New York Times: $15 an Hour is Meant to Drive Fast Food Out of Business

bripat9643

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2011
Considering what we know about the left, this theory sounds more plausible than the left's claim that it wants minimum wage workers to earn a "living wage."

As noted by the New York Post , the New York Times has let it slip that the real goal of the $15 dollar an hour wage is to drive cheap fast food restaurants out of business. And as they said:

“The restaurant industry . . . will not go down without a fight.”

But, I thought that all the businesses affected by the minimum wage were just greedy and could easily afford the wages they should have been paying all along? I guess that wasn’t true. That certainly wasn’t the case for Z Pizza in Seattle. Z Pizza employed 11 employees, who were convinced their lives would be better since they would now be making the astronomical sum of $15 an hour. The owner, Ritu Shah Burnham, tried everything. She laid off workers, cut hours and even quit paying herself a salary, but in the end, she was forced to close her doors. You see, while most businesses her size had six years before paying the $15, she had only two because she owns a franchise. She got nailed on Obamacare for the same reason.

Liberals in their infinite wisdom (cough cough) they decided that a small franchisee should be lumped together with all the the franchisees and company owned restaurants. To me, this is further proof that the goal is to destroy them. I mean, what difference is there between a franchise restaurant owner with 11 employees and any other pizza joint with 11 employees? This is Michelle Obama’s lunches for adults. The same liberals who demand the right to choose to kill innocent babies, is unwilling to give you the right to decide what to eat.

Not to worry, soon there will be robots to replace people. I find it hard to believe a robot can be bought and maintained for much less then 15 dollars an hour but because of the liberals good intentions we soon may find out.

Considering what we know about the left, this theory sounds more plausible than the left's claim that it wants minimum wage workers to earn a "living wage."

As noted by the New York Post , the New York Times has let it slip that the real goal of the $15 dollar an hour wage is to drive cheap fast food restaurants out of business. And as they said:

But, I thought that all the businesses affected by the minimum wage were just greedy and could easily afford the wages they should have been paying all along? I guess that wasn’t true. That certainly wasn’t the case for Z Pizza in Seattle. Z Pizza employed 11 employees, who were convinced their lives would be better since they would now be making the astronomical sum of $15 an hour. The owner, Ritu Shah Burnham, tried everything. She laid off workers, cut hours and even quit paying herself a salary, but in the end, she was forced to close her doors. You see, while most businesses her size had six years before paying the $15, she had only two because she owns a franchise. She got nailed on Obamacare for the same reason.

Liberals in their infinite wisdom (cough cough) they decided that a small franchisee should be lumped together with all the the franchisees and company owned restaurants. To me, this is further proof that the goal is to destroy them. I mean, what difference is there between a franchise restaurant owner with 11 employees and any other pizza joint with 11 employees? This is Michelle Obama’s lunches for adults. The same liberals who demand the right to choose to kill innocent babies, is unwilling to give you the right to decide what to eat.
Please show us where Obama forced Seattle to go to $15 an hour and why you felt it necessary to blame him?

Sounds to me, like it is the legislation for the raise in Seattle that is faulty and should have accounted for newly opened Franchises as an individual owner, with the 6 year reprieve.

Obama is advocating for a $10 an hour minimum federal wage over a few years time to get there....

Yep, it's a government plot intended to wean people off fast food.

:cuckoo:

No, it is just another case of "the road to Hell is paved with good intentions."

In this case the liberals say they want to help the poor and the natural result will be a disaster for the poor.

No it won't.
Not to worry, soon there will be robots to replace people. I find it hard to believe a robot can be bought and maintained for much less then 15 dollars an hour but because of the liberals good intentions we soon may find out.

How little would a gas station attendant pumping gas have to work for in order to eliminate self service gas pumps?

Do the math. You will pay the minimum wage hike in the food you purchase. People won't pay that much for fast food and maybe not even restaurant food. It's hard enough to make a go of a restaurant.

You notice there are no longer gas pump attendants.

Maybe we will go to vending machines like the Japanese.

A number of McDonald's have already installed Kiosks where customers can submit their orders. That eliminates the need for 3-4 employees at the front counter. The next thing will be machines to make burgers.

Do the math. You will pay the minimum wage hike in the food you purchase. People won't pay that much for fast food and maybe not even restaurant food. It's hard enough to make a go of a restaurant.

Yeah, that Big Mac might cost an extra quarter.

I'll go $4.00 but $4.25 is out of the question! I'd rather starve!

It could just as easily be said that the true price had never been counted in, so subsidies (social programs for underpaid workers) established a false sense of profit.

No, it is just another case of "the road to Hell is paved with good intentions."

In this case the liberals say they want to help the poor and the natural result will be a disaster for the poor.

No it won't.

How little would a gas station attendant pumping gas have to work for in order to eliminate self service gas pumps?
Pay at the pump, we have them here.

Please show us where Obama forced Seattle to go to $15 an hour and why you felt it necessary to blame him?

Sounds to me, like it is the legislation for the raise in Seattle that is faulty and should have accounted for newly opened Franchises as an individual owner, with the 6 year reprieve.

Obama is advocating for a $10 an hour minimum federal wage over a few years time to get there....

Where did I blame it on Obama? However, the left is definitely responsible, and Obama is in league with them. Your sleazy Komrades in this forum have been lobbying for a $15/hr minimum wage. How are you going to dispute that?

You're deluded about the the cost of labor that goes into selling a Big Mack.

It could just as easily be said that the true price had never been counted in, so subsidies (social programs for underpaid workers) established a false sense of profit.

Only liberal idiots buy the theory that welfare is a subsidy to business.

A quarter? Please provide the data you used to arrive at that conclusion.

You're deluded about the the cost of labor that goes into selling a Big Mack.

The price of beef, that has skyrocketed. why isn't that putting fast food out of business?

Forum List

Back