New Build

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
Working out what I want for a new desktop. Not interested in the latest and greatest and already planned for being able to upgrade with the one I built 6 years ago which didn't work out because it's now an antique......
So here's what I'm planning for the next "throw away"...... :D

Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 motherboard

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A99FX_PRO_R20/overview/

AMD FD8320FRHKBOX FX-8320 FX-Series 8-Core Black Edition CPU

This is the core I'll build from.

I don't know that the choice of motherboard makes this a throwaway system.

Search Results for M5A99FX PRO R2.0 at TigerDirect.com

119.....But there are other options if Asus is what your after.

170 for the CPU isn't bad, since that is a pretty damn good cpu.

Search Results for AMD FD8320FRHKBOX FX-8320 at TigerDirect.com

My last build had an ASUS M4A78 Pro (all DDR2 with crossfire) and a Phenom IIx2 550 Callisto CPU, not high end but very good, it's still relatively fast but now considered an antique by today's standards. I know that in another six years whatever I build now will most likely be in the same boat so why fork out extra money for something that will be obsolete not that far down the road?
When I say throwaway I don't literally mean I'll toss it out, I'm referring to obsolescence.
I will look at the one's you suggested. :thup:

My last build had an ASUS M4A78 Pro (all DDR2 with crossfire) and a Phenom IIx2 550 Callisto CPU, not high end but very good, it's still relatively fast but now considered an antique by today's standards. I know that in another six years whatever I build now will most likely be in the same boat so why fork out extra money for something that will be obsolete not that far down the road?
When I say throwaway I don't literally mean I'll toss it out, I'm referring to obsolescence.
Well, obsolecence in terms of windows. I have old boxes that are slow as frozen dog piss in January when I put winders on it, but move okay when I have a Linux Distro.

Even six years from now, that package you are putting together would run an Oracle DB real fast and the only possible slowdown would be the sheer size of the storage file.

I've always been a fan of Linux for speed and reliability. Not so friendly for the every day lay person, but as web servers and database servers, they can't be beat.

Well, obsolecence in terms of windows. I have old boxes that are slow as frozen dog piss in January when I put winders on it, but move okay when I have a Linux Distro.

Even six years from now, that package you are putting together would run an Oracle DB real fast and the only possible slowdown would be the sheer size of the storage file.

I've always been a fan of Linux for speed and reliability. Not so friendly for the every day lay person, but as web servers and database servers, they can't be beat.

I've found that even the newer Mint and Ubuntu distros are slow on the old P4s, nice and fast on my current machine as is Windows with the new 2 TB Nvidia I put in it. The only reason I run Windows is I'm a (sorta) gamer, never multiplayer, and I like high graphic games, if it wasn't for that I'd be running Linux only.
Obsolescence to me means it costs as much or more to upgrade my CPU and RAM as it would to build a new, much faster system. Hell, just a Phenom IIx4 chip will cost $100 and that's the best chip I can put on my current mobo not to mention the cost of DDR2 which is as much if not more than DDR3 and the current mobo will only handle 16GBs with a 64bit OS.

I've found that even the newer Mint and Ubuntu distros are slow on the old P4s, nice and fast on my current machine as is Windows with the new 2 TB Nvidia I put in it. The only reason I run Windows is I'm a (sorta) gamer, never multiplayer, and I like high graphic games, if it wasn't for that I'd be running Linux only.
Obsolescence to me means it costs as much or more to upgrade my CPU and RAM as it would to build a new, much faster system. Hell, just a Phenom IIx4 chip will cost $100 and that's the best chip I can put on my current mobo not to mention the cost of DDR2 which is as much if not more than DDR3 and the current mobo will only handle 16GBs with a 64bit OS.
You've tried Mint? I've never heard of it, and have to say, right now, I just don't have time to go through the specs.

You've tried Mint? I've never heard of it, and have to say, right now, I just don't have time to go through the specs.

When Ubuntu first came out with Unity I hated it and switched over to Mint (built on Ubuntu), now that Unity has had time to develop and become more polished I've started using it again but I still use Mint on one system. Mint and Ubuntu are pretty much the big two Linux distros, surprised you've never heard of it.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back