Now gay people can get married AND enjoy lobster!

Maine Gay Marriage Legalized

Maine Governor John Baldacci signed Wednesday into law a bill legalizing gay marriage in the state. The move makes Maine the fifth state to allow gay marriage.
The press release:
Governor John E. Baldacci today signed into law LD 1020, An Act to End Discrimination in Civil Marriage and Affirm Religious Freedom.
"I have followed closely the debate on this issue. I have listened to both sides, as they have presented their arguments during the public hearing and on the floor of the Maine Senate and the House of Representatives. I have read many of the notes and letters sent to my office, and I have weighed my decision carefully," Governor Baldacci said. "I did not come to this decision lightly or in haste."
"I appreciate the tone brought to this debate by both sides of the issue," Governor Baldacci said. "This is an emotional issue that touches deeply many of our most important ideals and traditions. There are good, earnest and honest people on both sides of the question."
"In the past, I opposed gay marriage while supporting the idea of civil unions," Governor Baldacci said. "I have come to believe that this is a question of fairness and of equal protection under the law, and that a civil union is not equal to civil marriage."
"Article I in the Maine Constitution states that 'no person shall be deprived of life, liberty or property without due process of law, nor be denied the equal protection of the laws, nor be denied the enjoyment of that person's civil rights or be discriminated against.'"
"This new law does not force any religion to recognize a marriage that falls outside of its beliefs. It does not require the church to perform any ceremony with which it disagrees. Instead, it reaffirms the separation of Church and State," Governor Baldacci said.
"It guarantees that Maine citizens will be treated equally under Maine's civil marriage laws, and that is the responsibility of government."
"Even as I sign this important legislation into law, I recognize that this may not be the final word," Governor Baldacci said. "Just as the Maine Constitution demands that all people are treated equally under the law, it also guarantees that the ultimate political power in the State belongs to the people."
"While the good and just people of Maine may determine this issue, my responsibility is to uphold the Constitution and do, as best as possible, what is right. I believe that signing this legislation is the right thing to do," Governor Baldacci said.

So when are you moving to Maine?

When you move there with me, sweetheart!

What .. so the only statistics that are valid are those "approved" by one specific group, organization, or what? Statistics are just numbers based on an observation, my personal experience shows that there is a 75% chance a straight couple will split up within 5 years of starting the relationship while gay couples have only a 20% chance ... there, does that make the statistic more valid since I gave numbers to it?

Making up numbers doesn't prove anything.
Your personal claims are not proof of anything nor statistics.
You got caught, and now you are trying to back peddle.
Just for that, you deserve another one, :slap:

It's not making up numbers, and just because I don't have published stats to go by doesn't make them less valid, they are still statistics and gathered in no less a scientific method than any other. Personal observation trumps anything posted online, especially when there are none published.

If there is nothing published (and peer reviewed) concerning the matter, then that means there are no actual scientific statistics.
Gee, maybe I will just fling our my personal observations and call them valid statistics.

Here's one of my personal observations.......
I've had four friends in my life that I knew were gay. 3 of them died from AIDS, therefore, if you are gay and a friend of mine and I know you are gay, you have a 75% chance of dieing of AIDS.
Now doesn't that just sound ridiculous?

It's not making up numbers, and just because I don't have published stats to go by doesn't make them less valid, they are still statistics and gathered in no less a scientific method than any other. Personal observation trumps anything posted online, especially when there are none published.

If there is nothing published (and peer reviewed) concerning the matter, then that means there are no actual scientific statistics.
Gee, maybe I will just fling our my personal observations and call them valid statistics.

I've had four friends in my life that I knew were gay. 3 of them died from AIDS, therefore, if you are gay and a friend of mine and I know you are gay, you have a 75% chance of dieing of AIDS.

UK Data Shows: Gay Divorce Rate Approaches Zero :: EDGE Boston

No, and if there weren't any observed contradictions from the medical community then I would be able to say you were wrong, only offer my own statistics to counter with ... of course if you really knew much about how they get most statistics used by the government you really wouldn't listen to any of those published.

So, an actual news article based upon Pink News, not exactly an unbiased source now, is it? I don't see where it was a scientifically peer reviewed study.
But at least you came up with something other than your own personal opinion.
Maybe it's true, maybe it's not. I never made a claim either way, all I asked for was proof. But, personally, I don't find Pink News to be a reliable source for that type of information, do you?

So, an actual news article based upon Pink News, not exactly an unbiased source now, is it? I don't see where it was a scientifically peer reviewed study.
But at least you came up with something other than your own personal opinion.
Maybe it's true, maybe it's not. I never made a claim either way, all I asked for was proof. But, personally, I don't find Pink News to be a reliable source for that type of information, do you?

Now you see the problem ... almost. The exact same thing can be said about anyone who gathers statistics, period. They are not fact, just based on fact.

No, and if there weren't any observed contradictions from the medical community then I would be able to say you were wrong, only offer my own statistics to counter with ... of course if you really knew much about how they get most statistics used by the government you really wouldn't listen to any of those published.
Please let me know when somebody observed a contradiction to all the conditions I made (those would be in red, above), because I damn sure don't remember any scientific study asking me about the gay friends I had.
Do you remember a scientific study about the gay people you've know and made claims about in your above posts?

Please let me know when somebody observed a contradiction to all the conditions I made (those would be in red, above), because I damn sure don't remember any scientific study asking me about the gay friends I had.
Do you remember a scientific study about the gay people you've know and made claims about in your above posts?

The last part is definitely far from what the facts show, you are assuming that 100% of gay people get AIDs and that no one else does, which we know is wrong.

The last part is definitely far from what the facts show, you are assuming that 100% of gay people get AIDs and that no one else does, which we know is wrong.

I'm not assuming anything, I merely flung out an observation of mine, the same way you flung out an observation of yous, and you tried to call it a statistic. Remember?
I was pointing out the flaw in your argument.

I'm not assuming anything, I merely flung out an observation of mine, the same way you flung out an observation of yous, and you tried to call it a statistic. Remember?

As I stated, a statistic is a mathematical representation of an observation, nothing more in most cases, even those that are "scientific" are often just observational.

As I stated, a statistic is a mathematical representation of an observation, nothing more in most cases, even those that are "scientific" are often just observational.

So, your observations in your personal life are statistics, but mine aren't?
Not that I ever claimed mine were, I merely used that as an example to point out how ridiculous your claim was.

So, your observations in your personal life are statistics, but mine aren't?
Not that I ever claimed mine were, I merely used that as an example to point out how ridiculous your claim was.

As I clarified earlier, there are no studies done other than the one posted, which you suspect just because of who did it, so there is nothing more to say other than what I know based on what I have witnessed first hand. All studies are easy to show bias, so there is no point in using other statistics most times, nitpicking it does nothing to prove your case though.

it would have been better for Maine had they just got the state out of the marriage business
but it figures this stupid state wouldnt do it the right way
they dont do anything else the right way

Maine Gay Marriage Legalized

Maine Governor John Baldacci signed Wednesday into law a bill legalizing gay marriage in the state. The move makes Maine the fifth state to allow gay marriage.
The press release:

So when are you moving to Maine?

When you move there with me, sweetheart!
stay where you are, you couldn't stand it up here
sometimes the power goes out, and the heating doesn't work
and when that happens you have to do something more effective than whine on the internet and bitch at some low level bureaucrat on the phone

it would have been better for Maine had they just got the state out of the marriage business
but it figures this stupid state wouldnt do it the right way
they dont do anything else the right way

The government is already involved in marriage, unless you are advocating they remove all legal effects of marriage then your point is moot.

Forum List

Back