Navy plans to allow same sex marriage on bases.

I assume marriage laws in the state would apply to military bases in the state. If so, I would think same sex marriages should be allowed on the bases.

Ah, sorry Zona! Try and click on it, and I'll help you with the big words! ;)

I just tried again...no luck. You link still sucks. It stinks so bad, I dont even see it.

Oh and if they do provide same sex marriages, will they be able to claim each other as dependants.

All service guys know the different between BAH with/without dependants. It can be significant.
Zona my man, I know the internet can be serious business.

YOU CAN DO IT!

I have faith in you, try again!

And anyone that serves our country should be able to marry whomever they want, wherever they want.

But will they be able to claim a dependant in the military. You are correct, they should be able to marry who they want, but I am talking about the legality of military pay in reference to dependants.

Oh and your link still sucks. Cant find it.

I just tried again...no luck. You link still sucks. It stinks so bad, I dont even see it.

Oh and if they do provide same sex marriages, will they be able to claim each other as dependants.

All service guys know the different between BAH with/without dependants. It can be significant.

YOU CAN DO IT!

And anyone that serves our country should be able to marry whomever they want, wherever they want.

But will they be able to claim a dependant in the military. You are correct, they should be able to marry who they want, but I am talking about the legality of military pay in reference to dependants.

It's from CNN.

If this doesn't work for you, go to their website!

Navy plan to allow same-sex marriage on bases draws opposition - CNN.com

I assume marriage laws in the state would apply to military bases in the state. If so, I would think same sex marriages should be allowed on the bases.

If/when they pass that bill to allow 18 year olds to drink on base but they wont be able to drink out in town, because the law there says 21..well, I think that would prove fed and state are two very different things.

YOU CAN DO IT!

It's from CNN.

If this doesn't work for you, go to their website!

Kewl, this one worked! Thanks so much.

Now on to them being able to change their personnel records as being married or single in the military. Will they then be allowed housing? If they are E-3 and below, would they then be able to move off base from the barracks if the barracks has a certain amount empty? Will they get paid more for BAH? These are physical things that happen when you get married.

Will this marriage between the same sex just be for the ceremony in the military? That is my question. I am glad they will feel better about being with the person they love but what about the legal aspect of it in the military? If nothing changes in their records, whats the point in doing it in a miliary chapel? Whats the point in having the military involved at all if nothing changes when they go to psd.

Last edited:
Washington (CNN) -- A preliminary U.S. Navy plan to allow its chaplains to perform same-sex marriages in military chapels after the end of "don't ask, don't tell" has fired up congressional opposition.

All services are moving forward with the transition from the present ban on gays and lesbians serving openly in uniform. Top Pentagon officials are expected to sign off on the new rules and the progress of training in coming weeks.

An April 13 memo from the Navy officer in charge of chaplains says they "may" officiate at same-sex marriages or civil unions, depending on both local laws and their religious organization.

Thoughts?

You link sucks.

idiot

Zona is a a him?
Well golly. I had no clue.
Y'all with your avies make it difficult to know.

If/when they pass that bill to allow 18 year olds to drink on base but they wont be able to drink out in town, because the law there says 21..well, I think that would prove fed and state are two very different things.

can't fool you for long, huh?

link us to a copy of a federal marriage license. :lol:

i am guessing they will allow the chaplain to marry same sex couples if their Navy base is positioned in a port of a State that has same sex marriage as legal, or legal civil unions. if the sailors are residents of such state???

for example, i believe massachusetts permits same sex marriage but there is certain criteria that has to be met....for one, they have to be legal residents of the state....i believe it is for 6 months, before they can marry....according to Mass law.

yes but has the federal statute been overturned as to the def. of marriage act? These are federal installations.

i am guessing they will allow the chaplain to marry same sex couples if their Navy base is positioned in a port of a State that has same sex marriage as legal, or legal civil unions. if the sailors are residents of such state???

for example, i believe massachusetts permits same sex marriage but there is certain criteria that has to be met....for one, they have to be legal residents of the state....i believe it is for 6 months, before they can marry....according to Mass law.

yes but has the federal statute been overturned as to the def. of marriage act? These are federal installations.
hi trajan,
can you refresh my memory on what the defense of marriage act was? i mean, what did it defend and in what manner? i guess i am trying to figure out if the fed has authority to marry couples or if the chaplain is under State authority for marriages....i believe it is the State that issues marriage certification, and if i am correct, i believe that the chaplains on base have to follow the laws of the states they reside in?

