CDZ Not sure what to take away from this

I;m glad the op is thinking about what happened today...

so, does carrying a gun actually make one safer, or just an easier unnecessary killer of another life, over a misunderstanding between man and animal, or even worse...between man and man???

I'm glad you did not have your gun...and did not put your son through the trauma of killing the dog would have done, but instead he learned that the dog was not going to kill him, and that dad, was a hero!

Oh my gosh, you're saying that if the dog was attacking you or your kid, you'd be happy to not have a gun? Say it wasn't a dog, just a man, do you still not want a gun? What about a bear? So you'd Op out of protecting yourself and your kids?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad there wasn't any need for protection...but I'd make a guess tornado would have felt a LOT more safe, with his gun on him...and even you'd feel a lot more safe in any of those situations. Think of a gun like a spare tire, you don't ever want to use, but if god forbid you ever ever need it, you'll be happy you have it.
If he had his gun, he would have very likely, killed a man's best friend...it might have made ''him feel'' safer having the gun... but by not having it, he found another way, and a man;s best friend, is still alive today.

It was a ''learning moment'', an awakening of sorts, that God allowed him to have...hopefully he takes this experience that he had, and puts it to good use, when he is 'tested' again in a similar experience, in the future to come....

That's how I see it... I don't think you will be able to change my view.... :p

Last edited:

so, does carrying a gun actually make one safer, or just an easier unnecessary killer of another life, over a misunderstanding between man and animal, or even worse...between man and man???

I'm glad you did not have your gun...and did not put your son through the trauma of killing the dog would have done, but instead he learned that the dog was not going to kill him, and that dad, was a hero!

That's one way of thinking about it. The gun was NOT necessary THIS time and the ending was the best I could hope for.

Having the gun everyplace reasonable has its own safety liability.

I have some thoughts though about being the decider of my own fate.

Time will tell what the kid takes from it. Him thinking that dog or any crazy dog might kill him isn't a bad thing, but I don't want him needlessly scared of dogs.

I made sure even though we left the area we kept fishing though.
Gun goes on your hip everywhere unless they prohibit it at work and then you lock it up in your car in a metal box chained inside the vehicle.

Gun goes under your pillow when not on your hip or in your car.

24/7/365.

Right. A coward needs his gun near 24/7 so he doesn't have to pee his pants every time something unexpected happens. As long as he can kill something on a whim, he's fine.
So cops are cowards? And citizens should have less of a right to self defense as police...who take 4-10 minutes to show up...Cops who recommend citizens become gun owners for that very reason.

Do you know what would stop a lot of rape, buy your girl/wife/daughter a gun. Get her trained. Me and my girlfriend talked about getting her one for a while, but never committed. Then one guy tried getting in her car, but she drove off before anything, and I said we are getting you a gun for your birthday. Which was a few months later. A few weeks after that, she got scared shitless by 2 guys following her in Walmart, and next day she got an early birthday present. Hasn't had to ever use it since (this was about a year and half ago), but we both have a much better piece of mind knowing she's capable of being able to defend herself against almost anything, if it were to happen. Now is she a coward?

That's one way of thinking about it. The gun was NOT necessary THIS time and the ending was the best I could hope for.

Time will tell what the kid takes from it. Him thinking that dog or any crazy dog might kill him isn't a bad thing, but I don't want him needlessly scared of dogs.

Gun goes on your hip everywhere unless they prohibit it at work and then you lock it up in your car in a metal box chained inside the vehicle.

24/7/365.

Right. A coward needs his gun near 24/7 so he doesn't have to pee his pants every time something unexpected happens. As long as he can kill something on a whim, he's fine.
So cops are cowards? And citizens should have less of a right to self defense as police...who take 4-10 minutes to show up...Cops who recommend citizens become gun owners for that very reason.

Do you know what would stop a lot of rape, buy your girl/wife/daughter a gun. Get her trained. Me and my girlfriend talked about getting her one for a while, but never committed. Then one guy tried getting in her car, but she drove off before anything, and I said we are getting you a gun for your birthday. Which was a few months later. A few weeks after that, she got scared shitless by 2 guys following her in Walmart, and next day she got an early birthday present. Hasn't had to ever use it since (this was about a year and half ago), but we both have a much better piece of mind knowing she's capable of being able to defend herself against almost anything, if it were to happen. Now is she a coward?

