ND Teacher Shortage: Students Teachers To Be "Teachers of Record"

Seems like student teaching experience would be a requirement they have to meet before they did this since that would be part of the coursework they would have to have finished. Either way, I am not sure that it is fundamentally always a bad idea, but time will tell. I mean they let third year law students practice law without having graduated or passed any bar exam under some pro bono circumstances so it isn't that far afield.

I personally don't think the teacher shortage is as much about the pay as some do though. I think it is because students have gotten so unruly as many youtubes floating around out there can attest to. Teachers seemingly need a law enforcement double major or minor in a lot of places. Our city schools have gotten pretty bad. It is why we pay for two of ours to go to school elsewhere. #1 is about to fly the coop to get his woke degree in lesbian basket weaving or whatever it is they teach now. A coworkers daughter had to quit teaching after a couple years because she was having such bad panic attacks she was ending up in the ER. Hasn't had one since she quit the profession.

You hit the nail on the head. Student behavior. On top of that, my fellow conservatives on another thread I started insisting that is it RIGHT that school staff be JAILED for not reporting a hearsay account of student-on-student sexual assault. They did report eventually, but not fast enough. So to JAIL with them.

My point is: everyone wants everything from teachers--or nothing at all (don't tell anything of your personal life! Just teach the basics!)--and it must be delivered perfectly at all times. In a profession where your every day is a thousand moving parts.

I don't blame anyone for getting out or any young person for not getting into it now, much as I love it. Our SOCIETY is ungovernable and has made it impossible.

You hit the nail on the head. Student behavior. On top of that, my fellow conservatives on another thread I started insisting that is it RIGHT that school staff be JAILED for not reporting a hearsay account of student-on-student sexual assault. They did report eventually, but not fast enough. So to JAIL with them.

My point is: everyone wants everything from teachers--or nothing at all (don't tell anything of your personal life! Just teach the basics!)--and it must be delivered perfectly at all times. In a profession where your every day is a thousand moving parts.

I don't blame anyone for getting out or any young person for not getting into it now, much as I love it. Our SOCIETY is ungovernable and has made it impossible.
Same old bitching and moaning... :rolleyes:

Texas has a pretty good alternative certification program. You have to have finished college already to enroll in a program. But you can applly to teach as an "intern" for one year while you finish it the courses in the alternative certification program.

I waited until I finished the coursework, because I wasn't unemployed. When I got hired, there was no student teaching, I was just put in to sink or swim. I was almost forty, and I'd had plenty of sink-or-swim jobs, including part time private school, so no biggie. I was asked so many times how "overwhelmed" I was that I finally started humoring them.

One thing that dissappointed me about the alternative cert is that they never told me "OK, this is how you teach." That part I had to figure out. Any aspring teachers out there, I recommend you read Harry Wong to learn how to manage a classroom, and "The Fundamental 5" to learn how to teach any subject.

What you get with a 40 year old coming out of a career is much, much different than what you get with a 22 or 23 yo coming straight out of college. All things being equal, the 40 yo is much better prepared to take over a classroom than the 22 yo who themselves was in high school just four or five years ago. So yes, I can see states making allowances for teachers starting a second career--maybe not so much for 22 yo with no classroom experience.

What you get with a 40 year old coming out of a career is much, much different than what you get with a 22 or 23 yo coming straight out of college. All things being equal, the 40 yo is much better prepared to take over a classroom than the 22 yo who themselves was in high school just four or five years ago. So yes, I can see states making allowances for teachers starting a second career--maybe not so much for 22 yo with no classroom experience.
Yes, those are very good points. I was in my late thirties when I started teaching at a private school and in my forties when I made the jump to public school. Can't imagine trying to start out as a 22 year old.

Last week Department Chairs started and I scheduled my Special Ed kids for their classes with support. My principal said, "Ms. ____________ is brand new. Let's give her fewer of your kids (my least favorite phrase) and give them to a more seasoned teacher. When she came in for first day yesterday, I saw why. She looked like a 9th grader. She was wearing a jumper which didn't help.

I don't know . . . maybe I'm just old.

Yes, those are very good points. I was in my late thirties when I started teaching at a private school and in my forties when I made the jump to public school. Can't imagine trying to start out as a 22 year old.

Last week Department Chairs started and I scheduled my Special Ed kids for their classes with support. My principal said, "Ms. ____________ is brand new. Let's give her fewer of your kids (my least favorite phrase) and give them to a more seasoned teacher. When she came in for first day yesterday, I saw why. She looked like a 9th grader. She was wearing a jumper which didn't help.

I don't know . . . maybe I'm just old.

I felt this. Ha! I knew I was a more, um, "experienced" teacher when I started wondering when they let 12 year olds student teach!

Our school board, of which I used to be a part of, decided to try and hold onto teachers at the top end by giving an 8 percent raise this coming school year. They know it's hard getting teachers now. Numbers of applicants for openings is way way down.

Our school board, of which I used to be a part of, decided to try and hold onto teachers at the top end by giving an 8 percent raise this coming school year. They know it's hard getting teachers now. Numbers of applicants for openings is way way down.

10-15 years ago...I guess more like 15 now...there were HUNDREDS of applicants for every one job opening for elementary teachers in my (good) district. Yes, hundreds.

Now, I just looked on the job listing. School starts in two weeks and we have job openings here. I can't imagine what it's like in other districts. And special ed? Crisis levels.

It's sad. But that's our society now

You finish your coursework, and then, as part of your teacher preparation, you student teach, usually your last semester of college. Always, you are a student teacher WITH a "cooperating teacher" in the room--an actual employed teacher of some experience and standing.

Put another way: college coursework, student teaching, THEN graduate college with degree and certification.

So you can see the problem: they're going to put wholly inexperienced college students, not having student taught or graduated, maybe 21 years old, into the classroom.
The long slow descent into the cavernous yaw of intellectual oblivion

Forum List

Back