Navy plans to allow same sex marriage on bases.

i am guessing they will allow the chaplain to marry same sex couples if their Navy base is positioned in a port of a State that has same sex marriage as legal, or legal civil unions. if the sailors are residents of such state???

for example, i believe massachusetts permits same sex marriage but there is certain criteria that has to be met....for one, they have to be legal residents of the state....i believe it is for 6 months, before they can marry....according to Mass law.

yes but has the federal statute been overturned as to the def. of marriage act? These are federal installations.
hi trajan,
can you refresh my memory on what the defense of marriage act was? i mean, what did it defend and in what manner? i guess i am trying to figure out if the fed has authority to marry couples or if the chaplain is under State authority for marriages....i believe it is the State that issues marriage certification, and if i am correct, i believe that the chaplains on base have to follow the laws of the states they reside in?

hey Care...;)
if I recall chaplains are employed by the service, so their command authority is the chain of command. The property is federal prop. they are fed. employees, if there is a fed. statute ala Def. Of Marr, then I am just wondering how that would work...?

Good for them.

lol really nancy did this ? bush had nothing to do with the deficit ? the two wars at how much a week ? hand out to china , built the federal government a hell of a lot , tsa homeland security , FBI listening to our cell phone call ,

what an ass you are to try and put that on the dems .

Good for them.

teabaggers came up with the name , we just put it in context .

wow you sorry ass's cant even except responsibility for what you call your self. and we are all AMERICAN dickhead
sure they are Americans but they are selfish weenies , not All neighbor are good neighbors .
Next time you post, you might want to consider doing it at least halfway sober. And a spelling lesson may be in order.

• Thanks
Reactions: del
yes but has the federal statute been overturned as to the def. of marriage act? These are federal installations.
hi trajan,
can you refresh my memory on what the defense of marriage act was? i mean, what did it defend and in what manner? i guess i am trying to figure out if the fed has authority to marry couples or if the chaplain is under State authority for marriages....i believe it is the State that issues marriage certification, and if i am correct, i believe that the chaplains on base have to follow the laws of the states they reside in?

hey Care...;)
if I recall chaplains are employed by the service, so their command authority is the chain of command. The property is federal prop. they are fed. employees, if there is a fed. statute ala Def. Of Marr, then I am just wondering how that would work...?

Chaplin's are getting prepared for the change ,

the same crap was put out when women were allowed in combat roles , you get over it or you get out .

hi trajan,

hey Care...;)

I just reread the artical Trajan and it is as I had presumed, they have to follow LOCAL LAWS on marriage, in order to marry gays on base....in other words, the chaplain can NOT marry same sex couples in a State that does not have same sex marriage as legal....in a state such as massachusetts where same sex marriage is legal, they have to follow the State laws regarding such, as in being a resident of the state of massachusetts for 6 months, prior to being allowed to marrying anyone.

An April 13 memo from the Navy officer in charge of chaplains says they "may" officiate at same-sex marriages or civil unions, depending on both local laws and their religious organization.

hi trajan,

hey Care...;)

the same crap was put out when women were allowed in combat roles , you get over it or you get out .

Get over it or get out?

Where/when did you ever serve, dipshit?

lol really nancy did this ? bush had nothing to do with the deficit ? the two wars at how much a week ? hand out to china , built the federal government a hell of a lot , tsa homeland security , FBI listening to our cell phone call ,

what an ass you are to try and put that on the dems .
WTF?:cuckoo:

For clarification, this dumb ass is responding to Zanders sig line. :cuckoo::lol:

still dress like a catholic school girl I see

hey Care...;)

Get over it or get out?

Where/when did you ever serve, dipshit?

!73rd /503rd airborne , 1968-69

then 10th aviation blue star slick the joker gun ships 69-70.
and you ass hole ? spell checker say dip shit is two words .

Last edited:
Washington (CNN) -- A preliminary U.S. Navy plan to allow its chaplains to perform same-sex marriages in military chapels after the end of "don't ask, don't tell" has fired up congressional opposition.

All services are moving forward with the transition from the present ban on gays and lesbians serving openly in uniform. Top Pentagon officials are expected to sign off on the new rules and the progress of training in coming weeks.

An April 13 memo from the Navy officer in charge of chaplains says they "may" officiate at same-sex marriages or civil unions, depending on both local laws and their religious organization.

Navy plan to allow same-sex marriage on bases draws opposition - CNN.com

Thoughts?

God, please help us.

Washington (CNN) -- A preliminary U.S. Navy plan to allow its chaplains to perform same-sex marriages in military chapels after the end of "don't ask, don't tell" has fired up congressional opposition.

All services are moving forward with the transition from the present ban on gays and lesbians serving openly in uniform. Top Pentagon officials are expected to sign off on the new rules and the progress of training in coming weeks.

Thoughts?

God, please help us.

you can always picket military funeral say god hate soldiers , how would you feel about being a baptist ?

the Chaplains can ONLY MARRY same sex couples in the States that have legalized same sex marriage....the article states such....

why is everyone ignoring this fact?

Audie Murphy was an underage volunteer

Bill Clinton was a draft-dodger.

dick chaney dodged the draft three time , bush was AWOL more then that .Clinton admitted he never served . putts

murphy's dead .

Why not stick to the facts?

VP Cheney had 5 deferments.

President Bush was never charged with AWOL

And President Clinton is a self admitted draft dodger.

Do the facts hurt that much?

Thoughts?

Well the Marines must be stoked!!

the Chaplains can ONLY MARRY same sex couples in the States that have legalized same sex marriage....the article states such....

Kinda interesting.

What if the couple lives on base?

the only thing the state can do is tax them as single people. B/c I'm fairly certain the Navy can cover anything else.

What if they get married at sea?

Kinda interesting.

the only thing the state can do is tax them as single people. B/c I'm fairly certain the Navy can cover anything else.

And when they are transferred to a base in a different State.......

Kinda interesting.

And when they are transferred to a base in a different State.......

Yeah

The best you could hope for is 4 years at any state side port or station, after that you were transferred.

You could extend overseas for a long time. But the only people I know that got married overseas, married a local girl and followed thier rules including the basics for the Navy.

I'd imagine, for shore duty, they could bunk in the same room. I know the Navy does it's best to keep married Vets together as best as possible.

Forum List

Back