New York Teacher learns a lesson....hiding from a mass shooter...is foolish, she now wants a gun.

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
this New York city teacher had an epiphany..........teachers need some way to fight mass shooters....and that doesn't include throwing books at him....

NY Teacher: How a Lockdown Changed My Mind on Guns in School - Breitbart

Mary Anne was teaching at the end of spring semester 2016 when the loudspeaker boomed, “We are in lockdown. This is not a drill.” It was the first actual lockdown she had experienced. And while part of her kept thinking it was not real — i.e., perhaps it was a false alarm — her training for such situations kicked in and she locked her classroom door, covered up the glass in the door, pulled down the shades on the windows and turned off the lights. She moved her 30 students to a corner away from the door and they waited together in the silence for nearly 5 minutes.

She asked herself different questions with each passing minute. At the 60 second point, her thoughts revolved around the self-assuring tendency that the alarm had to be false. Two minutes into the lockdown, she saw worry on her students’ faces and tried to reassure them. In do doing, she fought to be sure they could not see that concern was welling up in her too.

Writing in American Thinker, Mary Anne explained how the anxiety grew as the third minute crept by:

Seconds dragged. I could see worry on their tiny faces. Could they sense my concern? I again reassured them that we were fine. I almost hated myself for giving them what could have been a false sense of security. Though I resented feeling defenseless, my main concern was protecting in the event of the unthinkable. My heart sank as I realized that I couldn’t.

I started to wonder how long it would take for the cops to arrive. Would it matter? Somebody had called the cops, right? I heard walking in the hallway. I gave a smile and a nod to the children. I don’t know why, and I didn’t know who was walking in the hallway.

All was quiet. That was a good sign, right? No. It was too quiet.

Amid the quietness, she realized she needed a gun — that teachers need guns. The vulnerability of being unarmed was just too great.

Forum List

Back