No More Marriage

This is very interesting. Is it possible to live a happy life with every achievement except a person of the opposite sex? And if no, then why would everyone switch that around the fastest?

But even more interesting is, that almost everyone has his/her divorce at ~50 years old, after which they live a totally lonely life forever. As per national statistics, the average 50+ year old has less than 1 friend.

So now, that marriage will be abolished, the question presents itself, why is it totally attractive to be lonely?

A couple of thoughts:

• If an individual's motivation to be married is that they will not be lonely that is both emotionally dishonest and spineless.

• There is no guarantee that a person will be lonely if marriage is abolished.

And remember... You're never alone with a schizophrenic. :wink_2:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpcO3txM0As]Billy Idol Dancing With Myself - YouTube[/ame]

:dunno: Must alone = lonely?

Provided the two in one get along and have nice conversations.

I respect her opinion... it's not the end of the world for her...and certainly not the end of romance for her.

She just does not want to get married again, that's all...no biggie. :)

Marriage should be taken seriously. It's a serious, legal contract.

Can you imagine the murder and suicide rates if all those 'oaths' about 'till death do us part' were strictly enforced?

`

Thing is..... the woman is only stepping out of marriage forever!

Not entering into a convent! :nono::nono: ~~~:tongue:

Exactly!! :party:

Never married, and no intention of ever doing so. Am 42, if I were the marrying kind I think it'd have happened already, but it hasn't. I take that as a good indication it isn't something I need to feel content or complete. Besides, women be crazy yo. :)

We've all known people who were "NEVER" going to marry.

Some of us have married those types.

I respect her opinion... it's not the end of the world for her...and certainly not the end of romance for her.

She just does not want to get married again, that's all...no biggie. :)

Marriage should be taken seriously. It's a serious, legal contract.

Can you imagine the murder and suicide rates if all those 'oaths' about 'till death do us part' were strictly enforced?

`

You will be surprised how many people are not aware (willfully perhaps) that they can break that oath 'till death do us part' and therefore remain in an unhappy marriage for the rest of their lives.

Divorce rules differ by religion by level of observance. Strictly speaking, Christianity only allows divorce in the case of adultery. In Judaism it's easier, yet depends on the husband's consent. This leads to even now in modern times, husbands refusing to divorce their wives when they want to and thus preventing her from pursueing a new relationship or getting remarried. Recently this came to light as rabbis were charged with assault for trying to 'persuade' husbands to give their wives a divorce.

It makes for an interesting discussion but the chances are that she will announce her engagement a year from now. Oldest ploy in the books, make yourself "unavailable".

Marriage isn't for everyone and the way it's going it doesn't mean what it once meant. We are more diverse, independant and mobile than ever before. I think marriage should be dropped from being legally recognized. If you want a contract with someone or some people then you should be free to do so. Otherwise your marriage is whatever you agree to. As far as kids, there are laws now that make support mandatory, married or not.

It makes for an interesting discussion but the chances are that she will announce her engagement a year from now. Oldest ploy in the books, make yourself "unavailable".

That was my first thought, seems pretty disingenuous to me. If the right person came along she would be on the cover of Bride magazine. She may be hurt and confused regarding her experiences, but time and effort will help heal those wounds.

She seems ready for anything here...

img-lindsayvonn1_140147299585.jpg_article_singleimage.jpg

That was my first thought, seems pretty disingenuous to me. If the right person came along she would be on the cover of Bride magazine. She may be hurt and confused regarding her experiences, but time and effort will help heal those wounds.

I would implore her to reconsider her decision.

This is very interesting. Is it possible to live a happy life with every achievement except a person of the opposite sex? And if no, then why would everyone switch that around the fastest?

But even more interesting is, that almost everyone has his/her divorce at ~50 years old, after which they live a totally lonely life forever. As per national statistics, the average 50+ year old has less than 1 friend.

So now, that marriage will be abolished, the question presents itself, why is it totally attractive to be lonely?

Why would you imagine they are lonely?

If I were a woman, would I marry Tiger...having seen what he did to his first wife?
Nah.
Tiger...very rich...charming...easy to 'click' with at first sight/first date.
All those dollars, shopping sprees galore.
Best to be just his girlfriend.

Last edited:
If I were a young woman, I'd be 'demanding' marriage and an engagement ring/wedding ring..even if they were fake diamonds...if that were all the guy could afford.
No way known to man I'd be giving my charms and talents/self away for free and no respect much.
The guy would have to make an honest woman of me...or he'd be making no woman of me.

^ Just because someone gives your ring does not mean they respect you.

True...but, if they give you a ring, propose marriage, then marry you and make you 'Mrs Somebody'...seems to me that there's a whole lot more respect for you than not doing so...in most cases.

Want me to move in?
No worries, marry me first.

I would implore her to reconsider her decision.

Send her a note you may change her mind.

It would be interesting to explore why she said she would never get married.

Does she enjoy the attention she gets from men in general?

Not able to make a commitment?

Dyke?

Too emotionally unstable to enter into a committed relationship? (i.e., immature)

Joining a convent?

Doesn't generally believe in monogamy?

Let's see if anybody gives a shit about her unwillingness to marry when she's old and fat.

After having been married, I can safely say that I am not the marrying kind and it is a shame that I didn't realize that early on.

The end of marriage would fit the long-term goal of the far left just fine.

It was perhaps natural and inevitable that the divorce rate would shoot up as women gained more financial and social agency relative to traditional social and familial structures.

But beyond that, it is worth considering if modern society has gone to the extreme of elevating selfishness and personal gratification to something that should be celebrated and indulged at all times and without long-term consideration. If so...

Forum List

Back