Newt speaking at a NRA rally

It doesn't matter what Newt says period. It is because of his choices regarding policy and extremism that he lost the primaries. He is a joke and a bozo.

Will they ever learn? :doubt:

Dear sarah as long as you support obama you will always be a pot calling the kettle black.

Not important in the least.

Words have meaning does abridged mean exactly the same thing as infringed? In the context of the Bill of Rights?

They could have just been using synonyms, intending them to mean the same. The more important question is why they used "people" vs "person" in different amendments. In my opinion because the former refers to collective rights and the latter to individual rights.

Let's get real, shall we?

abridgedpast participle, past tense of a·bridge (Verb)

Verb:
  • Shorten (a book, movie, speech, or other text) without losing the sense.
  • Curtail (rights or privileges).
The SECOND AMENDMENT is abridged all over the place.

Can you legally own a rocket launcher?

No?

Then your 2nd amendment right is already abridged, isn't it?

And if the Floundering Fathers were in control of our nation today?

You STILL couldn't own a rocket launcher.

The FF's werent damned fools.

I must say, I am really, really impressed with BigReb's demonstration of his constitutional knowledge in the OP. I mean.....very few of us would have caught that vital, telling and entirely intentional revision that Newt perpetrated in that speech.

Thanks to sharp citizens like BigReb, those of us who have only a passing familiarity with the laws of this land can rest assured that, if nominated, Newt Gingrich will be duly questioned about his penchant for playing loose with the words of our founders.

Say Reb............care to tell us who showed that clip to you and pointed out when Newt made a very simple and inconsequential mistake? And....what did your source do to plant the idea that it is even remotely important in that tiny brain of yours?

Last edited:

Verb:

No?

But today's gop are.

Yep. According to the present GOP, the government should provide everyone with a 2 kiloton nuclear handgrenade. That way, when someone felt their neighborhood was getting out of control, that neighborhood would no longer be a problem:evil:

Yep. According to the present GOP, the government should provide everyone with a 2 kiloton nuclear handgrenade. That way, when someone felt their neighborhood was getting out of control, that neighborhood would no longer be a problem:evil:

Come now, Old Rocks. You have not been paying attention.

They do not want ANYTHING provided for them. Every nutter has mined ther own stash of plutonium and will work hard to earn the money to purchase the reactor and delivery systems.

Words have meaning does abridged mean exactly the same thing as infringed? In the context of the Bill of Rights?

They could have just been using synonyms, intending them to mean the same. The more important question is why they used "people" vs "person" in different amendments. In my opinion because the former refers to collective rights and the latter to individual rights.

Nope, If abridged and infringed meant the same thing to them they would have used either one of the words in both amendments.

People would have meant all the people, person would have been singular as in individual rights.

I must say, I am really, really impressed with BigReb's demonstration of his constitutional knowledge in the OP. I mean.....very few of us would have caught that vital, telling and entirely intentional revision that Newt perpetrated in that speech.

Thanks to sharp citizens like BigReb, those of us who have only a passing familiarity with the laws of this land can rest assured that, if nominated, Newt Gingrich will be duly questioned about his penchant for playing loose with the words of our founders.

Say Reb............care to tell us who showed that clip to you and pointed out when Newt made a very simple and inconsequential mistake? And....what did your source do to plant the idea that it is even remotely important in that tiny brain of yours?

At 3:00 in the morning? No one showed me the video I watched it and listen.

Verb:

No?

Did the founding fathers use the word abridged in the second amendment?
Or did they use the word Infringed?

Are you saying that you discovered this deviousness uttered by Gingrich yourself? And...after giving it full consideration, decided that his using the incorrect terminology in his speech is worthy of a thread topic?

As I said earlier.........very impressive.

Nope, If abridged and infringed meant the same thing to them they would have used either one of the words in both amendments.

People would have meant all the people, person would have been singular as in individual rights.

Outstanding analysis! Boy oh boy.......you sure do know you some founding fathers intent! Your brilliant ass belongs on the bench.

Are you saying that you discovered this deviousness uttered by Gingrich yourself? And...after giving it full consideration, decided that his using the incorrect terminology in his speech is worthy of a thread topic?

As I said earlier.........very impressive.

Why are you impressed? But then again you are an obama stooge.

Outstanding analysis! Boy oh boy.......you sure do know you some founding fathers intent! Your brilliant ass belongs on the bench.

If you have put as much research in the writings of the founding fathers as I have you would understand their intent also.

Words meant something to them, especially in something they put everything they had on the line for. If abridged meant the same as infringed to them they would have used one word in both amendments.

Yes.

Yes and no I just did a quick search and found this article.
Abridge vs. Infringe
So what’s the point in this English lesson?

The point is that these documents were meticulously written and that the words chosen were chosen intentionally. When we don’t consider each word and understand exactly what was being recorded, we risk not truly understanding the freedoms our Constitution protects. When we don’t understand our freedom, we can’t appreciate or protect it.

The next time you read through documents like the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, or the Bill of Rights, take your time. Ask yourself why certain words were used, and then do a little research to learn more about the chosen words. You may find yourself with a new appreciation for the freedoms you already thought you understood.

Abridge vs. Infringe

Yes.

Abridge vs. Infringe

The point is that these documents were meticulously written and that the words chosen were chosen intentionally. When we don’t consider each word and understand exactly what was being recorded, we risk not truly understanding the freedoms our Constitution protects. When we don’t understand our freedom, we can’t appreciate or protect it.

The next time you read through documents like the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, or the Bill of Rights, take your time. Ask yourself why certain words were used, and then do a little research to learn more about the chosen words. You may find yourself with a new appreciation for the freedoms you already thought you understood.

Abridge vs. Infringe

Thanks for the article.

But we already know we have been infringed. Making the point moot IMO.

Guns? What guns?:eusa_whistle:

Abridge vs. Infringe

Abridge vs. Infringe

Thanks for the article.

But we already know we have been infringed. Making the point moot IMO.

Guns? What guns?:eusa_whistle:
I lost mine the other day.

Forum List

Back