new to me car?

One of the best used cars is the Buick Lesabre, because they have the bullet proof 3.8 engine. Any mechanic will tell you that's the best engine GM ever made. I'm partial to the last model years 2000 to 2005

Ultra smooth ride, and they get excellent gas milage for a full size car. If you look around, you can find mint condition very low miles examples, that were owned by an elderly person that can't drive anymore, and always garaged. These cars will last for years, and you can pick one up pretty cheap. ... :cool:

Last edited:
One of the best used cars is the Buick Lesabre, because they have the bullet proof 3.8 engine. Any mechanic will tell you that's the best engine GM ever made. I'm partial to the last model years 2000 to 2005

Ultra smooth ride, and they get excellent gas milage for a full size car. If you look around, you can find mint condition, very low miles examples, that were owned by an elderly person that can't drive anymore, and always garaged. These cars will last for years, and you can pick one up pretty cheap. ... :cool:
Buick is a good brand. While China sells us shit the number 1 impport there is Buick.

One car brand the people seem to ignore, or know little about is Hyundai.

When first introduced to the American public around 3 decades ago, they were terrible cars with zero reliability and gave Hyundai a well deserved bad reputation. People have long memories, and don't realize Hyundai got their act together and now make some of the most reliable cars on the road.

Hyundai used car prices are rock bottom and you can own one for short money. I know two people who own the 2006 Sonata, and put a lot of miles on them with no problems. .... :cool:

Last edited:
right now the plan is to repair the green bean...hubbys forester ...then buy another car so we have the spare....i have having 3 cars but not as much as i hate having no car

scenario....last new car i purchased was 1986...big mistake by the dealer gave me the upper hand and i got it for short money ....i am like sunni....buy a used car and drive it into the ground....but damn the green bean....i think the repairs will be more than the blue book...pretty sure its a timing belt

I recommend the youtube video's by Scotty Kilmer. ... :thup:

He is an old school car mechanic, and has a lot of videos about how to maintain your car on the cheap for the average non mechanic DYI person.

Plus sage advice on which cars to buy or avoid. .... :cool:

he loves that damn car....i just dont get that...he shouted at me...you are just embarrassed to ride in it..which i found amusing as i had driven my son's hand me down truck (had a kick ass stereo) till it really caught on fire and you really had to grab that wire and pull it out....burned the hubbys hand all to hell....me, meh, i would have just walked away and let it explode...

i would do a small truck hell i would love a large big ass truck with those steps...and lots of chrome......i would love to be a size 8 and fit in that silk china blue dress too but i digress.....i cant afford that...red ...i love red....hubby hates chevy ..he is a ford man...i am not much for fords lol

Best of luck to you Bones... I ride the Bus... Yearly pass for $35.00... Anywhere/anytime I want to go on the Island... I drove Chevy pick-up's most of my life... The only new vehicle I ever owned was a brand new Isuzu Pup in 1986... $7000.00 and it was a waste of money... Not that the truck was bad, I just did not like the idea of spending that much money on a tool to get from point a to b...
Get what you feel comfortable with and that sounds like the Subaru may fit the bill...
My first wife drives a Mercedes and it has all kind of toys... The toys seem to break down frequently...
Again best of luck...
MB's are way high on parts. You know the quit putting dip sticks in them in 05?
/----/ Volvo stopped putting in dip sticks in 2015. The guys think we're too stupid to check our own oil correctly so you have to take it to the dealer who hooks it up to a computer so they can tell you you're down a quart. (and you can't verify it, either) Then they bang you for the oil and oil check. My 2005 Mustang didn't have a dipstick for the transmission. It's the wave of the future.
I wont buy a vehicle without a dipstick.

envoy-2.jpg

Bought this for 3200 bucks. 100k miles. I have one like it with 230k on it.

oo and the verbiage now....and yall are kidding about the dipstick eh? what the hell are these new transmissions....shiftonic and all....pulleys? and some cars have major blind spots now

i have a great mechanic...refuses to retire but doesnt do any heavy lifting lol wont touch the timing belt
Personally, I don't by any car that has a timing "belt" on the engine. They must be changed every so many thousand miles per schedule, are expensive to replace, and if it happens to break, your engine is most likely toast.

That's why I only buy cars which have a timing "chain". They rarely break, and usually last the life of the car. ... :cool:

New Topics

Forum List

Back