CDZ Not sure what to take away from this

Toronado3800

Gold Member
Nov 15, 2009
I had an experience earlier which inspired another post and this one.

Out shore fishing with one of the kids I had seen a dog go by with these two fellows on a boat. Looked like some kind of big boxer mix and was kinda cool on the bow of the boat.

Later when we were on the rocks it came around the corner on us and put a little startle into us both. It wasn't moving too fast and its body language didn't seem aggressive to me but it took the high ground above the 3 foot rock shore we were down fishing on and wouldn't let us up.

I did what I guess is the usual calling it "good puppy" a few times. Heck, it had a collar on and LOOKED trained before so I even tried telling it to sit lol. It wasn't barking but wasn't rolling on its belly wanting petted either and it prevented us from getting off the lack after we circling to the right as far as we could. I put myself between it and my kid, had my kid hand me the metal rod holder. I didn't even have a darned filet knife with me!

The darned thing ended up RIGHT in front of me and barked. Man if I had my gun on me I would have shot it right then. Instead I took a step forward figuring it was time to feed my left arm to it while stabbing it with the metal rod holder my right.

Lucky for all involved it backed up, barked and ran off situation solved.

Man, I would have shot something tonight and it would not have been for the best. BUT, having to stand down some stupid dog which was honestly probably just startled by us was stupid.

Guess I could have stood on the shore forever waiting for it to decide what to do. Shooting it would have sure created some paperwork with local law enforcement but would have meant a near 0% chance the dog and me ended up going at it in front of my kid or worse my kid getting attacked.

Sticks near the kids make me nervous lol. Honestly it happened pretty slowly though, even if I had a locked gun on me though I had time.

Wonder what to take away from this.

Never go anywhere without a gun.

Never go anywhere without a knife either.

Gun on the strong side.

Knife on the other side.

When you shoot at an animal whether a dog or a bear, always shoot into the dirt in front of it.

That will kick dirt and pebbles up into its face and the blast and noise will normally scare off the dog or bear.

If in self defense then you should be able to get a judge to dismiss the case against you for shooting within city limits.

If you were outside of city limits then the sheriff should not care much.

Out shore fishing with one of the kids I had seen a dog go by with these two fellows on a boat. Looked like some kind of big boxer mix and was kinda cool on the bow of the boat.

Later when we were on the rocks it came around the corner on us and put a little startle into us both. It wasn't moving too fast and its body language didn't seem aggressive to me but it took the high ground above the 3 foot rock shore we were down fishing on and wouldn't let us up.

I did what I guess is the usual calling it "good puppy" a few times. Heck, it had a collar on and LOOKED trained before so I even tried telling it to sit lol. It wasn't barking but wasn't rolling on its belly wanting petted either and it prevented us from getting off the lack after we circling to the right as far as we could. I put myself between it and my kid, had my kid hand me the metal rod holder. I didn't even have a darned filet knife with me!

The darned thing ended up RIGHT in front of me and barked. Man if I had my gun on me I would have shot it right then. Instead I took a step forward figuring it was time to feed my left arm to it while stabbing it with the metal rod holder my right.

Man, I would have shot something tonight and it would not have been for the best. BUT, having to stand down some stupid dog which was honestly probably just startled by us was stupid.

Guess I could have stood on the shore forever waiting for it to decide what to do. Shooting it would have sure created some paperwork with local law enforcement but would have meant a near 0% chance the dog and me ended up going at it in front of my kid or worse my kid getting attacked.

Sticks near the kids make me nervous lol. Honestly it happened pretty slowly though, even if I had a locked gun on me though I had time.

That is a hard one. I am such a dog lover, my instinct would tell me he fell out of the boat and was scared. I know I would have stayed my distance. letting him know I didn't mean ill. Then if I had food, I would have put it yards away from me or throw it to him. Actually that could probably the worst thing I could do, I don't know. Shooting the dog would never occur to me unless he was coming forward at a high rate with teeth bared. You had a child to think of.

When you shoot at an animal whether a dog or a bear, always shoot into the dirt in front of it.

That will kick dirt and pebbles up into its face and the blast and noise will normally scare off the dog or bear.

If in self defense then you should be able to get a judge to dismiss the case against you for shooting within city limits.

Very interesting, yios!

I read your posted

Dogs are NOT stupid.

Perhaps you are.

Very interesting, yios!
My father taught me not to kill anything that (1) was not trying to kill me or (2) that I did not plan to eat.

I don't eat dogs. I am not Asian.

Guns should not be used on animals

Only on other humans.

My two cents.

That is a hard one. I am such a dog lover, my instinct would tell me he fell out of the boat and was scared. I know I would have stayed my distance. letting him know I didn't mean ill. Then if I had food, I would have put it yards away from me or throw it to him. Actually that could probably the worst thing I could do, I don't know. Shooting the dog would never occur to me unless he was coming forward at a high rate with teeth bared. You had a child to think of.
This works with coyotes too.

If you toss them some food then they leave you alone.

I have done this on desert camping trips.

The 'yotes seem to like canned tuna a lot.

I read your posted

Dogs are NOT stupid.

Perhaps you are.
You talking to me?

no to the OP
Oh, thought it was me. Was going to agree with you, lol.

whatever

use guns on human beings if you must

not on animals

that's all I'm saying here
I wouldn't go that far. If a wild animal was coming at me, I might or probably would take action.

that's an exception

but kill an animal for killing's sake?

no

I;m glad the op is thinking about what happened today...

so, does carrying a gun actually make one safer, or just an easier unnecessary killer of another life, over a misunderstanding between man and animal, or even worse...between man and man???

I'm glad you did not have your gun...and did not put your son through the trauma of killing the dog would have done, but instead he learned that the dog was not going to kill him, and that dad, was a hero!

Guns should not be used on animals

Only on other humans.

My two cents.

Skye, I disagree entirely with that.

If that animal was going to try to get my kid it was going to die by gun or my own teeth.

Your mother hopefully would have tried to kill whatever threatened you I hope.

On second thought, I see no reason to have a 1 on 1 with a dog even if it was only my own hide on the line much less my kid's. Were you thinking of something else maybe? If you don't reconsider I will never give any value to any of your posts.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back