New dinner ideas...please!!!!

There are three things I will never eat again. Two because I just don't like them, one because I am allergic. My mother always fed me these things.

1. Meatloaf (The world's worst cook, my mother, has destroyed this as a palatable idea for dinner).
2. Squash (Any kind, it is all just wrong).
3. Potatoes (I am allergic, my mother simply thought I was throwing up and couldn't breathe because I was faking it in order to make a power play).

Now, we make almost everything spicy at my house and your picky one will probably not like my recipes. But here are a few good ideas.

Beef Stroganoff
Enchiladas (I make a great spicy shrimp enchilada)
BBQ, it can be done year round.
Crab Alfredo

no1tovote4 said:
There are three things I will never eat again. Two because I just don't like them, one because I am allergic. My mother always fed me these things.

1. Meatloaf (The world's worst cook, my mother, has destroyed this as a palatable idea for dinner).
2. Squash (Any kind, it is all just wrong).
3. Potatoes (I am allergic, my mother simply thought I was throwing up and couldn't breathe because I was faking it in order to make a power play).

Now, we make almost everything spicy at my house and your picky one will probably not like my recipes. But here are a few good ideas.

Beef Stroganoff
Enchiladas (I make a great spicy shrimp enchilada)
BBQ, it can be done year round.
Crab Alfredo

I may try BBQ. I know my hubby likes it,I would have to find a simple recipe my kids like too.

Your potato allergy sounds like my older brother's egg allergy!! My mom would feed him eggs and he would spit them out and have fits and she just thought he didn't want them. Come to find out,he was deathly allergic to eggs and poultry. No eggs,turkey,chicken!! On Thanksgiving he has a big fat steak. Makes for a difficult time though. I remember when we were little and would go to certain restaurants,my mom and dad would practically beg the waitors to ask if the buns or ice cream had eggs and they would come back and claim they had....guess what? An hour later they would be in the hosptial because my brother's esophogus was closing up!!!

How in the world do you live without french fries?!!!!!

Hmmm recipes for dinner...

Puppy on a stick
Goldfish fricasse'
Cat and Canary caserole

Kids love em all!

Mr. P said:
Now that sounds like someone with gran kids!:laugh:
Yep...they love it when I make "puppy on a stick" (essentially corn dogs with bacon wrapped around em). Personally, corn dogs dont do much for me, but they like em. Cat and canary caserole is just any caserole with chicken or tuna and Goldfish stew is just really creamy fish or clam chowder.

krisy said:
How in the world do you live without french fries?!!!!!

That was actually the hardest to give up. I never realized that I coughed all the time due to this allergy, not due to smoking. When I quit eating potatoes I felt so much healthier that it no longer was an issue.

Certain types of potatoes would be worse than others, fried didn't tend to give me quite as bad a reaction as boiled and mashed (the reaction to those was as described above).

At least your parents realized the kid was allergic to the things. I was in the Navy when I found out that it was an allergy, and my mother didn't believe it until she started having the same type of reaction to latex. When she saw that an allergy can actually work that way, she realized she had been unreasonable. Some people are harder to convince than others.

And the restaurants lying thing, you have to watch out for other things as well. At Black Angus they use the same spoon to dish out the rice and the mashed taters. I went to the hospital twice before I figured out where the damned potatoes were coming from. And many restaurants use potato starch to thicken their soups, I don't order soup at restaurants any more. :(

krisy said:
Well,we have spaghetti every week,which everyone does like,but it's only a matter of time before I hear they are sick of it. We have tacos a lot, roast,which the kids won't touch. Pork chops(bbq) which my son-the picky one,does like.

I'm thinkin a good fried chicken recipe or just anything with not too many "adult" ingredients like onions or heavy spices. I guess very small chopped onions would be o.k. I have tried a lot of casseroles,but the only one the picky family likes is hash brown casserole. I'm open to anything you have,I can always doctor the ingredients a bit if I have too.

Don't forget you have to make sure the onions are small enough to be camoflaged from wolfsblood, or he won't touch it.

Krisy, I forgot I have a really good chili recipe if you interested. I promise we won't laugh this time! :rotflmao:

khafley said:
Krisy, I forgot I have a really good chili recipe if you interested. I promise we won't laugh this time! :rotflmao:

Ha!!!!! :puke3:

No deer ,canary,or any other meat that isn't sold in a grocery store for me!!!!

krisy said:
Ha!!!!! :puke3:

No deer ,canary,or any other meat that isn't sold in a grocery store for me!!!!

Hey I agree, I don't do deer meat either, however you have to admit that is one good chili recipe! :read: couldn't tell it was deer either could you? :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

My grandparents used to make what they called "Buck Stuff" named after a neighbor down the street....

Basically they are Tostadas.....

Flat corn tortilla layered with beans, cheese and meat....anywhere from 2 to 4 layers....pop them in the oven at about 350 long enough to melt the cheese...

Pull them out and garnish as wanted.....

Kinda breaks up the taco thing abit.....but uses the same ingredients, and it always got us excited to make them ourselves when we were old enough.

Forum List

Back