Navy plans to allow same sex marriage on bases.

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
Washington (CNN) -- A preliminary U.S. Navy plan to allow its chaplains to perform same-sex marriages in military chapels after the end of "don't ask, don't tell" has fired up congressional opposition.

All services are moving forward with the transition from the present ban on gays and lesbians serving openly in uniform. Top Pentagon officials are expected to sign off on the new rules and the progress of training in coming weeks.

An April 13 memo from the Navy officer in charge of chaplains says they "may" officiate at same-sex marriages or civil unions, depending on both local laws and their religious organization.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/05/09/navy.same.sex.marriage/index.html?iref=obnetwork

Thoughts?

The navy?

There's a joke about seamen in there somewhere....

Keep your torpedo away from me sailor!

wwii-poster-join-navy-he-volunteered-for-sub-service.jpg

i am guessing they will allow the chaplain to marry same sex couples if their Navy base is positioned in a port of a State that has same sex marriage as legal, or legal civil unions. if the sailors are residents of such state???

for example, i believe massachusetts permits same sex marriage but there is certain criteria that has to be met....for one, they have to be legal residents of the state....i believe it is for 6 months, before they can marry....according to Mass law.

i am guessing they will allow the chaplain to marry same sex couples if their Navy base is positioned in a port of a State that has same sex marriage as legal, or legal civil unions. if the sailors are residents of such state???

for example, i believe massachusetts permits same sex marriage but there is certain criteria that has to be met....for one, they have to be legal residents of the state....i believe it is for 6 months, before they can marry....according to Mass law.

I would think that would be the case.

Expect of lot of hysterics from the usual suspects.

On base is Federal Property, Federal law rules.

is there a same sex marriage federal law that has passed that i have missed ollie?

i do not believe the federal government is involved in marriage.... the chaplain's may marry couples, but they do such under the authority of the State....at least that is what i assumed?

On base is Federal Property, Federal law rules.

is there a same sex marriage federal law that has passed that i have missed ollie?

i do not believe the federal government is involved in marriage.... the chaplain's may marry couples, but they do such under the authority of the State....at least that is what i assumed?

I don't know. I know they can perform the ceremonies. My Daughter was married in an on base chapel at Ft Bragg. I don't know if they got a state marriage certificate or what...
I'll have to ask her....

Navy plans to allow same sex marriage on bases.

Who cares??? How was the Neil Young concert? :lol: :lol:

Neil was FANTASTIC!

Now if he would have gotten married to some sailor at the same time it would have been a Double Win! :D

Washington (CNN) -- A preliminary U.S. Navy plan to allow its chaplains to perform same-sex marriages in military chapels after the end of "don't ask, don't tell" has fired up congressional opposition.

All services are moving forward with the transition from the present ban on gays and lesbians serving openly in uniform. Top Pentagon officials are expected to sign off on the new rules and the progress of training in coming weeks.

An April 13 memo from the Navy officer in charge of chaplains says they "may" officiate at same-sex marriages or civil unions, depending on both local laws and their religious organization.

Thoughts?

You link sucks.

Thoughts?

You link sucks.

Ah, sorry Zona! Try and click on it, and I'll help you with the big words! ;)

I just tried again...no luck. You link still sucks. It stinks so bad, I dont even see it.

Oh and if they do provide same sex marriages, will they be able to claim each other as dependants.

All service guys know the different between BAH with/without dependants. It can be significant.

Last edited:
You link sucks.

I just tried again...no luck. You link still sucks. It stinks so bad, I dont even see it.

Oh and if they do provide same sex marriages, will they be able to claim each other as dependants.

All service guys know the different between BAH with/without dependants. It can be significant.
Zona my man, I know the internet can be serious business.

YOU CAN DO IT!

I have faith in you, try again!

And anyone that serves our country should be able to marry whomever they want, wherever they want.

Forum List

Back