New Computer With Windows 8.1...What am I in for???

Jackson

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010
Nashville

Just ordered my new computer and I ordered Windows 8.1. I have had my existing computer so long, I don't know what OS I have, but I know what I read about Windows 8 scares me completely.

I'm not ready to take four months to learn how to use a computer to primarily post on this message board, shop a little and play some simple games. What am I in for?

Just ordered my new computer and I ordered Windows 8.1. I have had my existing computer so long, I don't know what OS I have, but I know what I read about Windows 8 scares me completely.

I'm not ready to take four months to learn how to use a computer to primarily post on this message board, shop a little and play some simple games. What am I in for?

Jackson, good luck to you. A few months ago, I bought a new PC but went with Windows-7 while they are still available. MS will be supporting W-7 through 2020, so I feel good about avoiding that learning curve of W-8, right now. I have a 6 year reprieve at which time something else will be around that is more user-friendly than W-8.1 ( hopefully ) I generally purchase new PCs about every 6 years.

Jackson, good luck to you. A few months ago, I bought a new PC but went with Windows-7 while they are still available. MS will be supporting W-7 through 2020, so I feel good about avoiding that learning curve of W-8, right now. I have a 6 year reprieve at which time something else will be around that is more user-friendly than W-8.1 ( hopefully ) I generally purchase new PCs about every 6 years.

I am wondering if I should have gone that route!

It probably isn't too late to return it and go to Amazon for a new W-7 tower, mouse, and keyboard. I am using my 20 inch monitor I already had.

Or.....:boohoo:

Do you have a smart phone of any kind?

Welcome to hell on earth........ :eusa_whistle:

Get along with it or search for solutions for Windows 8´s half-cooked user interfaces of which it has two.
Don´t search for long and be frustrated by the results and try out my tool collection that includes advantageous content. Not only the UI issue is solved but there are also other solutions around Windows 8:
http://www.usmessageboard.com/computers/269659-windows-8-tips-and-support-9.html#post9512471

Do you have a smart phone of any kind?

No. I have a dumb phone. I don't even text.

To demonstrate how challenged I am, I've decided to hire Geek Squad to come in and set it up and transfer some files! Then I was going to suscribe for a year long remote "fixer" because I was so sure I would crash the first week and constantly thereafter.

So, now I'm thinking of just going to Best Buy and buying Windows 7 for that astonishing price and sending 8.1 back to Dell.

So, is that a plan? If what Athena says comes to fruition, Windows 9 may come out and be more user friendly by my 6 years is up.

If you decide to stay with Win 8, get yourself the Windows 8 Bible and Windows 8 Hacks. No, it's not a hacking book, but it does give you some clever little shortcuts to get around the nuances of 8. I have 8 on my laptop and tower and refuse to upgrade to 8.1.

Not much advantage to it.

Windows 8.1 is a good OS. Stable and easy on resources. Ultimately, it's Longhorn - the SAME system as Vista/Windows 7. Longhorn is unquestionably the best OS Microsoft has put out, and arguably the best ANYONE has produced.

But the OS is not the interface. I agree that Metro can be a challenge. Still, a few simple things will make it easy to use.

Use the Desktop. The traditional desktop is still there, and still works the same as it always did. You can create shortcuts and dock them on the task bar. I launch may apps off of icons on the desktop, exactly as I did under Window 7 and earlier.

Use Search - a right click and search will get you where you want to go with no fuss or muss.

Understand the corners. Hovering the mouse in corners does stuff, like popping up menus.

Explore - you may find that you like some of the Metro UI.

To demonstrate how challenged I am, I've decided to hire Geek Squad to come in and set it up and transfer some files! Then I was going to suscribe for a year long remote "fixer" because I was so sure I would crash the first week and constantly thereafter.

So, now I'm thinking of just going to Best Buy and buying Windows 7 for that astonishing price and sending 8.1 back to Dell.

So, is that a plan? If what Athena says comes to fruition, Windows 9 may come out and be more user friendly by my 6 years is up.

Dell has Win 7 machines still. Go to their online chat (with a customer service person) and they'll probably exchange it for you. Or go the Best Buy route if it works better for you. If the new laptop already shipped you may have to pay return shipping on it, don't know.

Not much advantage to it.

