New York City to Pay Occupy Protesters $100,000

Jroc

יעקב כהן
Oct 19, 2010
Michigan
This of course doesn't include all the additional costs to the city from these nutjobs. Cities around the country for that matter.:cuckoo:

c4874ba2-d683-4fba-859a-28434436c5d2jpg.jpg

New York City has agreed to pay Occupy Wall Street protesters more than $100,000 for property damaged or lost when police cleared out their encampment in a downtown Manhattan park in 2011, according to court documents signed on Tuesday.

The settlement includes $47,000 for books and library equipment lost or damaged in the raid on Zuccotti Park, where the protesters, campaigning against economic inequality, had camped for nearly two months, setting up tents and a ramshackle library.

Hundreds of books were damaged, and more than 2,000 books were never returned after police raided the park early on November 15, 2011, said Norman Siegel, an attorney for the protesters.

Brookfield Office Properties, named in the protesters' federal lawsuit as owner of Zuccotti Park, will reimburse the city one third of the $47,000 in library damages, the documents said.

The city also agreed to settle two related federal lawsuits by paying the protesters $75,000 for lost or damaged computers and network and broadcasting equipment, and $8,500 to an environmental group for 16 lost or damaged "energy bicycles" used as power generators at the park, the documents said.

The lawsuits were filed in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York.

In the raid, police arrested more than a hundred protesters and dismantled the encampment, which city officials said had become a health and fire safety hazard.

The encampment had been most visible fixture of the Occupy Wall Street movement, which inspired similar protests in dozens of cities across the United States and around the world.

New York City to Pay Occupy Protesters for Damaged Property

If NYC agrees to pay those losers anything then they are nuts.

Nobody told them to act like assholes and protest. Thats a decision they made. If they lost possessions while protesting or being taken into custody. Tough Shit.

Wonder if the protesters will be paying all the businesses they screwed during their protest??

Ain't holding my breth for that one.

Nobody told them to act like assholes and protest. Thats a decision they made. If they lost possessions while protesting or being taken into custody. Tough Shit.

Wonder if the protesters will be paying all the businesses they screwed during their protest??

It's already done they're getting paid:cuckoo:

Eh after legal fees, taxes and all the people trying to get thier hands into the cookie jar each protester will end up with a coupon for a free Big Mac (oh the irony!)

The City probably saved themselves $700k-$800k in legal fees if they fought this thing to the end.

Eh after legal fees, taxes and all the people trying to get thier hands into the cookie jar each protester will end up with a coupon for a free Big Mac (oh the irony!)

The City probably saved themselves $700k-$800k in legal fees if they fought this thing to the end.

Should have been thrown out of court. So many scams and scammers.

Police damaging property is not good, actually illegal. But they are protestors and laws and rights go out the window when ppl are hated /sarcasm

Police damaging property is not good, actually illegal. But they are protestors and laws and rights go out the window when ppl are hated /sarcasm

They were told to leave, they didnt leave. If the cops hadn't warned them they might have had an actual case, but If I leave my crap in the middle of a public square, my anticipation of finding it in good shape later on is basically a crap shoot.

Just an innocent question; what about the damage done to property by Wall Street that taxes (including those paid by protestors) paid for?

Such bullshit.

New York City should be sueing them for lost tax revenue, the police salaries for all the overtime, the damage done to both public and private property and every other damn cost incurred because of their "squatting" bullshit.

They were told to leave, they didnt leave. If the cops hadn't warned them they might have had an actual case, but If I leave my crap in the middle of a public square, my anticipation of finding it in good shape later on is basically a crap shoot.

What does that mean, laws don't matter after you ask nicely?

Just an innocent question; what about the damage done to property by Wall Street that taxes (including those paid by protestors) paid for?

You know it's funny, the State was complaining that a pro gun rally in Albany, NY cost $60,000 in damages to fix grass. That was a single day event. These idiots camped out for how long on the grass in NYC?

No, that you accept the consequences of your actions. They were told to leave, they did not, thus they put themselves and thier property at risk.

The protestors in birmingham in the 60's did not sue to get thier crap back. They stood thier ground, got arrested and beaten, and were RIGHT BACK on the firing line as soon as they got out.

You can respect that, and in that case I side with the protesters 100%.

The OWS protesters were a bunch of whiny rich kids who once dispersed fled with thier tails between thier legs, and went and got mommy and daddy's lawyers to fight thier battle in a courtroom. No respect for that.

You know it's funny, the State was complaining that a pro gun rally in Albany, NY cost $60,000 in damages to fix grass. That was a single day event. These idiots camped out for how long on the grass in NYC?

Exactly

We have the largest one day rock festival in the nation here in KC. It's held at liberty memorial park and the cost of reseeding and sodding is around 70k every year.

Apparently NYC was too fucking stupid to file a counter claim.

No, that you accept the consequences of your actions. They were told to leave, they did not, thus they put themselves and thier property at risk.

The protestors in birmingham in the 60's did not sue to get thier crap back. They stood thier ground, got arrested and beaten, and were RIGHT BACK on the firing line as soon as they got out.

You can respect that, and in that case I side with the protesters 100%.

The OWS protesters were a bunch of whiny rich kids who once dispersed fled with thier tails between thier legs, and went and got mommy and daddy's lawyers to fight thier battle in a courtroom. No respect for that.

Ok, the protestors had to deal with their actions = Their shit was vandalized or removed
The Police had to deal with their actions = They broke the law

I'm wondering why you only think that one of the two have to "deal with their actions"?

What you agree with is of no consequence. That's not how laws work buddy

Forum List

Back