Newt speaking at a NRA rally

I believe this argument is the very reason our Constitution has in it the means of Amendment, which allows it to be fitted to future generations without the tearing away of the Universal principles that brought it forth to begin with.

Fair enough, but according to Jefferson's thoughts, shouldn't the whole Constitution be revisited every thirty four years or so, rather than just patched?

I don't think so. IMO, very little of it needs any 'patching', what we're lacking as a nation is the will to understand and follow it. Jay Leno told a joke way back when Iraq was trying to come up with a Constitution of their own. He said, "Why not just give them ours, we're not using it!"

What I meant by patching was 'amending'.
There are already 27 I think.

Fair enough, but according to Jefferson's thoughts, shouldn't the whole Constitution be revisited every thirty four years or so, rather than just patched?

I don't think so. IMO, very little of it needs any 'patching', what we're lacking as a nation is the will to understand and follow it. Jay Leno told a joke way back when Iraq was trying to come up with a Constitution of their own. He said, "Why not just give them ours, we're not using it!"

Yep, 27 so far, 2 of which concerned Prohibition and 2 which I believe were 1.)never properly ratified and 2.)should be repealed ASAP. That leaves 13 that have been added in 230 years or so.

The Amendment process set a high bar for passage, to keep it from being overused in response to temporary or ephemeral 'moods of the moment'. I personally think it's working pretty darned well, considering the sharks we have swimming in DC...

Yep, 27 so far, 2 of which concerned Prohibition and 2 which I believe were 1.)never properly ratified and 2.)should be repealed ASAP. That leaves 13 that have been added in 230 years or so.

The Amendment process set a high bar for passage, to keep it from being overused in response to temporary or ephemeral 'moods of the moment'. I personally think it's working pretty darned well, considering the sharks we have swimming in DC...

I have read where the 16th was properly ratified but that's the only one I know of. Which was the other one?

I have read where the 16th was properly ratified but that's the only one I know of. Which was the other one?

My bad, I meant 1, the 16th, and the questions regarding it's ratification are still out there. Hell, it's announcement as ratified by one Philander Knox is where we got the term 'philanderer'...

It's companion, The Federal Reserve Act, I believe was an act of High Treason by Woodrow Wilson.

Last edited:

My bad, I meant 1, the 16th, and the questions regarding it's ratification are still out there. Hell, it's announcement as ratified by one Philander Knox is where we got the term 'philanderer'...

It's companion, The Federal Reserve Act, I believe was an act of High Treason by Woodrow Wilson.

I meant too say the 16th wasn't properly ratified.

Forum List

Back