New Bill of Rights

Navy1960

Sep 4, 2008
Arizona
Recently during a Barack Obama campaign rally one of the many congressional candidates came out onto the stage to get the crowd worked up prior to Brack Obama's appearence. The major theme for the speech was proposing a Second Bill of Rights so I thought I would give you a little background on this. This is nothing new, this was actually something that FDR wanted to do many years ago, and I thought I would post it here to spark some debate.

Yes, Roosevelt advocated a new bill of rights that would protect the ‘positive’ rights he thought each of us should have, namely:

* A job with a living wage
* Freedom from unfair competition and monopolies
* Homeownership
* Medical care
* Education
* Recreation

It is our duty now to begin to lay the plans and determine the strategy for the winning of a lasting peace and the establishment of an American standard of living higher than ever before known. We cannot be content, no matter how high that general standard of living may be, if some fraction of our people—whether it be one-third or one-fifth or one-tenth—is ill-fed, ill-clothed, ill-housed, and insecure.

This Republic had its beginning, and grew to its present strength, under the protection of certain inalienable political rights—among them the right of free speech, free press, free worship, trial by jury, freedom from unreasonable searches and seizures. They were our rights to life and liberty.

As our nation has grown in size and stature, however—as our industrial economy expanded—these political rights proved inadequate to assure us equality in the pursuit of happiness.

We have come to a clear realization of the fact that true individual freedom cannot exist without economic security and independence. “Necessitous men are not free men.” People who are hungry and out of a job are the stuff of which dictatorships are made.

In our day these economic truths have become accepted as self-evident. We have accepted, so to speak, a second Bill of Rights under which a new basis of security and prosperity can be established for all—regardless of station, race, or creed.

Among these are:

The right to a useful and remunerative job in the industries or shops or farms or mines of the nation;

The right to earn enough to provide adequate food and clothing and recreation;

The right of every farmer to raise and sell his products at a return which will give him and his family a decent living;

The right of every businessman, large and small, to trade in an atmosphere of freedom from unfair competition and domination by monopolies at home or abroad;

The right of every family to a decent home;

The right to adequate medical care and the opportunity to achieve and enjoy good health;

The right to adequate protection from the economic fears of old age, sickness, accident, and unemployment;

The right to a good education.

All of these rights spell security. And after this war is won we must be prepared to move forward, in the implementation of these rights, to new goals of human happiness and well-being.

America’s own rightful place in the world depends in large part upon how fully these and similar rights have been carried into practice for our citizens.

Sweetness & Light

I read the article, I read the following blog entries, and I watched the youtube.

I would modify them to read:

Among these are:

The opportunity to obtain a useful and remunerative job in the industries or shops or farms or mines of the nation;

The opportunity to earn enough to provide adequate food and clothing and recreation;

The opportunity for every farmer to raise and sell his products at a return which will give him and his family a decent living;

The opportunity for every businessman, large and small, to trade in an atmosphere of freedom from unfair government regulation and criminal competition used to create monopolies at home or abroad;

The opportunity to obtain a decent home;

yadablahetc I am sure you get the idea.

I am fully in favor of ensuring that every American has the opportunity to excel. Hell, I have/will contribute to the causes I think will further that goal. My objection is to folks attempting to legislate their core values onto me.

I read the article, I read the following blog entries, and I watched the youtube.

I would modify them to read:

Among these are:

The opportunity to obtain a useful and remunerative job in the industries or shops or farms or mines of the nation;

The opportunity to earn enough to provide adequate food and clothing and recreation;

The opportunity for every farmer to raise and sell his products at a return which will give him and his family a decent living;
How about
The opportunity for every businessman, large and small, to trade in an atmosphere of freedom from unfair government regulation and criminal competition used to create monopolies at home or abroad;

The opportunity to obtain a decent home;

yadablahetc I am sure you get the idea.

I am fully in favor of ensuring that every American has the opportunity to excel. Hell, I have/will contribute to the causes I think will further that goal. My objection is to folks attempting to legislate their core values onto me.

How about just Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness, it does seem the founders of our nations wisdom translates across time. While I completely understand your assessment of it as well. IMHO in a society that offers no incentives to excel , is a society destined to fall. When a person has everything in life given to them without need to work and educate to obtain them, then they and the society they live in grows stagnent. This kind of society has been tried once before on a grand scale and for those of us old enough to remember , we still remember the people with sledge hammers tearing down the last remnants of it in order to be free.

