new to me car?

i had no clue they had chains now....my timing belt broke in asheville...i have enough sense not to fuck with a car but call for a tow....a 300 bones tow....i think they belt and water pump were around 800..

i hate to leave the subbies but damn this awd gets pricey in repairs....i want a back up camera too ...i am old i dont turn my neck anymore

omg yall arent kidding

Several years ago a woman stopped at my shop (a different shop in a faraway galaxy) with a 2-year-old BMW, because an oil warning indicator had come on, scaring the bejeezus out of her. I popped the hood to discover that there was no engine oil dipstick. After making sure no one had stolen the dipstick, I consulted the owner’s manual. I like to believe I have fairly high reading and comprehension skills, but it took me a good 10 minutes to figure out how to use the dashboard’s digital display to check the oil level using the high and low oil level sensors now placed within the oil pan. So in a very well thought-out scheme, they have replaced the unflinching reliability of a dip-stick with electronic sensors riding in a bath of very hot oil with hydrocarbons mixed in. Sometimes engineers enthralled with their own cleverness do things simply because they can, but there are supposed to be adults in the room to stop them.

On deaf ears

This is the part where I make the heartfelt appeal to the manufacturers to reconsider this bit of engineering by considering the real-world effects. Do you really think the world would be better off if no one can check their oil easily or add transmission fluid to a car or truck?

What about the middle class family with four kids, two of them in college? They’ve got a fleet of three- to ten-year-old cars they have to keep on the road. Yeah, the old truck leaks a little transmission fluid, but they put a quart in every two months and it does fine. Do you really want to make that impossible to do? Do you think the consumer will marvel at how clever you are? More than likely they’ll say “I’m never buying one of these again!”

The Disappearing Dipstick | Car Care Tips | Wiygul Automotive Clinic

Best of luck to you Bones... I ride the Bus... Yearly pass for $35.00... Anywhere/anytime I want to go on the Island... I drove Chevy pick-up's most of my life... The only new vehicle I ever owned was a brand new Isuzu Pup in 1986... $7000.00 and it was a waste of money... Not that the truck was bad, I just did not like the idea of spending that much money on a tool to get from point a to b...
Get what you feel comfortable with and that sounds like the Subaru may fit the bill...
My first wife drives a Mercedes and it has all kind of toys... The toys seem to break down frequently...
Again best of luck...
MB's are way high on parts. You know the quit putting dip sticks in them in 05?
/----/ Volvo stopped putting in dip sticks in 2015. The guys think we're too stupid to check our own oil correctly so you have to take it to the dealer who hooks it up to a computer so they can tell you you're down a quart. (and you can't verify it, either) Then they bang you for the oil and oil check. My 2005 Mustang didn't have a dipstick for the transmission. It's the wave of the future.
I wont buy a vehicle without a dipstick.

View attachment 198463
Bought this for 3200 bucks. 100k miles. I have one like it with 230k on it.
/----/ Good find. Do yourself a favor and have all the fluids and filters changed. Also run a tank of 97 octane to clean out the cat converter and fuel injection.

can i get a dipstick and camera ....i keep looking at cars but they all blend together....a friend is a used car salesman and i have purchased most of my cars from him for 20 years ...he was not selling the last car i got...he just told me where it was and to go buy it....still going with it...we did not buy the green bean from him....

I've always liked Lincolns and Ford.
Fix Or Repair Daily ..... :cool:

First On Race Day

I've owned several Ford Taurus's with that aggravating Transmission problem that the Dealers kept telling people they would have to replace the tranny because of. In every case all I had to do was change the VSS Sensor. $30 and 10 minutes and I drove good cars CHEAP!

