New Computer With Windows 8.1...What am I in for???

All of which you could do before tiles, even in Win XP.

Longhorn ended the advantage of Linux.

The NT kernel was unsecure by nature, no amount of tweaks could ever change the fact that zero ring commands were part of the architecture. For Linux fanatics, this was the target to take out M$ - but Longhorn changed that, Longhorn is far MORE secure than Debian and other Linux systems.

I've noted that many Linux fanatics pine for the days of XP - but not because XP was such a great system - quite the opposite.

Your really reaching. But not touching a thing.
Banks all over the world overwhelmingly use Microsoft to secure their data...oh wait...they use Linux.
The internet is primarily ran on Windows...oh wait...no it is Linux.
The military primarily uses Windows and embedded Windows for everything...oh wait...no they use *nix varients and their own custom embedded *nix systems contracted for military hardware and critical systems.
Yeah...just the other day I was on a nuclear sub and it operates on Windows 8...yes...
Yep..the whole world is wrong about Linux security, and you are right. :eusa_shhh:

Love Windows 8.1. Its a great OS. Easy to get around, looks great, runs great etc.

In the office I use a Mac. At home I'm either on my PC which runs Windows 7 or my All-in-One Dell which runs Windows 8.1.

I like change and 8.1 is a great 'change'.

Love Windows 8.1. Its a great OS. Easy to get around, looks great, runs great etc.

In the office I use a Mac. At home I'm either on my PC which runs Windows 7 or my All-in-One Dell which runs Windows 8.1.

You got rid of the Surface Pro?

I'm on the SP3 now, but no way will I give up my Surface..

Your really reaching. But not touching a thing.
Banks all over the world overwhelmingly use Microsoft to secure their data...oh wait...they use Linux.
The internet is primarily ran on Windows...oh wait...no it is Linux.
The military primarily uses Windows and embedded Windows for everything...oh wait...no they use *nix varients and their own custom embedded *nix systems contracted for military hardware and critical systems.
Yeah...just the other day I was on a nuclear sub and it operates on Windows 8...yes...
Yep..the whole world is wrong about Linux security, and you are right. :eusa_shhh:

B of A runs entirely on Windows. They run MSSQL on Server 2008R2 on the backend and Windows 7 on the client side.

Now for something REALLY scary, watch them reboot a B of A ATM sometime - THOSE run Windows XP.

Wells Fargo runs Suse on IBM blade architecture for the backend, with Windows 7 for client boxes. Other banks I don't know.

Can´t share your opinion. Neither does it look great nor does the second user interface make any sense. At least the choice should be given whether one wants to install and use that Modern UI or not.

I was using XP up until I got this laptop. Microsoft was abandoning XP and my old laptop gave up the ghost around the same time.

I got this HP pavilion on Black Friday from Walmart for like 299 or something...and let me tell you, learning Win 8.1 was an experience...but now that I have a have a handle on it, I like it as much as if not more than XP.

The ONE terrible thing about Windows 8.1 over Win 7 is, Win 7 came with a Virtual XP built in and Windows 8.1 doesn't...you have to pay for it.

Virtual PC has been replaced with Hyper-V, the server level program that was released in 2006. Hyper-V is part of Windows 8, you just need to turn it on. It is compatible with all your existing VPC files, so you can import old virtual machines directly.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-8-feature-focus-client-hyper-v

You will have to supply a valid key for XP - but most people have one or more of those laying around.

Couldn't find Hyper-V on my machine...Google says it's on 8 Pro but not 8 Home.

Instead I followed these instructions...Forget The End Of Life Woes: Windows 8 Has An XP Mode

Then I went here (Index of /virtualbox/) and downloaded the Guest Addition .iso and Expansion Pack and opened them IN XP inside the VirtualBox program.

Finally got it working about a half hour ago.

Now FYI warning - I have no idea what I am doing...I just followed instruction...use the links above AYOR!

But it did work for me...I installed Chessmaster 9000 and MapSend Topo 3d and they are working.

Last edited:
Metro works well on a touch screen, but is horrible with a mouse.

It's really horrible without a mouse, especially on my laptop touch pad, and God, do I hate touch pads.

Wireless mouse...... Never us a laptop without one....... :cool:
The Logitech MS70 wireless trackball is excellent! It is absolutely flawless and I can't praise it enough. I have two (for both desktop and laptop) and I'm amazed at how well they work.

Last edited:
It's really horrible without a mouse, especially on my laptop touch pad, and God, do I hate touch pads.