How about just Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness, it does seem the founders of our nations wisdom translates across time. While I completely understand your assessment of it as well. IMHO in a society that offers no incentives to excel , is a society destined to fall. When a person has everything in life given to them without need to work and educate to obtain them, then they and the society they live in grows stagnent. This kind of society has been tried once before on a grand scale and for those of us old enough to remember , we still remember the people with sledge hammers tearing down the last remnants of it in order to be free.

I am fine with the constitution being left unmodified. Everything I mentioned is already in there. And more.

But, just in case our legislature wishes to create yet another worthless "Sense of the Senate" or "House Resolutions" bill that is legally worthless....

I figure I can offer them a properly worded format.

I am fine with the constitution being left unmodified. Everything I mentioned is already in there. And more.

But, just in case our legislature wishes to create yet another worthless "Sense of the Senate" or "House Resolutions" bill that is legally worthless....

I figure I can offer them a properly worded format.

Don't you love those "Sense of the Senate" bills, perhaps they will pass this one along with the one that pats the back of the next Super Bowl winner. While they have their place, from all the things that are being tossed around from a constituational standpoint, we as voters are going to be very busy voting on Amendments it appears.

If Obama and the Democratically controlled Congress start pushing these programs down our throats, I fear that several splinter groups will rise up and do something about it. What they'll do I'm not exactly sure, but it worries me.

If Obama and the Democratically controlled Congress start pushing these programs down our throats, I fear that several splinter groups will rise up and do something about it. What they'll do I'm not exactly sure, but it worries me.

I honestly don't recall in any election that I have ever been a part of where people on both sides are so vested in winning it and so scared at not winning it. Your correct it makes me wonder of how people are going to react.

Don't you love those "Sense of the Senate" bills, perhaps they will pass this one along with the one that pats the back of the next Super Bowl winner. While they have their place, from all the things that are being tossed around from a constituational standpoint, we as voters are going to be very busy voting on Amendments it appears.

Heh. We don't get to vote on Amendments. We have to hope the State Legislatures are able to foregoe the amendment process and refuse ratification.

I honestly don't recall in any election that I have ever been a part of where people on both sides are so vested in winning it and so scared at not winning it. Your correct it makes me wonder of how people are going to react.
Fasten your seat belts...It's gonna be a bumpy ride....:eusa_angel:

Heh. We don't get to vote on Amendments. We have to hope the State Legislatures are able to foregoe the amendment process and refuse ratification.

By proxy my friend thats why we vote in local elections. Of course you and I don't but we vote for the persons that do.

You are right. That's how we do it here as well. I was hoping you'd come back and say that your state election laws required a referendum by the electorate as part of your ratification process.

You are right. That's how we do it here as well. I was hoping you'd come back and say that your state election laws required a referendum by the electorate as part of your ratification process.

Our state legislature is the body that processes the ratification process here on Federal Constitutional issues. However, on state one's we work on the statewide referendum process. i.e. propositions. This year there are a whole host of them, one that's called the Right to health care. Which is proposal to add to our constitution giving the right to choose your healthcare from whomever you wish. This was done by two local doctors as sort of a stop gap measure for mandated healthcare. Our gov. though is very much opposed to it and is on the radio everyday telling everyone to vote no on it.

a New Bill of Rights???

I suppose one can argue Infinite, that these proposals for adding to the bill of rights are not new considering that FDR proposed them many years ago. However as they were never implemented and it would require at the very least state wide ratification for a constitutional amendment that would make it new. These are "Rights" that are being proposed at this very moment and my point was that they are hardly new rather they are being brought back again from the past.

Not true, depends on format, some are State votes some are legislature votes.

I don't get what you are driving at.

In my voting lifetime there has been one amendment to the Constitution ratified by a sufficient number of states to be considered complete, the 27th. I personally didn't vote to approve ratification in my state. The state legislature did.

IF you are talking about a statewide convention, separate from the legislature, then I get what you are trying to say.

It is worth noting that if the legislature approves or denies ratification that "the Supreme Court has ruled that a popular referendum is not a substitute for either the legislature nor a convention, nor can a referendum approve of or disapprove of the legislature's or a convention's decision on an amendment."

Last edited:

Forum List

Back