NFL Losers Always Pick Corners. My take on the NFL Draft

mudwhistle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2009
Headmaster's Office, Hogwarts
vcvbncvbn.gif

The NFL Draft is slowly approaching.....and every year it seems the same teams are constantly picking bad players that never pan out.

The Jets. The Lions. They always seem to pick a player that won't make any difference in their team winning. Usually a CB or a QB that can't play in the NFL. This year no QB should go in the first round because if you go by rating....none of the QBs coming out are worthy of first round consideration. If you're looking for Defense or WRs....this is the year to get them, because the draft has plenty of NFL level talent and depth throughout.

Last year the Jets picked a QB that got hurt at mid-season and now the team is picking in the top 5 again. The Jags picked at #1 last year and are picking there again this year. I think their picks were pretty good....but they weren't enough to get them out of the first pick again for 2022. The worst thing bad teams do is pick over-hyped players that aren't as good as advertised. Meanwhile....the playoff contenders are sitting there waiting for the good players to fall to them.
By the second round most of the really good CBs will be gone.....because bad teams always pick CBs. When you pick a CB it shouldn't be someone you're counting on to make an impact on your team. It should be the final piece of your defense.
Teams are built with their big boys. Offense and Defenses depend on their linemen for success. You cannot expect your secondary to make a play when your D Line lets 300 lb linemen into the second level. You have to keep blockers in the box for those guys to make plays. That means one thing. Bad teams must build their OLine and DLines first and foremost. But they keep picking QBs and CBs.

Sometimes you can get another team to give you a whole bunch of later picks for a top 15 pick in the first round. All you have to do is trade back a couple of times and you can fill your roster now instead of having to wait till next season to fill all of the holes you still have in your team. I figure....unless a player you really like falls to you....after pick #15....trade back....let the other teams pick up those over-hyped players and get more picks to fill out your roster.

What do you folks think?

The most desirable positions are

QBs

Edge- Neutralizes the QB
Tackle- Protects against the Edge Rusher
Wide Receiver- A weapon the QB throws to
Cornerback- Neutralizes the WR

Everything else they look for second round or later

Last edited:
Remember a few decades ago when it was all about Running backs? I tend to favor the best available athlete approach, myself, though -- draft according to talent and look for free agents according to need.

Remember a few decades ago when it was all about Running backs? I tend to favor the best available athlete approach, myself, though -- draft according to talent and look for free agents according to need.

The NFL used to be about balance

Balance between the Offense and Defense
Balance between the Running Game and Passing Game

Now it is a pass happy league

The NFL used to be about balance

Balance between the Offense and Defense
Balance between the Running Game and Passing Game

Now it is a pass happy league
Most teams (Except LAC) can stop the run......so to move the chains you need a passing game.
But you win championships with a running game that runs out the clock and a Defense that gives you 3 and out on a regular basis.

A RB that can go all the way at any moment opens up your offense.
He doesn't even need to do it every game....just the threat pulls more of the Defense into the box.....which then opens up the offense.

A RB that can go all the way at any moment opens up your offense.
He doesn't even need to do it every game....just the threat pulls more of the Defense into the box.....which then opens up the offense.
This is certainly true, but running backs are undervalued in today's NFL.

This is certainly true, but running backs are undervalued in today's NFL.
Most teams think they can can pick up a Running Back in later rounds and he will be serviceable for 3-4 years
Then they dump him for a younger guy

Forum List

Back