remember - it is an objective test for what is reasonable, not subjective.

Last edited:
So, the "average homeowner" has to worry about what is reasonable yet the gang banger can act on impulses. I see the homeowner losing most of the time.

IMHO if a gang banger is threatening you VERBALLY and you feel threatened then shoot the cocksucker. It cleans up the gene pool.

So, the "average homeowner" has to worry about what is reasonable yet the gang banger can act on impulses. I see the homeowner losing most of the time.

IMHO if a gang banger is threatening you VERBALLY and you feel threatened then shoot the cocksucker. It cleans up the gene pool.

Gang banger strolls by your front yard, looks at you, and impulsively says: "You look like a jerk. I've a good mind to punch your lights out." You have a gun in your pocket.

Shoot him?

Only in Liberal la la land. Try that in Texas.
It's true. Based on what I've read and heard, Texas probably has the most approving outlook on the use of firearms to defend not only one's home but one's property, not only from invasion but from trespass. In Texas it is likely that this incident would not have gone beyond a line or two in the responding police officer's memo book.

While I'm a northerner and anti-Republican I am strongly pro-gun.

I did not know "Shot Spotter Technology" had been deployed. I have been shooting the heck out of coons & squires in my yard this year. 7 raccoons & 16 squires this year. The wife actually killed more than I did. I guess someday soon the police will pay us a visit.

The technology they use to find the source of the gunfire is interesting, but this is typical liberal New Yawk B.S. that I'm thankful I don't have to put up with.

"Dreaded gang violence" on Long Island? WTF? How horrible...I always pictured it as a beautiful, safe place.

I understand the dilemma the cops have, but I understand the homeowner as well. If a group of 25 men had shouted threats at my kids, there'd be some dead bodies, not just a shot-up lawn.

I can't believe a jury would convict....
He didn't hurt anyone and his gun is legal so he won't suffer any significant punishment or censure, but the laws in that part of the Country are such that he would be justified in discharging his weapon only if his home had been forcibly entered. As it is he'll be told that he should have called the police instead of doing what he did.

The worst that will happen, depending on the judge, is he will be considered a demonstrated risk, his weapon(s) will be confiscated and he'll be forbidden from obtaining others. More likely he will be required to attend a course in safe and lawful handling at a local range -- and there are plenty of those on Long Island.

Forum List

Back