If she is armed every time she is in public, then yes. she is a coward.

Oh my gosh, you're saying that if the dog was attacking you or your kid, you'd be happy to not have a gun? Say it wasn't a dog, just a man, do you still not want a gun? What about a bear? So you'd Op out of protecting yourself and your kids?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad there wasn't any need for protection...but I'd make a guess tornado would have felt a LOT more safe, with his gun on him...and even you'd feel a lot more safe in any of those situations. Think of a gun like a spare tire, you don't ever want to use, but if god forbid you ever ever need it, you'll be happy you have it.
If he had his gun, he would have very likely, killed a man's best friend...it might have made ''him feel'' safer having the gun... but by not having it, he found another way, and a man;s best friend, is still alive today.

It was a ''learning moment'', an awakening of sorts, that God allowed him to have...hopefully he takes this experience that he had, and put it to good use, when he is 'tested' again in a similar experience, in the future to come....

Your view of claiming to know what tornado would probably do in that situation?

That could've very easily turned bad, 5 million dogs attacks happen per year, and 20-30 result in deaths, usually among CHILDREN. Which is quadruple what bears do. I actually had to put down a beloved childhood dog for attacking a girl in the neighborhood. I've seen it myself, it sucks, and it happens in an instant, don't even know why she attacked or what set her off, it just happened. So your ok with tornado and his kid being at more risk, so that they could learn a lesson...that just happened to turn out ok (although that dog sounds very aggressive, and will probably wind up being a problem). To me it sounds like you care more about the dog than those two. I love dogs, but they are nothing more domesticated predators, and while most aren't dangerous, they very well can be.

24/7/365.

At least you're kind of consistent. But yea I guess she's got nothing to worry about ever, lightning only strikes twice right?

Really what you're saying is that you give two shits for her safety, even though she works ina bad neighborhood...with the autistic in a underserved area for the very reason that it's a bad neighborhood. Better something bad happen to her, than for her to be able to protect herself, right? You have got to be kidding me.

A gun is a tool. I can use a knife to cut tomatoes, or slice a throat. I can take a shit in a toilet or drown someone in it. I can drive my car to work, or I can hop on the London bridge walkway and mow down a crowed. I can use a gun to protect myself, and those around me, or I can use it to murder someone. And what stops the people who use guns to murder people, news flash, it's not usaually a nightstick.

Sometimes you don't need a gun. Not having a gun might make you think of other solutions :dunno:

So if you own a gun, you automatically rule out other options?? And in the moment where only a good person with a gun stops something bad from happening? What about those situations? Do you not have a right to defend yourself, you're life, your family, and the people around you?

And just because you have a gun, you HAVE to shoot it in order to protect yourself? If someone brandishes a knife and you have a gun, if that person is in their right mind, are you going to have to fire at them? Do you know how many crimes are stopped by citizens who never fire a shot? Happens ALL the time, you don't hear about it, because no one dies, no one gets robbed/attacked/etc, and also it's not sensational enough for the news. The Swiss citizens walk around with full autos, no one cares, no one is scared, no one feels unsafe, and it's the safest place on earth. Why is that?
If you don't have gun...you don't. You have to consider other options.

If you have gun, you can but you don't have to.

It was a ''learning moment'', an awakening of sorts, that God allowed him to have...hopefully he takes this experience that he had, and put it to good use, when he is 'tested' again in a similar experience, in the future to come....

It was NOT my view, it was Toronado's.

The darned thing ended up RIGHT in front of me and barked. Man if I had my gun on me I would have shot it right then. Instead I took a step forward figuring it was time to feed my left arm to it while stabbing it with the metal rod holder my right.

Lucky for all involved it backed up, barked and ran off situation solved.

Man, I would have shot something tonight and it would not have been for the best.

