SEAL sleuths expose those who've faked service

Discussion in 'Military' started by High_Gravity, May 11, 2011.

1. High_Gravity

High_Gravity Belligerent Drunk Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    SEAL sleuths expose those who've faked service

[​IMG]

SEAL sleuths expose those who've faked service - Yahoo! News

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. random3434

random3434 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,194
    Just like those on message boards that say they served. :eusa_whistle:

People that lie that they were in the service do a dishonor to those that DID serve.

Despicable of ANYONE that does something like that. Shame on them. :evil:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  3. whitehall

whitehall Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,635
    Somebody should talk to the liberal 9th circut court of appeals. The "Stolen Valor Act" was signed into law by President Bush 0n 12/20/06. The law was intended to make it a federal misdemeanor to falsely represent onesself as having received a Medal or other Military award in particular the Medal of Honor.. The law was deemed unconstitutional by the liberal Ca. based 9th circut court of appeals. In effect the appeals court said it was your constitutional right to lie about Military service.

4. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,444
    That is just freaking crazy.

Anyone who lies about getting the CMH should be beat to a pulp. :evil:

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  5. Trajan

Trajan conscientia mille testes

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,756
    yup, theres a fasle identifier SF and Ranger site out there too. it always makes me wonder what folks think they will gain by assuming something like this.

For almost anyone who has served and has a finely tuned BS detector, these guys stand out like stink on shit.

6. whitehall

whitehall Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,635
    Pick up a copy of "Stolen Valor" by BG Burkett and Glenna Whitley. The book contains shocking accounts of fakes and frauds. The media loved a character who hung around the VietNam Veteran "Wall" because he looked so gosh darn authentic with his wild beard and wild eyes and medals on his denim jacket. He was photographed numerous times crying over one name or another and the caption always said "VietNam Veteran". The media never thought to check. He was a fake soldier who never served.

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  7. old navy

old navy <<< Action Figures

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    I taught Basic Hospital Corpsman Class 'A' School, Corps School we called it, in the middle 1980s. Pronounce that core and not corpse like the commander in chief pronounces it. Anyway, we had two SEAL impersonators there on the staff. One was a Nurse Corps lieutenant who claimed to be a SEAL Corpsman in Viet Nam. He wore the Navy Cross and every award subordinate to it that shows up on the awards chart. He struck an impressive presentation of military bearing. He acted crazy and did crazy things and got away with it because everyone thought that he was able to rip hearts out of chests. I was doing night clinicals at the Naval Hospital with students and found a book on Navy Cross recipients. The book stated that there were two Corpsmen in Viet Nam who were awarded the Navy Cross. When I read the names, my pulse skipped a few beats because our hero's name was not one of them. I never said anything because it was not my business. Everyone had bought in on the scam. Plus, the other SEAL at the command should call him out, right?

The other was a Master Chief. He wore so many ribbons that his Trident sat up north of his left clavicle. His story was that he was a bosun's mate SEAL (became a Corpsman later I guess) in Viet Nam. He was such a badass that he was Zumwalt's personal bodyguard whenever the admiral was in-country.

A couple of years later I went to Independent Duty Corpsman school with a SEAL who I became friends with. This led me to look up the two "SEALS" from Corps School. Sure as poop, the "nurse's" name came up as a fake. He actually was not even a nurse. Faked that too. That made me think that if he was a fake, surely the Master Chief would have outed him. So I looked up his name in one of the fake SEAL web sites and there he was. We had two fake SEALs on a staff with Corpsman who are among the most decorated military members of any branch. They got away with it because they looked the part and everyone thought that they bolstered the rep of the rest of us.

Their world came crashing down though due to the work of people like Don Shipley who is mentioned in the article. I actually deployed with Shipley to Africa in 1996. I was with the Marines and he was, well, with the SEALs. He had seven others with him on the embassy protection and sustainment mission. It was a great op with lots of action and good times had by all.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    Last edited: May 12, 2011
  8. Zander

Zander Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,851
    It's despicable. I served in the Navy. I worked with the Seal Team on Coronado for over a year when I was assigned to SBU-13 - a SEAL TEAM Unit. I was an engineer and I mainly drove a SWCL for the UDT. I was not a SEAL and would never pretend to be. I have nothing but respect for those guys.

9. slukasiewski

slukasiewski BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I spent some time at Coronondo as well. Loved that base and the location.

I remember seeing the SEALS get their work out on the beach across the street from the base. About 10 of them - jogging along the surf - with a telephone poll on their shoulders...

Amazing the shape those guys were in.

10. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617

As I recall, it was offically labeled Naval Hospital Corps College at GLAKES in the 1970.

Yeah, I was surprised by that too, since nobody typically called it that.

But that's what went on our records of service

What did you teach in Corps school?

Material Medica was the killer course went I was there.