New Patriots Head Coach

The Chargers might be the perfect coaching opportunity for Belichick. They have an elite young QB and lots of talented players.

The NFL is an offensively geared league now. Gun it and sling it. For years, Bill has been building his rosters by trying to find "value". No household names or playmakers (save for Brady, Moss, and a few second lifers a decade ago). Trading DOWN in the draft. Signing journeymen players who he believed could fit into his "system". He didn't believe he needed an offensive juggernaut to win a Superbowl. Just a "good enough" offense and a stiff defense that would keep games close. And for years, it worked for him. 9 Superbowl appearances. 6 Superbowl trophies (Should have been 8). Making the entire NFL his bitch for over 20 years.

Then, about 6 years ago, it started turning. Pass, pass, pass. That Patriots-Rams Superbowl in 2019 was the last I remember being a defensive back and forth.
The game..passed him by.
That's when he had Brady who made average receivers GREAT.

Tom was literally the O coordinator. The direct snap was used by Tom more often on running downs long before the rest of the league caught up.

Personally, I’d be hammering TomS door down to bring him back as a coach.
Tom and and his OC's had a system. The OC's would call the play. Brady would break the huddle, come to the line, and might change the play based on the defense he saw...if he needed to. There are few NFL quarterbacks with the cache to do that and would be allowed to do that and I see some of them doing it (Mahomes for example).

By all reports, Brady may be looking to get in as a partner or an advisor with the Las Vegas Raiders. He's been seen hanging around their site several times this fall.

Bill made some really bone head moves....
Sitting Malcolm Butler for the Patriots-Eagles Superbowl in 2018 because he violated "The Patriot Way". All the Pats needed was ONE defensive play to win that game.
It was the ONLY Superbowl Belichick actually gave away and handed the opponent. He out-thought and out-coached himself in the perfect season Superbowl against the Giants.

I wanted Bill gone after the Iggles SB. :)

Sitting Malcolm Butler for the Patriots-Eagles Superbowl in 2018 because he violated "The Patriot Way". All the Pats needed was ONE defensive play to win that game.
It was the ONLY Superbowl Belichick actually gave away and handed the opponent. He out-thought and out-coached himself in the perfect season Superbowl against the Giants.

I never understood the backstory of Malcolm Butler
You lose to the Seahawks if he didn’t save you.

Then to sit him for some unknown infraction made no sense

His problem was he thought he was the reason the team won. He was not. Brady showed he could win without Bill but Bill has flopped without Tom.

His problem was he thought he was the reason the team won. He was not. Brady showed he could win without Bill but Bill has flopped without Tom.
Yes and no. The issue has always been one of evolution. Bill has always thought the quarterback position was the least value on the team. He could plug in anyone there and they would still win in his "system". The defense was always first and foremost..and he didn't need to pay star playmakers to fit into that "system". He would regularly trade down in the draft for "value", bring in journeymen who he could pay less and would fit into his "system".

But in the past few years, the quarterback position has become the league premium. You have to have talent there and you have to surround that talent with good receivers (playmakers)...not journeymen or nobodies. You can get away with lesser receivers when you have a Tom Brady...but not when your QB is Mac Jones or Bailey Zappe. :auiqs.jpg:

Mayo is the popular choice, seems that Bill and the players are behind him, but he is not a better choice than Vrabel. who has proven he is already a good coach. He was the #1 seed in the playoffs a few years ago but unfortunately had Ryan Tannehill as his QB.

Mayo is the popular choice, seems that Bill and the players are behind him, but he is not a better choice than Vrabel. who has proven he is already a good coach. He was the #1 seed in the playoffs a few years ago but unfortunately had Ryan Tannehill as his QB.
The Patriots need to draft a QB.

As a Pats fan, I don't want Vrabel either. I wanted a completely fresh start with an offensive minded coach. No Friends, Coaches, or Players of Bill. Vrabel never coached under Bill, but he shares the same defensive minded philosophy. Part of the reason the Titans were never able to get over the hump and win a SB with the likes of Henry as your running back. There's a reason Ryan Tannehill was the Titans QB. :)

The Patriots have hired Jerod Mayo to replace Bill Belichick as head coach. It didn't take very long for Robert Kraft to make a decision.

Odd choice. Mayo has only played and coached under the Belichick system. So they hired a younger version of Bill? Mayo is probably a great coach but if you're going to move off of Belichick you'd think you would go in a different direction than just bringing in someone who's whole playing and coaching experience is under Belichick.

Odd choice. Mayo has only played and coached under the Belichick system. So they hired a younger version of Bill? Mayo is probably a great coach but if you're going to move off of Belichick you'd think you would go in a different direction than just bringing in someone who's whole playing and coaching experience is under Belichick.
I'm sure Belichick reccomended him to Kraft.

I'm sure Belichick reccomended him to Kraft.
Im sure he did. Still seems odd to me. It's not a great situation to come into. You're following a coach that's won 6 SB's and the team is dog shit right now. They are going to be drafting a QB I would guess, they better get a guru OC to develop him. I can only guess that's not Mayo's thing. Has he ever even been a coordinator?

Im sure he did. Still seems odd to me. It's not a great situation to come into. You're following a coach that's won 6 SB's and the team is dog shit right now. They are going to be drafting a QB I would guess, they better get a guru OC to develop him. I can only guess that's not Mayo's thing. Has he ever even been a coordinator?
I'm sure they draft a QB with their first pick and also hire an offensive coordinator.

I'm sure they draft a QB with their first pick and also hire an offensive coordinator.

Of course they are going to hire an OC, but which OC is pretty important seeing as Mayo is a defensive guy and has no experience as an HC. As we've seen this year defensive HC's arent faring well in today's NFL.

Of course they are going to hire an OC, but which OC is pretty important seeing as Mayo is a defensive guy and has no experience as an HC. As we've seen this year defensive HC's arent faring well in today's NFL.
The Buffalo Bills are an exception because of Josh Allen.

Forum List

Back