Last edited:

Sometimes you don't need a gun. Not having a gun might make you think of other solutions :dunno:

So if you own a gun, you automatically rule out other options?? And in the moment where only a good person with a gun stops something bad from happening? What about those situations? Do you not have a right to defend yourself, you're life, your family, and the people around you?

And just because you have a gun, you HAVE to shoot it in order to protect yourself? If someone brandishes a knife and you have a gun, if that person is in their right mind, are you going to have to fire at them? Do you know how many crimes are stopped by citizens who never fire a shot? Happens ALL the time, you don't hear about it, because no one dies, no one gets robbed/attacked/etc, and also it's not sensational enough for the news. The Swiss citizens walk around with full autos, no one cares, no one is scared, no one feels unsafe, and it's the safest place on earth. Why is that?

...And if you don't, just cross your fingers that don't ever need one? If I went on my boat without life jackets, if something were to happen, would I be stupid for not taking them? Even though I'll most likely never have to use my life jackets...and I can swim...but if I'm a couple miles off shore or even a half a mile.

24/7/365.

At least you're kind of consistent. But yea I guess she's got nothing to worry about ever, lightning only strikes twice right?

Really what you're saying is that you give two shits for her safety, even though she works ina bad neighborhood...with the autistic in a underserved area for the very reason that it's a bad neighborhood. Better something bad happen to her, than for her to be able to protect herself, right? You have got to be kidding me.

A gun is a tool. I can use a knife to cut tomatoes, or slice a throat. I can take a shit in a toilet or drown someone in it. I can drive my car to work, or I can hop on the London bridge walkway and mow down a crowed. I can use a gun to protect myself, and those around me, or I can use it to murder someone. And what stops the people who use guns to murder people, news flash, it's not usaually a nightstick.

So what are the multiple uses for a gun? You can shoot someone, or you can ???????????? Help me out here. All I can come up with is shoot someone. Sorry, but I don't get much call for a tool like that. Do you?

It was NOT my view, it was Tornado's.

The darned thing ended up RIGHT in front of me and barked. Man if I had my gun on me I would have shot it right then. Instead I took a step forward figuring it was time to feed my left arm to it while stabbing it with the metal rod holder my right.

Man, I would have shot something tonight and it would not have been for the best.
And if he would've had a gun, probably would not be as afraid, and the dog would not be reacting to that fear as much. Remember when prey is scared, predators know that prey is getting ready to run, and they need to set themselves up to attack before it's too late. That's what that whole "dogs can smell fear" means.

Either way I'm glad nothing happened, but that situation is a little more than a misunderstanding. That's an aggressive dog. And your more worried about an inanimate object that statistically has a much lower chance at harming someone over an aggressive dog. If your scared of the gun, there's no reason you should not be equally if not more afraid of that dog.

And if he would've had a gun, probably would not be as afraid, and the dog would not be reacting to that fear as much. Remember when prey is scared, predators know that prey is getting ready to run, and they need to set themselves up to attack before it's too late. That's what that whole "dogs can smell fear" means.

Either way I'm glad nothing happened, but that situation is a little more than a misunderstanding. That's an aggressive dog. And your more worried about an inanimate object that statistically has a much lower chance at harming someone over an aggressive dog. If your scared of the gun, there's no reason you should not be equally if not more afraid of that dog.

Who is afraid of guns? I'm scared of the gun nut Rambo wanna bees that are hoping for a chance to use their gun. Don't tell me you don't think there are plenty of idiots out there like that. We both know there are.

24/7/365.

So what are the multiple uses for a gun? You can shoot someone, or you can ???????????? Help me out here. All I can come up with is shoot someone. Sorry, but I don't get much call for a tool like that. Do you?
PROTECTION, this is why our presidents, politicians, celebrities have ARMED guards, is because it's a very effective tool for protection. You could have Jackie chan on steroids as your personal guard, the reality is Jackie chan still probably looses against a gun. Now let's say your a 5 foot 98 pound women going up against Dolph Lundgren trying to rape her, 5 foot women wins if she has a gun. Guns are an equalizer.

