North Korea on TV

Zhukov

VIP Member
Dec 21, 2003
Everywhere, simultaneously.
I saw a special on the Discovery Something channel about North Korea, and I thought I'd throw out a few highlights.

First of all the film was shot by journalists for the BBC. Though it certainly wasn't a pro-NK program by any stretch of the imagination I did think it was interesting when a NK official claimed they invited the BBC because the NK government felt they (the BBC) would produce a complimentary piece.

There was a scene in a classroom of perhaps 6 or 7 year olds. When the reporter asked them who the President of the U.S. was they all announced in unison "George Bush". When asked if there was anything they wanted to say to George Bush, though most of the children looked unsure, one stood up and said something approxiametely like this:

"I would like to tell George Bush to stop slaughtering South Korean children. He should leave all of Korea and never come back."

Taught to children concerning their now deceased leader Kim Il Sung were such things as him nearly single handedly driving the Japanese out of Korea, he crossed a river by walking on leaves, and when he threw pine cones at the enemy they turned into grenades.

In an interview with a general along the DMZ (who looked old enough to know better) the reporter asked him if it ever occured to him that he had been deceived and it was actually North Korea who had started the Korean War, he became quite irrate and replied along the lines of:

"I don't want to hear anymore of your American propaganda. If you insist on spouting lies and propaganda I'm going to end this interview right now."

But what I found most interesting was discussion of punishment and the prison camps.

Two interesting aspects of punishment in North Korea include what's called Hereditary Blame and Collective Punishment. In the first case the crimes of the father are paid for by him and the next two generations. This includes both imprisionment and execution. In the second case it is common if an individual is for example accused of treason he and all of the families who lived around him are executed.

Most horrible of all was textual proof and eyewitness accounts of chemical and biological weapons experiments being performed on living human beings (including whole families at once) currently going on, right now, in prison labs in North Korea.

KIMLAND!

Do quick lookup on this title and check out the thread I had posted much earlier, maybe a month back.

Its a bizzare account, but excellent read.

If you can, watch the Discovery Times channel. They have a very nice series on NK right now (well they did, I just checked and Only the show below is running in Sept.).

What amazes me is the degree of famine in that country. Human flesh is actually sold in the markets (it's a crime, but it's done).

You might want to set reminders:

North Korea: Access to Evil

Unfortunately, this is the only one of 4 programs on NK which I've seen recently that will be aired this upcomming month.

"Children of the Secret State" airs frequently, but its less about the politics and more about the plight of the NK's.

Wade.

wade said:
If you can, watch the Discovery Times channel. They have a very nice series on NK right now (well they did, I just checked and Only the show below is running in Sept.).

What amazes me is the degree of famine in that country. Human flesh is actually sold in the markets (it's a crime, but it's done).

You might want to set reminders:

North Korea: Access to Evil

Unfortunately, this is the only one of 4 programs on NK which I've seen recently that will be aired this upcomming month.

"Children of the Secret State" airs frequently, but its less about the politics and more about the plight of the NK's.

Wade.

Good series. We can't expect too many documentaries on N.K. for the same reason we won't see any indepth footage of life in Iran as well.

Comrade said:
Good series. We can't expect too many documentaries on N.K. for the same reason we won't see any indepth footage of life in Iran as well.

Actually there are some very nice documentaries on life in Iran. I remember seeing one about 6 months ago done by a female Iranian (US citizen).

Wade.

wade said:
Actually there are some very nice documentaries on life in Iran. I remember seeing one about 6 months ago done by a female Iranian (US citizen).

Wade.

Smuggled out at the risk of death, you mean.

Comrade said:
Smuggled out at the risk of death, you mean.

Actually not. I'll try to find what it is called and when it will be shown again.

Wade.

wade said:
Actually not. I'll try to find what it is called and when it will be shown again.

Wade.

If it's not smuggled out illegally, then what kind of propaganda is it? If the Iranian government gave it two claws up, released it to the West, you might as well watch Farenheit 9-11.

You should watch it. It is about change and the movement away from strict Islamic law that was going on in Iran at the time (about 3 years ago i think).

I don't think it was propganda, it was far to critical of too many aspects of the existing system and regime. But the camera work was clearly done in public in many cases.

I'll watch for it and hopefully it will come on again in the not to distant future. I think it was aired on PBS about a year ago.

Wade.

wade said:
You should watch it. It is about change and the movement away from strict Islamic law that was going on in Iran at the time (about 3 years ago i think).

I don't think it was propganda, it was far to critical of too many aspects of the existing system and regime. But the camera work was clearly done in public in many cases.

I'll watch for it and hopefully it will come on again in the not to distant future. I think it was aired on PBS about a year ago.

Wade.

Sound interesting... I get Discover Times which is the BEST channel for all kinds of such documentaries. If you remember the name drop me a line. Thanks.

Forum List

Back