Okay, so I bought a Mac Pro

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
Brought it home, plugged it in, started to get to know it. I already have an iPhone and iPad so how hard could it be?

I downloaded the app to 'port over' everything from my PC and sat back to watch the show.

And, nothing.

Turns out the Mac couldn't/wouldn't/didn't stay connected to my IP. It kept looking for the network, it would find it, connect and then, within just a couple of seconds, disconnect and try again.

Same when I was on line. I posted here a few times and over and over, I got the same message that it could not locate my IP signal.

WTH?

I called Apple and they told me I should switch to a faster connection.

Well DUH. If I could have a faster connection, I sure as hell would.

We live out in the middle of nowhere and we've got the best that's available.

So, I took the Mac back today and I'm shopping for a new PC. We'll be going to the big city next week and I may go to Best Buy.

One more thing - The Mac was more than $2000. I gotta say that I didn't see anything that I believed made it worth that.

Any geek types here want to comment on this?

I've had a few experiences with Macs and I didn't enjoy them at all.

But aI was getting tired of slower and slower PC's so I got a ChromeBook and I love it! Solid State drive means it boots REAL QUICK! I bought a 32 Gig thumb drive for it and that's really all I need.

WiFi

We picked up a little $300 ChromeBook and just hate it. I'm going to sell it on Ebay.

Don't know about Windows 7 or 8 but have heard bad things about the latest incarnation. I sometimes wish they'd stop "improving" things that work. OTOH, if left to my own devices, I'd probably still be using win 98.

I would have liked to keep the Mac but damn - how weird is it that all it did was search for the IP signal?

WiFi

We picked up a little $300 ChromeBook and just hate it. I'm going to sell it on Ebay.

Don't know about Windows 7 or 8 but have heard bad things about the latest incarnation. I sometimes wish they'd stop "improving" things that work. OTOH, if left to my own devices, I'd probably still be using win 98.

I would have liked to keep the Mac but damn - how weird is it that all it did was search for the IP signal?

Usually wifi just automatically works. But when it doesn't it can be a bitch to fix. Guest ip's, different channels on the modem or router, etc. There's always a way to get the computer and the router to talk to each other.

If you're still considering a Mac there's likely a way to fix it in an hour or so, mostly research, if that problem happens again. I'm leaning towards that you might have missed a step in the setup or something like that.

I don't know why they said your internet speed wasn't fast enough. Unless it's dial up that shouldn't be an issue :dunno:

I've had PCs that have served me flawlessly for 10 plus years and still worked fine when I donated them. The real upside is I didn't over pay for an over priced, over hyped Apple product. :thup:

WiFi

I like Windows 7 but I definitely agree with you about Win 98. I was perfectly content with it. I might be wrong but I believe all that was really needed to bring 98(SE) up to the performance level of Windows 7 are occasional upgrades -- rather than needing to buy a whole new computer with the latest incarnation of Windows complete with a learning curve and some little disappointments.

When my system with XP died I was about to order a new one with Windows 8. But fortunately a friend advised me to get 7 instead and based on all I've heard that advice was golden.

Brought it home, plugged it in, started to get to know it. I already have an iPhone and iPad so how hard could it be?

I downloaded the app to 'port over' everything from my PC and sat back to watch the show.

And, nothing.

Turns out the Mac couldn't/wouldn't/didn't stay connected to my IP. It kept looking for the network, it would find it, connect and then, within just a couple of seconds, disconnect and try again.

Same when I was on line. I posted here a few times and over and over, I got the same message that it could not locate my IP signal.

WTH?

I called Apple and they told me I should switch to a faster connection.

Well DUH. If I could have a faster connection, I sure as hell would.

We live out in the middle of nowhere and we've got the best that's available.

So, I took the Mac back today and I'm shopping for a new PC. We'll be going to the big city next week and I may go to Best Buy.

One more thing - The Mac was more than $2000. I gotta say that I didn't see anything that I believed made it worth that.

Any geek types here want to comment on this?
I thought Apple would download the information to your new Mac for free.

Forum List

Back