NSA has massive database of Americans' phone calls

ScreamingEagle said:
Whoa. You mean they were doing a credit check on you without your knowledge or permission? This seems as intrusive on your privacy as anything else the government is doing with the phone companies.

And if they were supposedly "checking your credit" then what is the minimum score needed to obtain phone service? Do they publish these requirements somewhere? I've never heard of any minimum requirements.

Myself I have excellent credit, but it seems they could offer just local service which only puts them at risk for maybe only $20 a month for those who don't want to divulge their SSN or for those who have bad credit. What happens to the millions of people with bad credit? They can't get local phone service?
I know a guy that can't get cell phone service because of his credit. Nor service from some utility companies, companies he never delt with in the past..

dilloduck said:
Quite an exageration "trash everything". So typical to resort to hypebole to panic the ignorant. We haven't given up a damn thing. Show me what you have lost other than an illusion of some kind of "privacy".

Nah...I'm ignorant, remember. :whip:

The idea of the government listening to telephone conversations just doesn't bother me.

First, I have nothing to hide. Listen all you want. You'll hear me talking to my parents about the weather, the local basketball team and their vacation plans.

Second, if listening to these conversations prevents a crime from happening, be it a terrorist attack, an illegal drug transaction, a murder/assault/kidnapping, or even two pedophiles talking about the little boy and/or girl they have tied up in their basement, then I want those conversations being monitored.

Everyone screams now, but the first time something huge is prevented, or a child is saved, everyone will be thankful.

Damn! I think they are going to see pattern: we often call our local Italian restaurant on Fridays to order pizza. White pizza with spinach, to be exact.

Do you think we will get in trouble with the law? :fifty:

dilloduck said:
Quite an exageration "trash everything". So typical to resort to hypebole to panic the ignorant. We haven't given up a damn thing. Show me what you have lost other than an illusion of some kind of "privacy".
Data mining of the masses without due process or cause, is hardly an illusion, dillo.

jillian said:
Nah...I'm ignorant, remember. :whip:

Scenario----A legitimate government agent asks you if they can tap you phone because they have good reason to believe a terrorist will be calling. Would you let him?

ScreamingEagle said:
Whoa. You mean they were doing a credit check on you without your knowledge or permission? This seems as intrusive on your privacy as anything else the government is doing with the phone companies.

And if they were supposedly "checking your credit" then what is the minimum score needed to obtain phone service? Do they publish these requirements somewhere? I've never heard of any minimum requirements.

Myself I have excellent credit, but it seems they could offer just local service which only puts them at risk for maybe only $20 a month for those who don't want to divulge their SSN or for those who have bad credit. What happens to the millions of people with bad credit? They can't get local phone service?

They will tell you they are running a credit check - or at least should. I'm not sure if they use a Beacon Score or just want to see if you have any other public utility on your credit report listed as "non-paid" or in collection.

The millions who have bad credit don't get phone service. They use pre-pay landline or cellphone services. These companies are all over the place.

dilloduck said:
Scenario----A legitimate government agent asks you if they can tap you phone because they have good reason to believe a terrorist will be calling. Would you let him?

That's not illegal. Law enforcement can always do a permissive search. And in many states, a tape of a conversation is legal as long as one of the parties being taped is aware of it.

We're talking about violations of the Fourth Amendment search and seizure rules. It doesn't matter that it's facile to gather information without a warrant. It's a no-no.

Still waiting for an apology.

dilloduck said:

Without a single doubt or hestitation.

GotZoom said:
The idea of the government listening to telephone conversations just doesn't bother me.

First, I have nothing to hide. Listen all you want. You'll hear me talking to my parents about the weather, the local basketball team and their vacation plans.

Second, if listening to these conversations prevents a crime from happening, be it a terrorist attack, an illegal drug transaction, a murder/assault/kidnapping, or even two pedophiles talking about the little boy and/or girl they have tied up in their basement, then I want those conversations being monitored.

Everyone screams now, but the first time something huge is prevented, or a child is saved, everyone will be thankful.

I hate that form of argument....."I have nothing to hide". Pffft. How about we put video/audio monitors in every room of your house and then put you online so everybody can watch and listen? I mean, you have nothing to hide, right? :cool:

ScreamingEagle said:
I hate that form of argument....."I have nothing to hide". Pffft. How about we put video monitors in every room of your house and then put you online so everybody can watch? I mean, you have nothing to hide, right? :cool:
If you wanna watch me :wank: then so be it.

ScreamingEagle said:
I hate that form of argument....."I have nothing to hide". Pffft. How about we put video monitors in every room of your house and then put you online so everybody can watch? I mean, you have nothing to hide, right? :cool:

Good..take my agreeing with one issue and stretch it to the extreme with the other.

Of course I would not be agreeable to cameras in every room of my house.

I have never stated that I was all for giving up every one of my rights.

Monitor my phone calls, sure. Cameras in my house, nah. I'll pass.

jillian said:
Yeah...me, too. But again, not illegal to do a permissive search.

So there ya go.

Back to work! Been fun!

Laterz!

ok--so the government forgot to say "mother may I" ? You don't have any problems when private corporations do it. Idealism is honorable but many times inefficient. There is no evidence to show that any harm is intended by this data gathering and possible harm is presumptuous and assumes that nothing will or can be done to right any wrong that occurs while our intelligence agencies are trying to protect us. Let the damn intelligence people do thier jobs.

GotZoom said:
Good..take my agreeing with one issue and stretch it to the extreme with the other.

Of course I would not be agreeable to cameras in every room of my house.

I have never stated that I was all for giving up every one of my rights.

Monitor my phone calls, sure. Cameras in my house, nah. I'll pass.

Thus the frog sits and stews to death.

ScreamingEagle said:
Thus the frog sits and stews to death.

Giving up one or two rights to help ensure safety and security does not the downfall of society make.

We give up rights every day.

Forum List

Back