New York Times: $15 an Hour is Meant to Drive Fast Food Out of Business

This seems like a good place to ask this question of the statutory minimum wage proponents:

What is your objection to basing a worker's wage solely upon what that worker's work is worth?

So you admit you just pulled that number out of your ass.

Minimum wage in California is $9 and hour - Quarter pounder with cheese is $4.85 there

Minimum hourly wage in Australia is $16.87 an hour- Quarter pounder with cheese is $4.95 there.

McDonald s Menu price list 2014 Victoria Australia Flickr - Photo Sharing
McDonalds Prices - Fast Food Menu Prices
california min wage - Google Search
australia minimum wage 2015 - Google Search

Australia has one minimum wage for adults and another for younger workers

For junior employees, the minimum rates are:
Under 16 years of age $5.87
At 16 years of age $7.55
At 17 years of age $9.22
At 18 years of age $10.90
At 19 years of age $13.17
At 20 years of age $15.59.
why can't we have that here?

The teen minimum wage for the first 90 days of a job in the US is $4.25.

Most employers aren't so stupid that they only consider the first 90 days in their calculations.

90 days is a nicely convenient number to cover teens wanting summer jobs.

This seems like a good place to ask this question of the statutory minimum wage proponents:

What is your objection to basing a worker's wage solely upon what that worker's work is worth?

Worth to whom? Is the buck or two an hour that some factory worker in China gets a valid determination of what his work is worth?

Does that means every factory worker anywhere else in the world making more is overpaid?

Minimum wage in California is $9 and hour - Quarter pounder with cheese is $4.85 there

Minimum hourly wage in Australia is $16.87 an hour- Quarter pounder with cheese is $4.95 there.

At 16 years of age $7.55
At 17 years of age $9.22

We can have communism here again if you like. Why would we want to shoot ourselves?
You already have communism, it is called neo-liberal economics. You redistribute wealth from the government to the corporations through bailouts, raise taxes on the middle class, give tax credits to the super rich, use welfare to create an unlimited supply of serfs, and allow private prisons to profiteer off human suffering. All that is missing is a substitute for Stalin's mustache.

Now that is the free market talking, whatever rock you came out from under didn't teach you that bailing out the rich isn't capitalism, its a violation of the free market principle of non-interference of government.

So the free market is communism?

You realize you're an idiot, don't you?
Thanks for proving how out of touch with reality you really are.

Neo-liberals view anyone that supports state-capitalism as communist, just like you do.

Just returning the favor, by pointing out how the 'false free market' is not a free market.

At 16 years of age $7.55
At 17 years of age $9.22

Most employers aren't so stupid that they only consider the first 90 days in their calculations.

I think 90 days is all Bripat lasts in a job, before he rage quits and calls everyone communist.

At 16 years of age $7.55
At 17 years of age $9.22

I think 90 days is all Bripat lasts in a job, before he rage quits and calls everyone communist.

You and your Komrade NYcarbineer are the ones who think a wage effective for 90 days is good economic policy. You also think free enterprise is communism.

I've already told you you're an idiot. It's still burns, doesn't it?

Worth to whom? Is the buck or two an hour that some factory worker in China gets a valid determination of what his work is worth?

Does that means every factory worker anywhere else in the world making more is overpaid?
What are you going on about? China? WTF?

If you have an answer you're not comfortable sharing, don't distract--the question is simple and straightforward:

You and your Komrade NYcarbineer are the ones who think a wage effective for 90 days is good economic policy.
*yawn*

I think that having a wage to live on is good economic policy, and stimulates economic growth and saving.

But you believe in serf slave labor for corporations through government created 'work for welfare' and 'right to work' laws, and hand out bailouts when those said corporations fail, rather than letting the market system take its course and let corporations fail.

Then you call it a 'free market'. :lol:

I hope they close most of the fast food joints and replace them with old style Diners, Cafe's and Brew Pubs.

If you have an answer you're not comfortable sharing, don't distract--the question is simple and straightforward:
Who determines "worth", and is this just one sided? It's a VALID question that we have been asking you, yet you won't answer it?

my answer to your question is that it will drive wages down farther than they already are, if you think ONLY the business has the right to determine "worth" of a human being or the job they do for the employer....the employer by nature, will always want to pocket more money for himself if he is the only one determining worth....that's not capitalism... Can the future employee examine his possible employer's books to see what he feels he would be worth to that company for the established work that he would be doing and negotiate with such info? Employees are already at a disadvantage in negotiating salaries.

Sure, yeah, blah blah blah, the employee can choose not to work there and go work somewhere else 40 miles from his home if he doesn't like it crapola,

we might as well live in the age of slavery again....when all the power is in the hands of one, the employer or master...and that is simply WRONG, for the country.

Considering what we know about the left, this theory sounds more plausible than the left's claim that it wants minimum wage workers to earn a "living wage."

As noted by the New York Post , the New York Times has let it slip that the real goal of the $15 dollar an hour wage is to drive cheap fast food restaurants out of business. And as they said:

“The restaurant industry . . . will not go down without a fight.”