Same sex yes...but enlisted and officers?

I know that used to be a no-no.

Has that policy changed?

I'll bet the Marine Corps is REAAAAAAAALLLLLY happy about this stupid shit.

As if there wasn't enough homo grab ass already going on aboard the USS Loveboats.

Get out from under Naval rule, Marine Corps.......They've lost their friggin' minds!

Washington (CNN) -- A preliminary U.S. Navy plan to allow its chaplains to perform same-sex marriages in military chapels after the end of "don't ask, don't tell" has fired up congressional opposition.

All services are moving forward with the transition from the present ban on gays and lesbians serving openly in uniform. Top Pentagon officials are expected to sign off on the new rules and the progress of training in coming weeks.

An April 13 memo from the Navy officer in charge of chaplains says they "may" officiate at same-sex marriages or civil unions, depending on both local laws and their religious organization.

Thoughts?

My Way News - Navy halts move to allow gay unions by chaplains

Thoughts?

My Way News - Navy halts move to allow gay unions by chaplains

Holy shit they have open up a whole new can of worms
The Navy said its lawyers wanted to do a more thorough review of the legal decision that allowed Navy chaplains to receive training to perform civil unions on military bases, but only in states where same-sex unions are legal.
What happens when te navy members has changed his or her duty station will their union be nulified if they are transfered to another state and cannot be housed on Base?

>

1. On base weddings, when performed by a Chaplain, are under the authority of the State as the establishing legal entity, not the federal government. For example, a couple in Virginia obtains a Virginia Marriage License. Members of the clergy under Virginia law are authorized to perform marriages and satisfy both the Civil Marriage and Religious Marriage requirements. No, the two are not the same. One is performed under authority of Civil Law and the other in compliance with the tenants of the religious organization.

2. No, because of DOMA same-sex couples who enter into a valid Civil Same-sex Marriage would not be eligible for federal recognition because of the Federal DOMA which means they would not be eligible for BAH at the dependent rate nor eligible for on-base housing and the spouse (if not military themselves) would not be eligible for exchange or medical privileges.

3. While the Civil Marriage itself is under State authority, I can see how use of Federal facilities (i.e. Chapel) could be considered a conflict with DOMA.

4. Not all weddings performed in base Chapels are performed by Chaplains. It is not uncommon for a military member to "reserve" the Chapel for the ceremony and to invite outside clergy to officiate the ceremony.

5. While the original decision left the decision of performing the ceremony up to the religious beliefs of the individual Chaplain, if the step back results in flat out denial of the ability for Chaplains to **voluntarily** perform such religious ceremonies - would that not be a violation of the Chaplains religious freedom by restricting the religious services they are allowed to perform?

6. Transferring from one state to another does not automatically "nullify" a legal Civil Marriage, no matter what the marriage laws are in the State a spouse moves to. For example there was a couple that married in another state (I think it was Vermont) and one moved to Virginia, they are still considered Civilly Married under Vermont law even though Virginia does not recognize the Civil Marriage, however the marriage was still recognized in court as there was a minor child involved and BOTH were still considered the legal parents because of the Civil Marriage even though one lived in a State where there was no Civil Marriage. IIRC there was also a case in Texas concerning divorce. Once a legal Civil Marriage is entered into, it remain a valid marriage in the eyes of the issuing State unless there is a divorce decree from another State. The problem can be for such couple is that if the new State does not recognize the Civil Marriage, they may not be willing to issue a divorce decree. Which means the couple has to go either back to the original State or to a new State that will perform the divorce.

WW
USN (Ret.)

>>>>

Last edited:

Thoughts?

cool

This thread is a bit behind. The Admiral that issued that order allowing queers to marry has reversed the decision and the Navy will not be marrying queers. Very wise decision.

Good for them.

teabaggers came up with the name , we just put it in context .

wow you sorry ass's cant even except responsibility for what you call your self. and we are all AMERICAN dickhead
sure they are Americans but they are selfish weenies , not All neighbor are good neighbors .

Forum List

Back