Windows 8.1 is a good OS. Stable and easy on resources. Ultimately, it's Longhorn - the SAME system as Vista/Windows 7. Longhorn is unquestionably the best OS Microsoft has put out, and arguably the best ANYONE has produced.

But the OS is not the interface. I agree that Metro can be a challenge. Still, a few simple things will make it easy to use.

Use the Desktop. The traditional desktop is still there, and still works the same as it always did. You can create shortcuts and dock them on the task bar. I launch may apps off of icons on the desktop, exactly as I did under Window 7 and earlier.

Use Search - a right click and search will get you where you want to go with no fuss or muss.

Understand the corners. Hovering the mouse in corners does stuff, like popping up menus.

Explore - you may find that you like some of the Metro UI.

Good post. The only good I see with Metro is the shopping section for games. I downloaded some really good Chess and Checker games as well as a neat Pinball game. Other than that, I'm like Uncensored and use Desktop. I don't need shortcuts. I just go to the mountain scene I have installed as my Desktop wallpaper, and then I'm where I'm used to being as in Windows XP.

Stupid Question #1... What is metro...The tiles people talk about?

Stupid Question #2....I think (???) I bought Dell Inspiron 23 5000 Seies 8GB 1TB windows 8.1 with a 27" monitor. Is it a touch computer?

Stupid Question #2....I think (???) I bought Dell Inspiron 23 5000 Seies 8GB 1TB windows 8.1 with a 27" monitor. Is it a touch computer?

Yep. Tiles are the Metro we are speaking of. I looked up your system, and it certainly appears to be a nice system. I suppose you mean touch screen, and that is an option, but whether you bought that option, you would only know that.

Yep. Tiles are the Metro we are speaking of. I looked up your system, and it certainly appears to be a nice system. I suppose you mean touch screen, and that is an option, but whether you bought that option, you would only know that.

Thank you very much! Now, if I can only use it. I'm getting it tomorrow or Wednesday. Will keep you updated.

Metro is the tile interface. Yes, it's an all-in-one with a touchscreen monitor. Win 8 really isn't that bad, most (like me) hate the Metro interface but even then it has a major learning curve for users going from XP straight to Win 8. There are things you can do to make it more Win 7 like thereby rarely having to deal with Metro except on boot up.
Win 7 has a learning curve for those upgrading from XP (or earlier releases) but it's not as bad.

Metro is the tile based interface that Microsoft brought out. They were sued over then name, because a game company owned it -so they changed it to the ever-stupid name of "Modern."

The Dell Inspiron 23 is a touch screen based system - exactly what 8.1 was designed for.

Windows 8 is one of the worst large scale modern operating systems yet. If not THE worst.
By modern I mean post-90's. Let's say 2000 - forward.
It is terrible. It is what critics say it is - an OS made for a smart phone, forced onto a computer.
A smart phone primarily does one thing at a time since of course the small display makes looking at more than one thing impossible. Desktops/Laptops do NOT do one thing at a time. Who the f*ck wants to click on a picture in an email - and the picture completely takes over the computer. You can't look at the image and your email at the same time. That is stupid.
Want to look at an excel file and your email at the same time?
Too bad.
Now, it is true you can abandon the Metro desktop and go back to the traditional desktop (sort of) - but then of course why would anyone want Window 8 - and set it back to a "sort of Windows 7 machine"??
It is as bad as people say it is.
Anyone saying different is a Microsoft fanboy and is being dishonest.

Windows 8 is one of the worst large scale modern operating systems yet. If not THE worst.
By modern I mean post-90's. Let's say 2000 - forward.
It is terrible. It is what critics say it is - an OS made for a smart phone, forced onto a computer.
A smart phone primarily does one thing at a time since of course the small display makes looking at more than one thing impossible. Desktops/Laptops do NOT do one thing at a time. Who the f*ck wants to click on a picture in an email - and the picture completely takes over the computer. You can't look at the image and your email at the same time. That is stupid.
Want to look at an excel file and your email at the same time?
Too bad.
Now, it is true you can abandon the Metro desktop and go back to the traditional desktop (sort of) - but then of course why would anyone want Window 8 - and set it back to a "sort of Windows 7 machine"??
It is as bad as people say it is.
Anyone saying different is a Microsoft fanboy and is being dishonest.

Either that, or they are educated and actually know what they are talking about.

It appears to me that you don't even know the difference between an operating system and a user interface.

Forum List

Back