Newly elected GOP majorities had better realize: Americans are fundamentally conservative

Little-Acorn

Gold Member
Jun 20, 2006
San Diego, CA
Yes, Americans are fundamentally conservative. American citizens run their own lives in clearly conservative ways. And if the GOP wants to keep its control of both houses of Congress, they had better start realizing it. Conservatism is what Americ is all about. And politicians who go anywhere else, won't last long.

How are Americas conservative?

Very few Americans would walk into their neighbor's house, take money out of his wallet, and use it to buy health care for a homeless person. American citizens who want to help the homeless in their private lives (and there are many such), are far more likely to use their own money.

And I doubt many people would force their neighbor at gunpoint to quit landscaping his back yard, stop filling in a muddy area, and stop building a treehouse for his kids. Even if the treehouse is unsightly, they are likely to leave the neighbor to his own devices.

And if the neighbor was in financial difficulty, most Americans would not go to all the other neighbors and force them to pay money to help the destitute neighbor. They might ASK the other neighbors, while contributing a lot of their own personal resources, offering him a job, etc.

And most Americans would certainly not go around regularly to all their neighbors, demanding to know intimate details of what they are doing, how much they are earning, how much they spent and on what things, etc., for the purpose of knowing what they could later force out of them for any of the above situations.

The vast majority of Americans would use their own personal resources, while asking only for VOLUNTARY help from neighbors if they asked at all; and only in extreme circumstances would they interfere at all. They are far more likely to let things be, and to respect the judgment and privacy of those around them, unless someone was in real trouble. And even then, they are likely to ask only politely, using no coercion other than a vague implication that one course is the right thing to do. And if meeting a refusal at that point, they will take the other's decision as the dominating imperative, acknowledging that the other is the best judge of his own capabilities. Only if he finds someone (neighbor or otherwise) doing actual direct, major harm to another, might he step in with force, and then only cautiously.

At the same time, most Americans willingly contribute to PRIVATE groups (charities, churches, hospitals, food banks etc.) that engage in methodical charity; while turning a cold shoulder to anyone who tries to compel them to do such giving.

In other words, most Americans are fundamentally CONSERVATIVE.

For the oddity where some of them will then turn around and vote for people who say they will interfere as the voter never would, coerce as the voter never would, and threaten as the voter abhors, I have no explanation. But aside from that bizarre voting tendency of some, they themselves are basically conservative in their own lives.

If the newly-elected Republican majorities in the House and Senate want to keep those majorities for more than a few election cycles, they will change their "liberal-lite" ways and start turning more and more responsibility back to the people (as the Constitution requires).

This is a direction most liberal Democrats and their allies in the media, devoutly hope the Republicans will not take. It would result in the kind of Republican conservative domination that characterized the U.S. Government from the country's founding throgh the early 20th century. Only govt-created disasters such as the Great Depression (made Great by gross govt interference in usually-short economic recovery cycles) allowed the big-govt liberals to get a foot in the door.

Republicans will never get a better chance to go back to the conservatism that most American people embrace in their own personal lives.

When they had a similar chance in 1994, they let it slip through their fingers, pushing government "help" and more expanding govt programs instead of reducing government and letting the American people take their own responsibility for their own lives. And the people's support waned and eventually vanished for the "liberal-lite" Republicans.

Will Republicans make the same mistake again?

Last edited:
Final Senate tally is 54 Republicans, 46 Democrats.

Republicans will clearly win the Alaska election, and the Louisiana runoff, plus the 7 new seats the meida has admitted to.

If they start treating the American people as the conservatives they have always been, they might even keep their majorities for more than a few election cycles.

Meh, the public in general is right around the middle. Even in "landslide" victories, there's a 15% difference, meaning less than 60% of the voting populace voted for the guy/girl who won, and thus more than 40% who didn't vote for him/her.

I'd like it if these congressmen and president didn't act like winning an election gave them free reign to do what they want, come hell or high water, and actually work together like adults to improve the health of this entire nation.

Meh, the public in general is right around the middle. Even in "landslide" victories, there's a 15% difference, meaning less than 60% of the voting populace voted for the guy/girl who won, and thus more than 40% who didn't vote for him/her.

I'd like it if these congressmen and president didn't act like winning an election gave them free reign to do what they want, come hell or high water, and actually work together like adults to improve the health of this entire nation.
TRANSLATION: I can't refute anything you wrote about the nature of the American people. So I'll change the subject and talk about how they vote instead, not about how they live.

TRANSLATION: I can't refute anything you wrote about the nature of the American people. So I'll change the subject and talk about how they vote instead, not about how they live.

You didn't say anything, bro. What the fuck are you demanding that the GOP do with this information? I don't know if it is possible to say so little while thinking that you are saying so much.

What should the GOP be DOING?

Spell it out.

Didn't read the post in detail the first time around. My bad. After getting a chance to read it, i agree for the most part.

It highlights a bigger issue in that too many people, including elected officials themselves, view government as the solution rather than the protectors of those who can create the solution, or solutions. As in, if the guys/girls running the government aren't passing laws that they're not doing anything, which doesn't have to be the case.

Oh, we're going after the RINOs with a renewed vigor and purpose.

McConnell and Boner days in leadership are numbered

According to Jake HE represents "mainstream" America making them more progressive than conservative.

Another subject that liberals dare not address.
take-your-bullshit-somewhere-else.png

(maybe that's what they tell you on Fox, but sorry, Sparky, it's just not even close to being true)

What the fuck are you demanding that the GOP do
My, the leftist fanatics are really screaming in rage over their rejection by the American people..

You lost. Get over it.

Nope....not upset at the election. Wanting you to actually say something before coming back and declaring that you've won something.

Your OP doesn't suggest a single specific action that you think the GOP needs to do in order to stay in sync with the "fundamentally conservative Americans".

Your examples about stealing from wallets and charity are all sweet. But what are you saying that the GOP needs to do?

Spit it out.

Forum List

Back