New York Times: $15 an Hour is Meant to Drive Fast Food Out of Business

Do the math. You will pay the minimum wage hike in the food you purchase. People won't pay that much for fast food and maybe not even restaurant food. It's hard enough to make a go of a restaurant.

Yeah, that Big Mac might cost an extra quarter.

I'll go $4.00 but $4.25 is out of the question! I'd rather starve!

You're deluded about the the cost of labor that goes into selling a Big Mack.

The price of beef, that has skyrocketed. why isn't that putting fast food out of business?
The cost of materials is a much smaller portion of a restaurant's operating costs than is the cost of labor.

Yep, it's a government plot intended to wean people off fast food.

:cuckoo:

No, it is just another case of "the road to Hell is paved with good intentions."

In this case the liberals say they want to help the poor and the natural result will be a disaster for the poor.

No it won't.
Not to worry, soon there will be robots to replace people. I find it hard to believe a robot can be bought and maintained for much less then 15 dollars an hour but because of the liberals good intentions we soon may find out.

How little would a gas station attendant pumping gas have to work for in order to eliminate self service gas pumps?
Pay at the pump, we have them here.

WHOOOSH!!

Right over your head.

Automation in many work places has been a fact of life almost since the time of Henry Ford and it will become more and more common.

Like it or not, that means fewer jobs.

Do the math. You will pay the minimum wage hike in the food you purchase. People won't pay that much for fast food and maybe not even restaurant food. It's hard enough to make a go of a restaurant.

You're deluded about the the cost of labor that goes into selling a Big Mack.

The price of beef, that has skyrocketed. why isn't that putting fast food out of business?

It's definitely hurting McDonald's profits. Furthermore, the cost of beef is a much smaller percentage of the total cost of operating a McDonalds than the cost of labor is.

No, it is just another case of "the road to Hell is paved with good intentions."

In this case the liberals say they want to help the poor and the natural result will be a disaster for the poor.

No it won't.
Not to worry, soon there will be robots to replace people. I find it hard to believe a robot can be bought and maintained for much less then 15 dollars an hour but because of the liberals good intentions we soon may find out.

How little would a gas station attendant pumping gas have to work for in order to eliminate self service gas pumps?

WHOOOSH!!

Right over your head.

Automation in many work places has been a fact of life almost since the time of Henry Ford and it will become more and more common.

Artificially increasing the cost of labor speeds up that process.

I prefer taco bell burritos for a buck 50 or 7/11 taquita's for 1 dollar.
4 bucks is expensive for a sandwich when you're only making minimum wage.

No it won't.

Of course, but you don't have them because the minimum wage is too high. You have them because there is virtually no wage within reason that could beat any cost associated with self-service.

No it won't.

WHOOOSH!!

Right over your head.

of course yet the lock and stock sheep of the democrats supports Obama and his EO of immigration

Funny, hilarious, mind boggling....

Automation, more labor competition=less jobs

Why do you vote against your best interest?

No it won't.

Of course, but you don't have them because the minimum wage is too high. You have them because there is virtually no wage within reason that could beat any cost associated with self-service.
It's for convince now, raise minimum wage to $15 and it/ will be to save the company. Goodbye to a lot of jobs for the poor.

No it won't.

WHOOOSH!!

Right over your head.

of course yet the lock and stock sheep of the democrats supports Obama and his EO of immigration

5 people working at 10 bucks an hour is better than 10 people working at 5 bucks an hour.

No it won't.

It's for convince now, raise minimum wage to $15 and it/ will be to save the company. Goodbye to a lot of jobs for the poor.

Keep the minimum wage low and all you do is make the poor the working poor.

Do you think the common complaint about calling a business and having a hard time talking to a human, as long as that complaint has been around,

is about the minimum wage being too high?

Considering what we know about the left, this theory sounds more plausible than the left's claim that it wants minimum wage workers to earn a "living wage."

As noted by the New York Post , the New York Times has let it slip that the real goal of the $15 dollar an hour wage is to drive cheap fast food restaurants out of business. And as they said:

“The restaurant industry . . . will not go down without a fight.”

