new to me car?

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
i have driven a subaru since 1986....i no longer work in the winter so i dont need the awd...but i am at a total loss about cars....i want front wheel drive...automatic...i am ready for an automatic with a remote starter...
i want good gas mileage...with minimal blind spots...so any suggestions? what do yall drive? pros and cons?
i can buy a subaru in an hour .....i know them...this sedan car is a total new thing to me...

i have driven a subaru since 1986....i no longer work in the winter so i dont need the awd...but i am at a total loss about cars....i want front wheel drive...automatic...i am ready for an automatic with a remote starter...
i want good gas mileage...with minimal blind spots...so any suggestions? what do yall drive? pros and cons?
i can buy a subaru in an hour .....i know them...this sedan car is a total new thing to me...

You can't find a better car than a Subaru. I drive a Forrester but I'd buy any of their models.

I have a Toyota Highlander. Love it and it has a navigation system, back up cameras and keyless entry.

I'm a big fan of Toyota's.....Corolla and the Camry.

Both are super reliable, and only require minimal maintenance. (oil changes, brake pads, tires)

You never hear of a transmission problem with either of these cars, and 250 to 300+ thousand miles is the norm.

Corolla's get great gas mileage, but are a little smaller than the Camry.

Just bought a low miles 2004 Camry for one of my daughters. Only had 22,000 miles and is like new. Put on new set of Michelin A/S tires. Should last her for many years.

btw You can put a remote start on any car. ... :cool:

Last edited:
A horse comes to mind.

Best of luck to you Bones... I ride the Bus... Yearly pass for $35.00... Anywhere/anytime I want to go on the Island... I drove Chevy pick-up's most of my life... The only new vehicle I ever owned was a brand new Isuzu Pup in 1986... $7000.00 and it was a waste of money... Not that the truck was bad, I just did not like the idea of spending that much money on a tool to get from point a to b...
Get what you feel comfortable with and that sounds like the Subaru may fit the bill...
My first wife drives a Mercedes and it has all kind of toys... The toys seem to break down frequently...
Again best of luck...

2006 Honda Accord for my everyday car. Bought new. 30,000 on the odometer now. It looks like it did right off the lot.

My mechanic tells me that barring a physical catastrophe, it will remain immortal.

Best of luck to you Bones... I ride the Bus... Yearly pass for $35.00... Anywhere/anytime I want to go on the Island... I drove Chevy pick-up's most of my life... The only new vehicle I ever owned was a brand new Isuzu Pup in 1986... $7000.00 and it was a waste of money... Not that the truck was bad, I just did not like the idea of spending that much money on a tool to get from point a to b...
Get what you feel comfortable with and that sounds like the Subaru may fit the bill...
My first wife drives a Mercedes and it has all kind of toys... The toys seem to break down frequently...
Again best of luck...
MB's are way high on parts. You know the quit putting dip sticks in them in 05?

Honda CRV is a very popular car...and its made in America...

2006 Honda Accord for my everyday car. Bought new. 30,000 on the odometer now. It looks like it did right off the lot.
My mechanic tells me that barring a physical catastrophe, it will remain immortal.
I'm pretty sure that your 2006 Accord has a timing belt on the engine.

Scheduled timing belt replacement, if I remember correctly, is 100,000 miles or 7 years...whichever comes first. If the timing belt breaks, your engine is toast. Whenever I replace a timing belt, I go ahead and replace the water pump since it's right there. .... :cool:

Stick with a Subaru. My wife gave our Outback to the kid 5 years ago and still regrets not buying another one to replace it. We went with a front wheel drive Dodge and can't believe how shitty it is in the snow. Just my $.02

Stick with a Subaru. My wife gave our Outback to the kid 5 years ago and still regrets not buying another one to replace it. We went with a front wheel drive Dodge and can't believe how shitty it is in the snow. Just my $.02
I wouldn't own a Dodge anything.

Just saying..... :cool:

Last edited:
Had good luck with my truck, drove it till it was basically a Cummings surrounded by a pile of rust. It was so bad I couldn't even keep it as a farm truck.

I'm pretty sure that your 2006 Accord has a timing belt on the engine.

Scheduled timing belt replacement, if I remember correctly, is 100,000 miles or 7 years...whichever comes first. If the timing belt breaks, your engine is toast. Whenever I replace a timing belt, I go ahead and replace the water pump since it's right there. .... :cool:

It goes to the doctors every year for the annual checkup.

Had good luck with my truck, drove it till it was basically a Cummings surrounded by a pile of rust. It was so bad I couldn't even keep it as a farm truck.
Dodge trucks have good diesel engines, but they are prone to rust.

But most Dodge cars have low resale value. .... :cool:

Last edited:
Again best of luck...
MB's are way high on parts. You know the quit putting dip sticks in them in 05?
/----/ Volvo stopped putting in dip sticks in 2015. The guys think we're too stupid to check our own oil correctly so you have to take it to the dealer who hooks it up to a computer so they can tell you you're down a quart. (and you can't verify it, either) Then they bang you for the oil and oil check. My 2005 Mustang didn't have a dipstick for the transmission. It's the wave of the future.

I've always liked Lincolns and Fords.

Forum List

Back