Libertarian Radical
Feb 8, 2011
Behind the Orange Curtain
I'm doing a system refresh.

ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX Motherboard
Intel Core i7-4790
Crucial Ballistix Elite 16GB
Corsair Hydro Series H105 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler

I should be able to retain a stable 5.0 as I have with the 3770K and pump out significantly better performance at less power.

But then the question is the video card.

I've been ATI guy for a decade (and hesitate to call them AMD, even now.) I currently have a R9 290. It's a good card, and the ATI mainstream flagship. But I'm doing a refresh and want the best.

So I looked at what I can upgrade to. AMD/ATI is still pushing the 290 as the flagship a year later. The 290X is faster than what I have, but also pushing $700. The big thing is that this card equals the 290X

MSI GeForce GTX 980

For over a hundred dollars less.

So, I'm going back to Nvidia after all these years, hope I don't regret it.

I just got a weaker one than you but it's a 2TB SATA-III 6.0 Gb....AMD FX-8320 3.5Ghz eight-core AM3 + CPU 6MB cache with Turbo Charged Technology

For gaming

Intel Core i7-4790

I should be able to retain a stable 5.0 as I have with the 3770K and pump out significantly better performance at less power.

I've been ATI guy for a decade (and hesitate to call them AMD, even now.) I currently have a R9 290. It's a good card, and the ATI mainstream flagship. But I'm doing a refresh and want the best.

So I looked at what I can upgrade to. AMD/ATI is still pushing the 290 as the flagship a year later. The 290X is faster than what I have, but also pushing $700. The big thing is that this card equals the 290X

MSI GeForce GTX 980

I would not overclock that brand new hardware. You have no benefit, lose warranty and risk a premature decease.

Intel Core i7-4790

MSI GeForce GTX 980

I would not overclock that brand new hardware. You have no benefit, lose warranty and risk a premature decease.

I always overclock, it's half the fun.

Intel Core i7-4790

MSI GeForce GTX 980

Not to me with that hardware...

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI P6-U06 mit Tapatalk 2

I change my hardware every year or so anyway. I've never had issues with a CPU beyond instability. If the machine is unstable, I back down the clocking. I did fry some RAM once, but that was years ago. The Cleo case I use has temperature read outs on the front, so if the core starts to get too hot, I can shut it down and adjust.

I change my hardware every year or so anyway. I've never had issues with a CPU beyond instability. If the machine is unstable, I back down the clocking. I did fry some RAM once, but that was years ago. The Cleo case I use has temperature read outs on the front, so if the core starts to get too hot, I can shut it down and adjust.
Years ago I had an Athlon X2 4200+. It has 2,5 GHz but I overclocked it to 2,87 without adjusting the voltage. It ran fine until I replaced it.

Intel Core i7-4790

MSI GeForce GTX 980

Gudzoontight.....

I briefly considered liquid-cooling and did some extensive study on it. I was just about ready to get one when someone on a forum asked about chipset cooling. I remember back in 2009 when I put together my first quad core processor system with the air cooler and heatsink that came with the processor. It kept the CPU cool, but the chipset kept overheating and setting off an overheating alarm. I then went and bought this gigantic 120 mm heatsink and fan. It was able to cool the chipset as well as the processor. With this liquid-cooling system, I also note that it cools the CPU quite well, but the heatsink appears to be on its own. As a result, when I built my present system, I opted for the Gabriel air cooler's 140 mm fan. I haven't had one alarm go off and my processor never goes above 130 degrees F when I'm playing the graphics intensive games. Here is what I use:

Gabriel DEEPCOOL GAMER STORM

Do you mean you build a new PC every year, or just change parts like add memory or buy a new card or change out a CPU? Since CPU's are such a pain to swap out, these days, I just go ahead and build a new one. I should have put in an I7 but opted for an I5 because I was getting a good deal with a motherboard/processor combo.

Do you mean you build a new PC every year, or just change parts like add memory or buy a new card or change out a CPU? Since CPU's are such a pain to swap out, these days, I just go ahead and build a new one. I should have put in an I7 but opted for an I5 because I was getting a good deal with a motherboard/processor combo.

I usually swap mobo, CPU, and RAM every 12 to 18 months. I like to pair the CPU and motherboard. I reuse the old parts in other machines, so the RAM ensures a complete package.

Oh, and there are some interesting studies on I5 vs. I7 performance. In games, the I7 may not matter as much as people think. Photoshop and Video editing, yes - but hyperthreading may not matter in most games.

Last edited:

I usually swap mobo, CPU, and RAM every 12 to 18 months. I like to pair the CPU and motherboard. I reuse the old parts in other machines, so the RAM ensures a complete package.

Oh, and there are some interesting studies on I5 vs. I7 performance. In games, the I7 may not matter as much as people think. Photoshop and Video editing, yes - but hyperthreading may not matter in most games.
The CPUs are much faster than the games require. Any CPU for 100 Bucks will do the trick. If you want to see a significant difference, take out the GPU by lowering the graphics settings to the minimum.

The CPUs are much faster than the games require. Any CPU for 100 Bucks will do the trick. If you want to see a significant difference, take out the GPU by lowering the graphics settings to the minimum.

Or buy the top of the line GPU.

Obviously I don't - the Titan is the top of all GPU's - the 980 is second. I've found that second tier is a vastly better deal.

Honestly, the best bang for your buck is still the AMD R9-290, the Geforce GTX-980 will outrun it, but costs twice as much.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html

Forum List

Back