CDZ Not sure what to take away from this

Guns should not be used on animals

Only on other humans.

My two cents.

Skye, disagree entirely with that.

If that animal was going to try to get my kid it was going to die by gun or my own teeth.

Your mother hopefully would have tried to kill whatever threatened you I hope.

On second thought, I see no reason to have a 1 on 1 with a dog even if it was only my own hide on the line much less my kid's. Were you thinking of something else maybe? If you don't reconsider I will never give any value to any of your posts.

my answer is in post #18

I;m glad the op is thinking about what happened today...

so, does carrying a gun actually make one safer, or just an easier unnecessary killer of another life, over a misunderstanding between man and animal, or even worse...between man and man???

I'm glad you did not have your gun...and did not put your son through the trauma of killing the dog would have done, but instead he learned that the dog was not going to kill him, and that dad, was a hero!
I can kill anything on this Earth with or without a gun if need be.

Sticks and stones -- the oldest weapons in the world.

Prehistoric humans killed mammoths with spears made of wood for thousands of years.

Actually I prefer to hunt with my archery gear. The arrowheads are triple razors however, not flint. The arrow goes all the way through the animal without stopping. The animal bleeds to death internally within its lungs.

Only on other humans.

My two cents.

If that animal was going to try to get my kid it was going to die by gun or my own teeth.

On second thought, I see no reason to have a 1 on 1 with a dog even if it was only my own hide on the line much less my kid's. Were you thinking of something else maybe? If you don't reconsider I will never give any value to any of your posts.
Of all the responsibilities that people have on this Earth, nothing is greater than protecting their children. In 2nd place would be protecting their Nation.

so, does carrying a gun actually make one safer, or just an easier unnecessary killer of another life, over a misunderstanding between man and animal, or even worse...between man and man???

I'm glad you did not have your gun...and did not put your son through the trauma of killing the dog would have done, but instead he learned that the dog was not going to kill him, and that dad, was a hero!

That's one way of thinking about it. The gun was NOT necessary THIS time and the ending was the best I could hope for.

Having the gun everyplace reasonable has its own safety liability.

I have some thoughts though about being the decider of my own fate.

Time will tell what the kid takes from it. Him thinking that dog or any crazy dog might kill him isn't a bad thing, but I don't want him needlessly scared of dogs.

I made sure even though we left the area we kept fishing though.

That's one way of thinking about it. The gun was NOT necessary THIS time and the ending was the best I could hope for.

Time will tell what the kid takes from it. Him thinking that dog or any crazy dog might kill him isn't a bad thing, but I don't want him needlessly scared of dogs.

Gun goes on your hip everywhere unless they prohibit it at work and then you lock it up in your car in a metal box chained inside the vehicle.

Gun goes under your pillow when not on your hip or in your car.

24/7/365.

Only on other humans.

My two cents.

my answer is in post #18

My apologies then. I skipped over it or may have been typing when you posted 18..

I'm not a vegetarian, heck, I trade for summer sausage, but I don't go hunting myself.

Only on other humans.

My two cents.

my answer is in post #18

My apologies then. I skipped over it or may have been typing when you posted 18..

I'm not a vegetarian, heck, I trade for summer sausage, but I don't go hunting myself.

I understand. :)

Only on other humans.

My two cents.

my answer is in post #18

Hunting, fishing, spearfishing, and archery hunting are the most primal instincts known to man. It is more powerful than sex.

Only on other humans.

My two cents.

my answer is in post #18

Hunting, fishing, spearfishing, and archery hunting are the most primal instincts known to man. It is more powerful than sex.

Oh, don't get me wrong. If I was hungry them rabbits, deer, maggots, whatever better stay clear.

Gun goes on your hip everywhere unless they prohibit it at work and then you lock it up in your car in a metal box chained inside the vehicle.

24/7/365.
I know you have mentioned seeing some awful or illegal things in your life, and I have had none...so we've got the Venus and Mars thing going on, we couldn't be more different and not just our genders, when it comes to this 'gun' thing you've got going with yourself...

But I can't help wondering, WHAT IN THE WORLD happened to you to make you so scared to actually live life, without a gun on your hip? I am imagining you wearing only a holster and gun on hip.... when doing the naughty with your wife or girlfriend...lol :eek: ...what has made you so paranoid...something had to have happened that triggered this...???

Wonder what to take away from this.
Stick to virtual fishing on line.

I've heard of something called cat fishing that seems popular. Maybe start with that.

Join an on line fishing message board, perhaps, so you'll have fish stories to tell your kid.

Don't act scared in front of strange dogs.

Only on other humans.

