Computer question.

PredFan

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2011
In Liberal minds, rent free.
Do modern desktop computers need the air conditioning like they used to? My AC is being replaced, and it will be in the 80s in this house for maybe two days.

Will I be without my desktop computer for that time?

Do modern desktop computers need the air conditioning like they used to? My AC is being replaced, and it will be in the 80s in this house for maybe two days.

It's not a good idea.

Modern CPUs run pretty hot.

I presume your tower has internal fans.
The CPU may have a max temperature it can handle until it shuts off via self detection.
How old is the machine?
Is it a slower CPU? 1.XGHz? A slower chip MIGHT be able to handle the heat.
If it's under a desk and you can't afford a new CPU, don't use it.

I presume your tower has internal fans.
The CPU may have a max temperature it can handle until it shuts off via self detection.
How old is the machine?
Is it a slower CPU? 1.XGHz? A slower chip MIGHT be able to handle the heat.
If it's under a desk and you can't afford a new CPU, don't use it.

It's a Gateway CPU less that 2 years old.

Btw, I'm posting from my iPhone now so I'll still be able to post here. The problem is I can't play World of Warcraft and I've got Rated Battlegrounds scheduled!

It's not a good idea.

What temp do you think it can safely run?

70 is generally okay.

80 and above is asking for trouble.

Visit an office building with computers. They are pretty cool, temperature wise.

That isn't for the comfort of the people working there.

It's not a good idea.

Computers these days have built in shut offs if the CPU starts running hot. Not a good idea to rely on that shut off too many times. Now I don't think 80 degrees on a home machine is that critical, I've run mine in much warmer conditions, numerous times, without incident.
If you're worried about it open the side panels and put a small fan up against it blowing air through it, you can always clean (vacuum) the computer out later.

It's not a good idea.

Computers these days have built in shut offs if the CPU starts running hot. Not a good idea to rely on that shut off too many times. Now I don't think 80 degrees on a home machine is that critical, I've run mine in much warmer conditions, numerous times, without incident.
If you're worried about it open the side panels and put a small fan up against it blowing air through it, you can always clean (vacuum) the computer out later.

Good idea.

The CPU may short out, not to mention a hard drive that approaches 120 degrees.
All good advice.
Keep it off.

>

Well, if you really need your WOW fix...

You could run an extension cord and a long Ethernet cable out car and sit in the drive way.

;)

>>>>

Good idea.
I have mine (the main one I use) in an older, poorly vented case so I keep the side panels off and make sure I clean it from time to time. The next build (hopefully soon) will have a proper box allowing for more airflow.

80 is not too hot. I ran mine in a production setting 10 degrees hotter than that with no issues. If worried you could pull a cover off and direct a floor fan into it but you don't need to.

you're talking about raising the ambient temperature somewhere between 5 and 10 degrees C. with my own setup my cpu will run up to 100 C and normally sits just shy of 50. i think you're fine.

you're talking about raising the ambient temperature somewhere between 5 and 10 degrees C. with my own setup my cpu will run up to 100 C and normally sits just shy of 50. i think you're fine.

As I stated with my first posting, "If you can afford it."
I'm not going to advise running a machine at the risk of several hundred dollars worth of damage unless I can actually experience the environment it's in.
I've seen motherboard ports, CPUs, hard-drives and memory burn out at 115 degrees.

What we need is the advice of an H1-B!

As I stated with my first posting, "If you can afford it."
I'm not going to advise running a machine at the risk of several hundred dollars worth of damage unless I can actually experience the environment it's in.
I've seen motherboard ports, CPUs, hard-drives and memory burn out at 115 degrees.

What we need is the advice of an H1-B!

i don't disagree with you on that necessarily, but in my own uneducated opinion if you're already sitting that close to maximum tolerance (just shy 5-10 degrees) in regular operation you're probably headed for troubles regardless.

Meh, I'll see if I can get by for one Sunday night without my computer. The tough part will be that I'll have to sit down and watch one of my wife's shows on TV with her. Yikes!

It's not a good idea.

I agree. 80 isn't all that critical. I've run a couple of systems in temps approaching 90.

However, if you are concerned, you can open the side panel and point a little desktop fan into the box to help with cooling.

Oh, and while you in there, vacuum out your dirty computer you slob!!!

LOL

People never do and dust is a bigger enemy to your computer than heat in some ways.

Last edited:

You should not have trouble if the CPU fan is working. If it over heats the cpu will shut down until it cools off.

Forum List

Back