Not recommending it though, they are not really in style any more, but the suggestion to stick with Subaru is not all that bad an idea

Several years ago a woman stopped at my shop (a different shop in a faraway galaxy) with a 2-year-old BMW, because an oil warning indicator had come on, scaring the bejeezus out of her. I popped the hood to discover that there was no engine oil dipstick. After making sure no one had stolen the dipstick, I consulted the owner’s manual. I like to believe I have fairly high reading and comprehension skills, but it took me a good 10 minutes to figure out how to use the dashboard’s digital display to check the oil level using the high and low oil level sensors now placed within the oil pan. So in a very well thought-out scheme, they have replaced the unflinching reliability of a dip-stick with electronic sensors riding in a bath of very hot oil with hydrocarbons mixed in. Sometimes engineers enthralled with their own cleverness do things simply because they can, but there are supposed to be adults in the room to stop them.
BMW, Audi, Saab, Mercedes Benz, Porsche, in fact most any European car, are just over engineered money pits. Although, they are a pleasure to drive when they aren't in the shop. .... :cool:

Best of luck to you Bones... I ride the Bus... Yearly pass for $35.00... Anywhere/anytime I want to go on the Island... I drove Chevy pick-up's most of my life... The only new vehicle I ever owned was a brand new Isuzu Pup in 1986... $7000.00 and it was a waste of money... Not that the truck was bad, I just did not like the idea of spending that much money on a tool to get from point a to b...
Get what you feel comfortable with and that sounds like the Subaru may fit the bill...
My first wife drives a Mercedes and it has all kind of toys... The toys seem to break down frequently...
Again best of luck...
MB's are way high on parts. You know the quit putting dip sticks in them in 05?
/----/ Volvo stopped putting in dip sticks in 2015. The guys think we're too stupid to check our own oil correctly so you have to take it to the dealer who hooks it up to a computer so they can tell you you're down a quart. (and you can't verify it, either) Then they bang you for the oil and oil check. My 2005 Mustang didn't have a dipstick for the transmission. It's the wave of the future.
I wont buy a vehicle without a dipstick.

View attachment 198463
Bought this for 3200 bucks. 100k miles. I have one like it with 230k on it.
/----/ Good find. Do yourself a favor and have all the fluids and filters changed. Also run a tank of 97 octane to clean out the cat converter and fuel injection.
I did it all myself! Nothing in the tranny pan either.

I know someone who bought a new Range Rover a couple of years ago.

At 20,000 miles the brake pads were shot and the dealership charged him $2,300 to replace them. Yikes!!

He also told me that you only change the oil and filter once per year, and it cost him $500 each time at the dealership.

I told him that is crazy money, and he needs to dump that car ASAP before something really major goes wrong, and he has to take out a second mortgage on his home to pay the repair bill. ... :lol: :lol:

Get a Jeep. I got one this past September and love it! It goes where others can't.

i hate jeeps.....several friends have them...uncomfie ride ...at my age i need to climb down into the car and not up out of it...when my friends are pissed at me..(and now they drive most of the time...i tellz ya pass out a few times and suddenly no one lets you drive) they park on inclines so i have to open the door...hold it and try to climb out at the same time...they park so the passenger side is uphill from the drivers side...i hate having to get up into jeeps...

1200px-Left_side_of_Flying_Pigeon.jpg

okay they all look alike...sedans ....suvs ....thats the only difference....and trucks...so far i have picked out a lexius ...a bmw and a mercedes....none of which i can afford...

not going well at all...he insists his car can be fixed and that i am being hasty wanting to ditch it....he knows i will need a new to me car soon too...he has a 100 excuses ..he calls them reasons not to ditch the green bean

i have driven a subaru since 1986....i no longer work in the winter so i dont need the awd...but i am at a total loss about cars....i want front wheel drive...automatic...i am ready for an automatic with a remote starter...
i want good gas mileage...with minimal blind spots...so any suggestions? what do yall drive? pros and cons?
i can buy a subaru in an hour .....i know them...this sedan car is a total new thing to me...

J'adore my Subaru Forrester. Subaru also makes sedans, and the Crosstrek is danged cute (I love the orange color!).

But whatever you do, DO NOT BUY A VOLVO. SRSLY

Forum List

Back