New dinner ideas...please!!!!

krisy

Mar 30, 2004
Ohio
Anyone have some good ideas for dinners? I am making the same stuff over and over and getting sick of it. Keep in mind,I have kids,one of which is pretty picky!!!

Something quick that pretty much anyone likes is bonless, skinless chicken breast sliced, and fried in olive oil with a little cracked pepper, drained, mixed with a bag of frozen vaggies (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, onions, etc - California Blend, or even Stir-Fry Blend), mixed with a jar of Ragu Parmesean/Mozzerella Alfredo sauce, and topped with a little extra cheese. If you want to make it stretch farther, put it over noodles.. I don't do pasta, tho.. I eat it as is..

Shattered said:
Something quick that pretty much anyone likes is bonless, skinless chicken breast sliced, and fried in olive oil with a little cracked pepper, drained, mixed with a bag of frozen vaggies (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, onions, etc - California Blend, or even Stir-Fry Blend), mixed with a jar of Ragu Parmesean/Mozzerella Alfredo sauce, and topped with a little extra cheese. If you want to make it stretch farther, put it over noodles.. I don't do pasta, tho.. I eat it as is..[/QUOTE

That sounds delish!!!! The picky one loves chicken,don't know about the veggies though. I amy try that next week when I go to grocery again.

Mr. P said:
What sort of things are you looking for? What are you cooking now you're tired of?
How picky is Mr./Ms. Picky?

Well,we have spaghetti every week,which everyone does like,but it's only a matter of time before I hear they are sick of it. We have tacos a lot, roast,which the kids won't touch. Pork chops(bbq) which my son-the picky one,does like.

I'm thinkin a good fried chicken recipe or just anything with not too many "adult" ingredients like onions or heavy spices. I guess very small chopped onions would be o.k. I have tried a lot of casseroles,but the only one the picky family likes is hash brown casserole. I'm open to anything you have,I can always doctor the ingredients a bit if I have too.

krisy said:
Well,we have spaghetti every week,which everyone does like,but it's only a matter of time before I hear they are sick of it. We have tacos a lot, roast,which the kids won't touch. Pork chops(bbq) which my son-the picky one,does like.

I'm thinkin a good fried chicken recipe or just anything with not too many "adult" ingredients like onions or heavy spices. I guess very small chopped onions would be o.k. I have tried a lot of casseroles,but the only one the picky family likes is hash brown casserole. I'm open to anything you have,I can always doctor the ingredients a bit if I have too.

Thinking...

Just a few ideas....

Meat loaf and mashed potatoes.
Manicotti...stuffed with cheese.. recipe is on the box...(Ronzoni brand)
Chicken and rice..
Shake n bake for the pork chops.
Country fried steak (easy to do but a mess)/ mashed potatoes gravy(white)/ and a veg.

Sorry to be a pain Mr. P,but do you have a good recipe for meatloaf? I do make it and the kids like it,but I would like something new. Also one for the Manicotti? That looks good!!! :thup:

krisy said:
Sorry to be a pain Mr. P,but do you have a good recipe for meatloaf? I do make it and the kids like it,but I would like something new. Also one for the Manicotti? That looks good!!! :thup:
Well I use a pretty standard recipe for meat loaf, from an old Better Homes and Gardens
cook book that I modify just a bit..If you don't have it I'll write it up.
The Manicotti recipe is on the back of the box ...(Ronzoni brand), it's very good.

Meatloaf (mine) :D

First off, get rid of the "loaf" pans - they suck. Make it in an 8x8 pan, or a 9x13 pan, depending on how many people you have to feed. The sauce on top is where all the flavor is. :D

For an 8x8 pan:

1.5lbs lean ground chuck (beef, whatever - 8% fat or less)
1 med. onion coarsely chopped
1 ex. lg egg
1/4c (approx.) Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
salt, pepper, garlic powder, seasoning salt, onion powder to taste
1/8c. bbq sauce (I use KC Masterpiece)
1/8c. ketchup

Mix all together until "sticky" (eggs, bbq sauce and ketchup absorbed). (This is where you have to taste the raw meat to see if you need to add more seasonings/sauces).

Flatten into pan, and bake at 350 for approx. 30-45 mins. Drain grease from pan (I use a couple hotpads, and a plate over the top, and then blot with paper towels).

Make a "glaze" using equal parts ketchup, and bbq sauce, add honey until you can just taste it, and 1tbsp dried chopped onion. Spread over meatloaf and return to oven until "set" - approx. 10-15 mins.

Thanks,I'll look it up!

Oh,and the Hanky Panky was very good! Even my picky husband ate some!!!

We make meatloaf here alot. I don't make a "loaf" though. I make a bunch of little loaves, LOL! I use a huge tablespoon of the mix and make tiny loaves which the kids love and they cook a helluva lot faster. Plus, when I make up extra meat, I cook them all then freeze the extras in zip loc bags. Next time we have them I just defrost and heat. Very easy. :D

Shattered said:
Meatloaf (mine) :D

First off, get rid of the "loaf" pans - they suck. Make it in an 8x8 pan, or a 9x13 pan, depending on how many people you have to feed. The sauce on top is where all the flavor is. :D

For an 8x8 pan:

1.5lbs lean ground chuck (beef, whatever - 8% fat or less)
1 med. onion coarsely chopped
1 ex. lg egg
1/4c (approx.) Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
salt, pepper, garlic powder, seasoning salt, onion powder to taste
1/8c. bbq sauce (I use KC Masterpiece)
1/8c. ketchup

Mix all together until "sticky" (eggs, bbq sauce and ketchup absorbed). (This is where you have to taste the raw meat to see if you need to add more seasonings/sauces).

Flatten into pan, and bake at 350 for approx. 30-45 mins. Drain grease from pan (I use a couple hotpads, and a plate over the top, and then blot with paper towels).

Make a "glaze" using equal parts ketchup, and bbq sauce, add honey until you can just taste it, and 1tbsp dried chopped onion. Spread over meatloaf and return to oven until "set" - approx. 10-15 mins.

When I was about 9,I ate some meatloaf at my friends house and it was the best I have ever had. This recipe with the glaze sounds like it could be close to what that was. I remember it had a red glaze on it that was soooo good. I am trying this recipe!!!!!

krisy said:
When I was about 9,I ate some meatloaf at my friends house and it was the best I have ever had. This recipe with the glaze sounds like it could be close to what that was. I remember it had a red glaze on it that was soooo good. I am trying this recipe!!!!!

If it is the same, they stole it cuz this is one I made up by trial and error. :D

UsaPride said:
We make meatloaf here alot. I don't make a "loaf" though. I make a bunch of little loaves, LOL! I use a huge tablespoon of the mix and make tiny loaves which the kids love and they cook a helluva lot faster. Plus, when I make up extra meat, I cook them all then freeze the extras in zip loc bags. Next time we have them I just defrost and heat. Very easy. :D

That is a great idea!! I think the kids would get a kick out of that. The picky one loves meatloaf(oddly enough).

Forum List

Back