But, I thought that all the businesses affected by the minimum wage were just greedy and could easily afford the wages they should have been paying all along? I guess that wasn’t true. That certainly wasn’t the case for Z Pizza in Seattle. Z Pizza employed 11 employees, who were convinced their lives would be better since they would now be making the astronomical sum of $15 an hour. The owner, Ritu Shah Burnham, tried everything. She laid off workers, cut hours and even quit paying herself a salary, but in the end, she was forced to close her doors. You see, while most businesses her size had six years before paying the $15, she had only two because she owns a franchise. She got nailed on Obamacare for the same reason.

Liberals in their infinite wisdom (cough cough) they decided that a small franchisee should be lumped together with all the the franchisees and company owned restaurants. To me, this is further proof that the goal is to destroy them. I mean, what difference is there between a franchise restaurant owner with 11 employees and any other pizza joint with 11 employees? This is Michelle Obama’s lunches for adults. The same liberals who demand the right to choose to kill innocent babies, is unwilling to give you the right to decide what to eat.
Please show us where Obama forced Seattle to go to $15 an hour and why you felt it necessary to blame him?

Sounds to me, like it is the legislation for the raise in Seattle that is faulty and should have accounted for newly opened Franchises as an individual owner, with the 6 year reprieve.

Obama is advocating for a $10 an hour minimum federal wage over a few years time to get there....

Where did I blame it on Obama? However, the left is definitely responsible, and Obama is in league with them. Your sleazy Komrades in this forum have been lobbying for a $15/hr minimum wage. How are you going to dispute that?
They have, but politicians and those with power over the federal minimum wage, have not....

No it won't.

Keep the minimum wage low and all you do is make the poor the working poor.
Minimum wage jobs are starter jobs, not meant to be a career job. Maybe you should work harder.

No it won't.

WHOOOSH!!

Right over your head.

5 people working at 10 bucks an hour is better than 10 people working at 5 bucks an hour.
so you again get to decide what the market is worth?

Guess you miss the good old days when we had the 99 weekers on un employment? What ever happened to them? They die or something or got off their ass and found a job

No it won't.

WHOOOSH!!

Right over your head.

Tell that to the people who aren't working.

Considering what we know about the left, this theory sounds more plausible than the left's claim that it wants minimum wage workers to earn a "living wage."

As noted by the New York Post , the New York Times has let it slip that the real goal of the $15 dollar an hour wage is to drive cheap fast food restaurants out of business. And as they said:

But, I thought that all the businesses affected by the minimum wage were just greedy and could easily afford the wages they should have been paying all along? I guess that wasn’t true. That certainly wasn’t the case for Z Pizza in Seattle. Z Pizza employed 11 employees, who were convinced their lives would be better since they would now be making the astronomical sum of $15 an hour. The owner, Ritu Shah Burnham, tried everything. She laid off workers, cut hours and even quit paying herself a salary, but in the end, she was forced to close her doors. You see, while most businesses her size had six years before paying the $15, she had only two because she owns a franchise. She got nailed on Obamacare for the same reason.

Liberals in their infinite wisdom (cough cough) they decided that a small franchisee should be lumped together with all the the franchisees and company owned restaurants. To me, this is further proof that the goal is to destroy them. I mean, what difference is there between a franchise restaurant owner with 11 employees and any other pizza joint with 11 employees? This is Michelle Obama’s lunches for adults. The same liberals who demand the right to choose to kill innocent babies, is unwilling to give you the right to decide what to eat.
Please show us where Obama forced Seattle to go to $15 an hour and why you felt it necessary to blame him?

Sounds to me, like it is the legislation for the raise in Seattle that is faulty and should have accounted for newly opened Franchises as an individual owner, with the 6 year reprieve.

Obama is advocating for a $10 an hour minimum federal wage over a few years time to get there....

Where did I blame it on Obama? However, the left is definitely responsible, and Obama is in league with them. Your sleazy Komrades in this forum have been lobbying for a $15/hr minimum wage. How are you going to dispute that?
They have, but politicians and those with power over the federal minimum wage, have not....

Sure they have. How did the minimum wage in Seattle and Los Angelos get bumped to $15/hr?

So they're going to double payroll and a big mac is only going to go up a quarter?

Sure they have. How did the minimum wage in Seattle and Los Angelos get bumped to $15/hr?
The FEDERAL govt has had NOTHING to do with it, and we have been discussing a federal minimum wage hike...local govts are precisely that, LOCAL GVT....and as said, has nothing to do with the Federal level.

Forum List

Back