And again you don't have to actually SHOOT the gun to use it as protection. And no one said it had to have multiple uses to be effective at its job. A knife cuts, weather its human flesh, or a rope, it cuts. Why aren't you demanding another role for a knife? I don't have to shoot someone with my gun, raccoons kill my chickens, I don't like it, if my lazy ass dog actually wakes me up when it happens, I go out and shoot at the coons, keeping my chickens alive. Believe me, I've been outside at 3 in the morning, without a gun taking videos of these bastards that don't get scared off by lights turning on, me walking towards them, or me throwing stuff at them...just waiting in the tree for me to leave. What makes them leave is a 12 gauge. And if I still hunted, I no longer have the time, although I go out maybe once or twice a year and not see a thing, I use a gun or a bow for that. The only other function for a bow is to shoot something with that, where's your stance on that?

And again the Swiss citizens walk around with fully automatic assault rifles, and it's the safest place on earth...if guns were the problem, then why are they not the problem there...with full autos, where you're practically issued one if you choose to keep it. We're talking guns that aren't even legal here, they are openly walking around with, no one is scared, no one feels unsafe, no one bats an eyelash.

PROTECTION, this is why our presidents, politicians, celebrities have ARMED guards, is because it's a very effective tool for protection. You could have Jackie chan on steroids as your personal guard, the reality is Jackie chan still probably looses against a gun. Now let's say your a 5 foot 98 pound women going up against Dolph Lundgren trying to rape her, 5 foot women wins if she has a gun. Guns are an equalizer.

And again you don't have to actually SHOOT the gun to use it as protection. And no one said it had to have multiple uses to be effective at its job. A knife cuts, weather its human flesh, or a rope, it cuts. Why aren't you demanding another role for a knife? I don't have to shoot someone with my gun, raccoons kill my chickens, I don't like it, if my lazy ass dog actually wakes me up when it happens, I go out and shoot at the coons, keeping my chickens alive. Believe me, I've been outside at 3 in the morning, without a gun taking videos of these bastards that don't get scared off by lights turning on, me walking towards them, or me throwing stuff at them...just waiting in the tree for me to leave. What makes them leave is a 12 gauge. And if I still hunted, I no longer have the time, although I go out maybe once or twice a year and not see a thing, I use a gun or a bow for that. The only other function for a bow is to shoot something with that, where's your stance on that?

And again the Swiss citizens walk around with fully automatic assault rifles, and it's the safest place on earth...if guns were the problem, then why are they not the problem there...with full autos, where you're practically issued one if you choose to keep it. We're talking guns that aren't even legal here, they are openly walking around with, no one is scared, no one feels unsafe, no one bats an eyelash.

If Dolf Lundgrin has been trying to rape your girlfriend, you should call the cops.
You said the gun was a tool, and went to all the trouble of describing multiple uses for several tools. What was your point, other than repeating another RWNJ like that you think sounds cool, but means absolutely nothing?

Who is afraid of guns? I'm scared of the gun nut Rambo wanna bees that are hoping for a chance to use their gun. Don't tell me you don't think there are plenty of idiots out there like that. We both know there are.
Okay, where are they? How many people are they killing? You would call my girlfriend one of these Rambo wanna be cowards, which is completely ridiculous. So do these "cowards" make a majority of gun owners? And let's say something does happen where they get a chance to use their gun...if they use it legally, THEYRE STOPPING A CRIME AND PROTECTING PEOPLE. That's like saying firefighters are made up of people who are just waiting for the chance to rush in to a burning building and saving someone, what assholes right? They just can't wait till a fire happens. What a ridiculous argument, ugh those firefighter that'll risk their life to save strangers are such douches.

Okay, where are they? How many people are they killing? You would call my girlfriend one of these Rambo wanna be cowards, which is completely ridiculous. So do these "cowards" make a majority of gun owners? And let's say something does happen where they get a chance to use their gun...if they use it legally, THEYRE STOPPING A CRIME AND PROTECTING PEOPLE. That's like saying firefighters are made up of people who are just waiting for the chance to rush in to a burning building and saving someone, what assholes right? They just can't wait till a fire happens. What a ridiculous argument, ugh those firefighter that'll risk their life to save strangers are such douches.