But, I thought that all the businesses affected by the minimum wage were just greedy and could easily afford the wages they should have been paying all along? I guess that wasn’t true. That certainly wasn’t the case for Z Pizza in Seattle. Z Pizza employed 11 employees, who were convinced their lives would be better since they would now be making the astronomical sum of $15 an hour. The owner, Ritu Shah Burnham, tried everything. She laid off workers, cut hours and even quit paying herself a salary, but in the end, she was forced to close her doors. You see, while most businesses her size had six years before paying the $15, she had only two because she owns a franchise. She got nailed on Obamacare for the same reason.

Liberals in their infinite wisdom (cough cough) they decided that a small franchisee should be lumped together with all the the franchisees and company owned restaurants. To me, this is further proof that the goal is to destroy them. I mean, what difference is there between a franchise restaurant owner with 11 employees and any other pizza joint with 11 employees? This is Michelle Obama’s lunches for adults. The same liberals who demand the right to choose to kill innocent babies, is unwilling to give you the right to decide what to eat.
You can add Walmart.

Yep, it's a government plot intended to wean people off fast food.

:cuckoo:

No, it is just another case of "the road to Hell is paved with good intentions."

In this case the liberals say they want to help the poor and the natural result will be a disaster for the poor.

It's pretty clear that liberals often say their intentions are good.......but they have to lie about what their true intentions are.
Which 99.9% of the time they get away with, because their Gruber stupid progtard minions have been successfully brain washed to just buy whatever they say, hook, line and sinker without question in the leftist controlled public school system.

Who decides what the worker's worth is?

Do you not want the People to have a voice in deciding what a worker's work is worth?

Who determines "worth", and is this just one sided? It's a VALID question that we have been asking you, yet you won't answer it?
It's not a valid question to ask me.

I am not the arbiter of "worth" for anyone but myself, I do not believe that I have the moral authority to make such a determination for others.

Since you CLEARLY presume someone has the authority to determine worth for everyone, it is valid to ask you these questions: Who do you think should determine worth for everyone else? Upon what moral authority do base your choice?

my answer to your question is that it will drive wages down farther than they already are, if you think ONLY the business has the right to determine "worth" of a human being or the job they do for the employer....
Terribly presumptive of you. I do not "...think ONLY the business has the right to determine "worth" of a human being or the job they do for the employer."

So now what?

the employer by nature, will always want to pocket more money for himself if he is the only one determining worth....that's not capitalism...
BIG "if" there.

Can the future employee examine his possible employer's books to see what he feels he would be worth to that company for the established work that he would be doing and negotiate with such info?
The employer's books are none of the prospective employee's business, just as the prospective employee's books are not the business of the employer.

They can agree to allow any disclosure arrangement that suits them, but there is no moral principle I can think of that creates the obligation.

Employees are already at a disadvantage in negotiating salaries.
Nonsense. Complete nonsense.

Sure, yeah, blah blah blah, the employee can choose not to work there and go work somewhere else 40 miles from his home if he doesn't like it crapola,
That's what I did. 75 mile commute (one way) in my case. And it's not crapola. I got company wheels added to my compensation--and a fuel card. Probably because my employer was at a "disadvantage in negotiating" because I didn't show him my financials.

we might as well live in the age of slavery again....when all the power is in the hands of one, the employer or master...and that is simply WRONG, for the country.
Monopsonies can only become coercive through legislation. Your hand-wringing fails to impress.

Who decides what the worker's worth is?
Stop trying to distract from the question being asked. I seriously don't understand why you and every other minimum wage advocate are so reluctant to provide a straightforward answer to my straightforward question.

But I'll answer you. Because I'm not a pussy.

I am not the arbiter of "worth" for anyone but myself, I do not believe that I have the moral authority to make such a determination for others.

For an employment arrangement to be morally valid, the employer and the employee must agree upon what the prospective work is worth.

So now, why don't you just answer my question?

And since you CLEARLY presume someone has the authority to determine worth for everyone, it is valid to ask you these questions: Who do you think should determine worth for everyone else? Upon what moral authority do base your choice?

my answer to your question is that it will drive wages down farther than they already are, if you think ONLY the business has the right to determine "worth" of a human being or the job they do for the employer....the employer by nature, will always want to pocket more money for himself if he is the only one determining worth....that's not capitalism... Can the future employee examine his possible employer's books to see what he feels he would be worth to that company for the established work that he would be doing and negotiate with such info? Employees are already at a disadvantage in negotiating salaries.

Federally mandated minimum wages are unnecessary. It's a state and local issue but even without gov't meddling, the market for labor properly sets the rate. Below is a list of major American employers that have voluntarily raised their pay scale in the past 3 months in response to market conditions:
McDonald's
Aetna
Walmart
T.J. Maxx
Target
Starbucks
Ikea
Gap
Costco
In-N-Out Burger
Ben & Jerry's
Shake Shack