The Logitech MS70 wireless trackball is excellent! It is absolutely flawless and I can't praise it enough. I have two (for both desktop and laptop) and I'm amazed at how well they work.

Ya sell em or have stock in the company.........? :eusa_whistle:
Psst.... I hate trackballs......

Just ordered my new computer and I ordered Windows 8.1. I have had my existing computer so long, I don't know what OS I have, but I know what I read about Windows 8 scares me completely.

I'm not ready to take four months to learn how to use a computer to primarily post on this message board, shop a little and play some simple games. What am I in for?

Welcome to hell on earth........ :eusa_whistle:

Exactly. Suckage...lots of suckage.

Can´t share your opinion. Neither does it look great nor does the second user interface make any sense. At least the choice should be given whether one wants to install and use that Modern UI or not.

I'm always getting that nag screen from 8.1 to install, but I just blow it off. Win 8 is fine for me. I keep it well updated. I refuse to blow everything away I have set up, just for 8.1 that MS claims to be better.

I presently have the Logitech Trackman Marble Mouse so I can see myself upgrading to the Logitech Cordless Optical trackman, but at $404...I stay with what I have!

Just ordered my new computer and I ordered Windows 8.1. I have had my existing computer so long, I don't know what OS I have, but I know what I read about Windows 8 scares me completely.

I'm not ready to take four months to learn how to use a computer to primarily post on this message board, shop a little and play some simple games. What am I in for?

A reformatting of the hd if you're smart. Should never use pre-installed systems, no telling what they buried in there. :)

I was using XP up until I got this laptop. Microsoft was abandoning XP and my old laptop gave up the ghost around the same time.

I got this HP pavilion on Black Friday from Walmart for like 299 or something...and let me tell you, learning Win 8.1 was an experience...but now that I have a have a handle on it, I like it as much as if not more than XP.

The ONE terrible thing about Windows 8.1 over Win 7 is, Win 7 came with a Virtual XP built in and Windows 8.1 doesn't...you have to pay for it.

Virtual PC has been replaced with Hyper-V, the server level program that was released in 2006. Hyper-V is part of Windows 8, you just need to turn it on. It is compatible with all your existing VPC files, so you can import old virtual machines directly.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-8-feature-focus-client-hyper-v

You will have to supply a valid key for XP - but most people have one or more of those laying around.

Couldn't find Hyper-V on my machine...Google says it's on 8 Pro but not 8 Home.

Instead I followed these instructions...Forget The End Of Life Woes: Windows 8 Has An XP Mode

Then I went here (Index of /virtualbox/) and downloaded the Guest Addition .iso and Expansion Pack and opened them IN XP inside the VirtualBox program.

Finally got it working about a half hour ago.

Now FYI warning - I have no idea what I am doing...I just followed instruction...use the links above AYOR!

But it did work for me...I installed Chessmaster 9000 and MapSend Topo 3d and they are working.

You're right that it is 8 Pro only. I didn't realize any machines were being sold that didn't have Pro on them. Shame on Dell for putting home on a machine.

Virtual box works well. It's Oracle so be careful it doesn't install the Ask virus, but it has done fine in my experience.

my wife's sister got this and was totally confused. also she could not install older software like her printer and an older version of MS office. she dumped it

Never had one but they are awesome. SP3 is killer :) I bought the Dell XPS 12 all-in-one and I'm super happy with it.

Oh by the way ;) >>>> http://www.surfaceforums.net/

Never had one but they are awesome. SP3 is killer :) I bought the Dell XPS 12 all-in-one and I'm super happy with it.

Oh by the way ;) >>>> Microsoft Surface Forums

Since you started the forum, I sort of assumed you had one...

Anyway, love the 3, it is the only mobile device I use, other than a phone. Tablets, notebooks, and laptops have all be retired.

I presently have the Logitech Trackman Marble Mouse so I can see myself upgrading to the Logitech Cordless Optical trackman, but at $404...I stay with what I have!
The Logitech MS70 is a giant-step improvement over the Trackman. It is wireless, it functions flawlessly, and cleaning it is amazingly simplified. The ball pops right out and right back in, no screws, no hassle. And it costs only $35.

If you like using a trackball you will love the MS70!

When I like something as much as I like this device it deserves my praise.

I hate mice . . . mouses . . . meese.

So I suppose it's what one is accustomed to.

When I like something as much as I like this device it deserves my praise.

I hate mice . . . mouses . . . meese.

So I suppose it's what one is accustomed to.

Yeah...I love marble ball. Can't get used to the traditional one now.

Forum List

Back