Newt speaking at a NRA rally

bigrebnc1775

][][][% NC Sheepdog
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 12, 2010
Kannapolis, N.C.
At 04:45 in the video newt said the second amendment rights shall not be abridged, what does he mean "abridged"? The second amendment does not say anything about rights being abridged. It says shall not be infringed. You see the word abridging used in the first amendment.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWsE9jvwjLA]Second Amendment; A Political Right; Historic Context; Not about Hunting! - Newt Gingrich - YouTube[/ame]

Not important in the least.

Words have meaning does abridged mean exactly the same thing as infringed? In the context of the Bill of Rights?

It's a common transposition.

The word 'abridging' appears in the first amendment.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.​

Not important in the least.

Words have meaning does abridged mean exactly the same thing as infringed? In the context of the Bill of Rights?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.​

I did mention that in the OP. However with the founders words have certain meanings, if the founders meant abridged to mean the same thing as infringed why didn't they use the same word (either/or) in the first and the second?

Last edited:
I find it suspicious that a man can defend the passage of the NDAA which takes rights away, and talk about other rights being protected.

You wanna see how I feel about Newt Gingrich? :

theunbubba-albums-post-photo-s-picture4318-newt-family-values.jpg

I did mention that in the OP. However with the founders words have certain meanings, if the founders meant abridged to mean the same thing as infringed why didn't they use the same word (either/or) in the first and the second?

Pffft...the founders never expected the constitution to last more than a few years anyway.

Pffft...the founders never expected the constitution to last more than a few years anyway.

Maybe in your country, no wait you are subjects of the queen. Sorry about that.

Yeah, Never listen to a boot licker when they talk about freedom.

Yeah, Never listen to a boot licker when they talk about freedom.

Yep, I recall it was either him or Dr. Grump that said their country had a high regard for obama. I think it was Dr. Grump. But anyway I told him that they can have obama. No reply after that.:D

It doesn't matter what Newt says period. It is because of his choices regarding policy and extremism that he lost the primaries. He is a joke and a bozo.

Will they ever learn? :doubt:

No, in your country.

Forum List

Back