My two cents.

my answer is in post #18

Oh, don't get me wrong. If I was hungry them rabbits, deer, maggots, whatever better stay clear.
My cat brings home mice and rats.

He can help us survive !!

But I can't help wondering, WHAT IN THE WORLD happened to you to make you so scared to actually live life, without a gun on your hip? I am imagining you wearing only a holster and gun on hip.... when doing the naughty with your wife or girlfriend...lol :eek: ...what has made you so paranoid...something had to have happened that triggered this...???
1 - A Negro riot -- got caught in it on my way to the movies with 3 friends.

2 - A dozen burglaries in the parking lot, half of which I interceded-in with my 9x19 Browning.

3 - one subway car jacking by 2 dope dealers who beat up somebody while they held the others hostage.

4 - one murder in my residential complex.

I would have no problem with shooting an aggressive dog that accosted me on public property. And then the owner, if necessary.

Dogs act that way often out of fear....if you avert your eyes, ignore it and pay no attention, they'll calm and investigate or leave.

Different if it's a dog pack though.

I had an experience earlier which inspired another post and this one.

Out shore fishing with one of the kids I had seen a dog go by with these two fellows on a boat. Looked like some kind of big boxer mix and was kinda cool on the bow of the boat.

Later when we were on the rocks it came around the corner on us and put a little startle into us both. It wasn't moving too fast and its body language didn't seem aggressive to me but it took the high ground above the 3 foot rock shore we were down fishing on and wouldn't let us up.

I did what I guess is the usual calling it "good puppy" a few times. Heck, it had a collar on and LOOKED trained before so I even tried telling it to sit lol. It wasn't barking but wasn't rolling on its belly wanting petted either and it prevented us from getting off the lack after we circling to the right as far as we could. I put myself between it and my kid, had my kid hand me the metal rod holder. I didn't even have a darned filet knife with me!

The darned thing ended up RIGHT in front of me and barked. Man if I had my gun on me I would have shot it right then. Instead I took a step forward figuring it was time to feed my left arm to it while stabbing it with the metal rod holder my right.

Lucky for all involved it backed up, barked and ran off situation solved.

Man, I would have shot something tonight and it would not have been for the best. BUT, having to stand down some stupid dog which was honestly probably just startled by us was stupid.

Guess I could have stood on the shore forever waiting for it to decide what to do. Shooting it would have sure created some paperwork with local law enforcement but would have meant a near 0% chance the dog and me ended up going at it in front of my kid or worse my kid getting attacked.

Sticks near the kids make me nervous lol. Honestly it happened pretty slowly though, even if I had a locked gun on me though I had time.

Wonder what to take away from this.

No filet knife? What if you caught something tasty?

Oh my gosh, you're saying that if the dog was attacking you or your kid, you'd be happy to not have a gun? Say it wasn't a dog, just a man, do you still not want a gun? What about a bear? So you'd Op out of protecting yourself and your kids?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad there wasn't any need for protection...but I'd make a guess tornado would have felt a LOT more safe, with his gun on him...and even you'd feel a lot more safe in any of those situations. Think of a gun like a spare tire, you don't ever want to use, but if god forbid you ever ever need it, you'll be happy you have it.

Oh my gosh, you're saying that if the dog was attacking you or your kid, you'd be happy to not have a gun? Say it wasn't a dog, just a man, do you still not want a gun? What about a bear? So you'd Op out of protecting yourself and your kids?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad there wasn't any need for protection...but I'd make a guess tornado would have felt a LOT more safe, with his gun on him...and even you'd feel a lot more safe in any of those situations. Think of a gun like a spare tire, you don't ever want to use, but if god forbid you ever ever need it, you'll be happy you have it.

Sometimes you don't need a gun. Not having a gun might make you think of other solutions :dunno:

24/7/365.

Right. A coward needs his gun near 24/7 so he doesn't have to pee his pants every time something unexpected happens. As long as he can kill something on a whim, he's fine.

Sometimes you don't need a gun. Not having a gun might make you think of other solutions :dunno:

So if you own a gun, you automatically rule out other options?? And in the moment where only a good person with a gun stops something bad from happening? What about those situations? Do you not have a right to defend yourself, you're life, your family, and the people around you?

And just because you have a gun, you HAVE to shoot it in order to protect yourself? If someone brandishes a knife and you have a gun, if that person is in their right mind, are you going to have to fire at them? Do you know how many crimes are stopped by citizens who never fire a shot? Happens ALL the time, you don't hear about it, because no one dies, no one gets robbed/attacked/etc, and also it's not sensational enough for the news. The Swiss citizens walk around with full autos, no one cares, no one is scared, no one feels unsafe, and it's the safest place on earth. Why is that?

Forum List

Back