"I also believe that only those that own land should be able to vote.

Lonestar_Logic posts: I also believe that only those that own land should be able to

• Yes, only those who own land should have the right to vote

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • No, I support universal sufferage

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • I support universal sufferage, but support positive Identification of all voters

Votes: 10 50.0%

• Total voters
Ok, I'll bite. Why shouldn't someone who rents their home be able to vote?

Speaking for myself and where i live.

Renters should NOT be allowed to vote on anything that increases property taxes. UNLESS whatever is voted upon is taxed onto each rent that is charged. So for example, if a new tax is $10 a month per property should it is also added onto each and every rent as well.

Renters should NOT be allowed to vote on anything that increases property taxes. UNLESS whatever is voted upon is taxed onto each rent that is charged. So for example, if a new tax is $10 a month per property should it is also added onto each and every rent as well.
That sounds good, at least on the surface, however having been a landlord I would pass on increases in my taxes to my tenants. Maybe not immediately, but eventually the tax finds it's way into the the rent.

the free market takes care of that imo.

the landlord will raise their rent in most cases, unless restricted by some other legal means....

in some states, renters can take a deduction on their taxes, on a portion of their rent attributed to property taxes....

It is assumed the owner's property tax is included in rent prices, as it should be...again, imo.

Brownstar_Log, like many people who have little education in history, aren't necessarily aware that this system has been tried before. In some countries that developed parliamentary democratice republics only the "landed gentry" held power so that there were very few rich and many very poor (and slaves) and the base of power was held only by the wealthy elite. And here I thought Brownstar_Log hated elitists?!

That sounds good, at least on the surface, however having been a landlord I would pass on increases in my taxes to my tenants. Maybe not immediately, but eventually the tax finds it's way into the the rent.

No, i am not saying add it into the rent. I am saying adding it on top of the rent. We have rent control in SF you cant add anything into a rent.

the landlord will raise their rent in most cases, unless restricted by some other legal means....

in some states, renters can take a deduction on their taxes, on a portion of their rent attributed to property taxes....

It is assumed the owner's property tax is included in rent prices, as it should be...again, imo.

In SF you cant raise rents to cover any costs.

For and example. If you have a 4 unit building and the tax is $10. I would want each and every renter paying $10, not splitting the tax between the units.

No, i am not saying add it into the rent. I am saying adding it on top of the rent. We have rent control in SF you cant add anything into a rent.

what's the difference syrenn? it gets added to the rent, one way or the other....rent goes up, it hits them in the pocket!

though, keeping it separate does bring more ''attention'' to it....makes the renters more aware, i suppose?

Only taxpayers should be able to vote.......and I mean real taxpayers, not the folks who pay no taxes and get a large return. If you are one of the people actually supporting the government, you get to vote. The folks living off the gubmint teat don't get to.

For and example. If you have a 4 unit building and the tax is $10. I would want each and every renter paying $10, not splitting the tax between the units.

why would you discriminate against them and why would you want the district government to get more in taxes than the $10 dollars due?

I think the idea is , hummmm positively Heinleinesque.....maybe Veterans should have special privileges to...yea, I like that.:eusa_dance:

why would you discriminate against them and why would you want the district government to get more in taxes than the $10 dollars due?

If renters vote for a tax then they should have to pay for it just like everyone else does.

Adding a tax on top of rent in my opinion is fair. Rent is high to begin with, so are mortgages. If renters feel the effect of what they are voting on, they may feel differently about voting for things if they to will actually have to pay for.

If renters vote for a tax then they should have to pay for it just like everyone else does.

Adding a tax on top of rent in my opinion is fair. Rent is high to begin with, so are mortgages. If renters feel the effect of what they are voting on, they may feel differently about voting for things if they to will actually have to pay for.

then maybe i have misunderstood you? i thought you said if the landlord's tax is $10 for a 4 unit building, you want the 4 renters to pay $10 each, which equals $40??? That's $30 bucks more than what is due???

And what if the renters voted no on the tax? How would you know such?

and what if the OWNER voted yes on the tax, why punish the renters?

your idea won't work, imo.

And another thing....should cigarette owners be the only ones voting to raise cigarette taxes?

Should those that drive be the only ones voting on the gas taxes? Should those that drive more than others get 2 votes verses the person that just drives one block?

you are opening a whole can of worms...

then maybe i have misunderstood you? i thought you said if the landlord's tax is $10 for a 4 unit building, you want the 4 renters to pay $10 each, which equals $40??? That's $30 bucks more than what is due???

Yes you understood me correctly. 4 units =$40 in taxes paid. I want renters to feel the full force of that they are gleefully voting for.

I would consider each unit a "property" that should be taxed equally with everything else.

Forum List

Back