No. An idiot playing Rambo is not the same as a person rushing into a burning building to save someone. You know better than that. An armed idiot causes more problems for the victims, bystanders, the cops, and themselves.

If Dolf Lundgrin has been trying to rape your girlfriend, you should call the cops.
You said the gun was a tool, and went to all the trouble of describing multiple uses for several tools. What was your point, other than repeating another RWNJ like that you think sounds cool, but means absolutely nothing?
Cops who take 5-10 mins to show up? If she's getting raped and she's alone, it's kind of hard to have a phone conversation while getting raped, i assume. I mean if you can keep a male from penetration, I would imagine that reality (which you don't seem to consider) would dictate it's probably even harder to make a phone call, which the rapist wouldn't want you to do. But I guess that's schematics, right?

And that's what you got from my dolf lungrin example. You either are incapable of thinking hypothetically, like the guy from guardians of the galaxy who takes everything literally (which is comical, because it's so stupid)...or you're incapable of having an honest conversation on equal ground, so you have to resort to stupid strawman. I don't know which is worse, but take your pick.

And I never described multiple uses for a tool in that last post, I described one use for tools made for that use. Knife cuts, gun equalizes.

A straw man wasn't enough stupidity for you, but you had to go to a ad hominem, with the RWNJ, reference. Good job, stay in your lane, and continue to fear critical thinking. Just keep on going to the ego protecting logical fallacies.

Cops who take 5-10 mins to show up? If she's getting raped and she's alone, it's kind of hard to have a phone conversation while getting raped, i assume. I mean if you can keep a male from penetration, I would imagine that reality (which you don't seem to consider) would dictate it's probably even harder to make a phone call, which the rapist wouldn't want you to do. But I guess that's schematics, right?

And that's what you got from my dolf lungrin example. You either are incapable of thinking hypothetically, like the guy from guardians of the galaxy who takes everything literally (which is comical, because it's so stupid)...or you're incapable of having an honest conversation on equal ground, so you have to resort to stupid strawman. I don't know which is worse, but take your pick.

And I never described multiple uses for a tool in that last post, I described one use for tools made for that use. Knife cuts, gun equalizes.

A straw man wasn't enough stupidity for you, but you had to go to a ad hominem, with the RWNJ, reference. Good job, stay in your lane, and continue to fear critical thinking. Just keep on going to the ego protecting logical fallacies.

Don't be silly. My responses perfectly match the quality of your posts. How many times has she been attacked like you describe? If it is often, she needs to stop hanging around where she has been. If it is never, which is the same as almost every other person in the country, you are both being cowards that aren't capable of facing life as you should be able to.

No. An idiot playing Rambo is not the same as a person rushing into a burning building to save someone. You know better than that. An armed idiot causes more problems for the victims, bystanders, the cops, and themselves.
When? Name an instant. For every one of those instances I have AT LEAST 50, where someone with a gun defends themselves, their family, or the people around them without even firing a shot. But I'm still interested to hear about all these cases of rambos running around

Don't be silly. My responses perfectly match the quality of your posts. How many times has she been attacked like you describe? If it is often, she needs to stop hanging around where she has been. If it is never, which is the same as almost every other person in the country, you are both being cowards that aren't capable of facing life as you should be able to.
Ok point out a strawman and ad hominem I used.

And it's where she works jackass. And she happens to love the kids she works with. Now should she stop helping them and their parents just because YOU don't think she should have a gun? Because she's not safe with it, and it wouldn't help her in a situation she might need it?

And again you like to just skip over the fact that Swiss citizens carry fully automatic assault rifles, and yet they live in the safest place on earth. So is it the guns that are a problem?

...And if you don't, just cross your fingers that don't ever need one? If I went on my boat without life jackets, if something were to happen, would I be stupid for not taking them? Even though I'll most likely never have to use my life jackets...and I can swim...but if I'm a couple miles off shore or even a half a mile.
All good points. But the downside is having a gun makes it easier to use before exhausting other means first.

Forum List

Back