Native American Boy Pulled From Class Over Mohawk Hairstyle

Actually, he violated nothing.

If he violated nothing then why are his parents seeking an exception for his hairdo?

Exception to what? His Mohawk did not violate school policy - it only violated perceptions of others.

School administrators said his hairdo violated school policy:

"Administrators called Jakobe's parents to tell them the boy's hairstyle violated school policy and he needed to change it"

Parents whined and "offered to bring in their tribal membership cards to prove their heritage, but the school said they needed documentation from a tribal leader." They want the school to make an exception for their kid because "It is common for Seneca boys to wear a Mohawk because after years of discrimination and oppression, they are proud to share who they are".

If school policy says hairdo falls outside of it, then it does, kid must follow school rules. Wanting an exception because "discrimination!" is nonsense and should not be made.

It shouldn't be a criterion what the fuck his heritage is or isn't. That's irrelevant.
What the school's trying to do is suppress individuality. And individuality has no ethnicity.

Also, I GUARANTEE that if this had a been a Christian child removed because he wore a cross to school Lakhota would be celebrating the victory.

This :eusa_clap:

It shouldn't be a criterion what the fuck his heritage is or isn't. That's irrelevant.

I agree.

What the school's trying to do is suppress individuality. And individuality has no ethnicity.

It's school, kids are there to learn, school is not suppressing anything. They have a dress code, he violated it. Boo fucking hoo. Don't like the code? Get the school to change it.

Hey Liekhota, his "heritage" also includes lots of firewater, should the school provide him with a fifth for lunch as well? I mean Indians didn't eat too many PB&J sammies did they?

He has to follow the school's dress code/policy just like everyone else. He didn't, he violated it so he was sent home, he can return when he follows the rules.

I fail to see the problem.

If he violated nothing then why are his parents seeking an exception for his hairdo?

Exception to what? His Mohawk did not violate school policy - it only violated perceptions of others.

Did it violate rules or not? Most schools have dress codes that at a minimum proscribe anything that is disruptive. If an administrator in his or her discretion deems a haircut disruptive because of the attention it receives then there is a rules violation.

Quit trying to be the Indian Jesus Christ! Assimilate into our culture of fuck off, Kemosabe!

I actually don't think conformity is a bad thing at all to be teaching.

That figures. You're part of the problem.
When you suppress individuality you suppress humanity. And you suppress thought. And you create a race of passive robot sponges obediently awaiting orders on what to do and think.

School is NOT the place to showing you're proud of your heritage, your religion, your sexuality, or anything else. It's a place to LEARN.

-- which has zero to do with squelching self-expression. The only thing taught here is "resistance is futile; you will be assimilated".

Fuck that. People ain't robots. You go ahead and be one if you have nothing to express but you don't get to dictate that to others.

Sure , one argument could be made that allowing each group to "express themselves" is in fact teaching all kids to learn to get along with people who are different from them, But let's face it, kids are cruel and are never going to "get along" with people who are different than them, and that in itself is a lesson, learning how to go along to get along.

There's no "getting along" issue here. The kid chose a particular way to present himself; they're trying to tell him he doesn't have that right.

Again --- fuck that. This isn't the pages of 1984 or This Perfect Day.

I'm tired of seeing all these stories where people are challenging authority at every turn.

That's because you're an authoritarian.

Thread condensed into one line:

"Liberals are pissed that their stupid PC school policy was actually enforced and now they don't like it."

Mohawks are fashionable now. Whites and blacks sport them often.

Liberal PC school policies are stupid. Blame them.

That figures. You're part of the problem.
When you suppress individuality you suppress humanity. And you suppress thought. And you create a race of passive robot sponges obediently awaiting orders on what to do and think.

School is NOT the place to showing you're proud of your heritage, your religion, your sexuality, or anything else. It's a place to LEARN.

-- which has zero to do with squelching self-expression. The only thing taught here is "resistance is futile; you will be assimilated".

Fuck that. People ain't robots. You go ahead and be one if you have nothing to express but you don't get to dictate that to others.

Sure , one argument could be made that allowing each group to "express themselves" is in fact teaching all kids to learn to get along with people who are different from them, But let's face it, kids are cruel and are never going to "get along" with people who are different than them, and that in itself is a lesson, learning how to go along to get along.

There's no "getting along" issue here. The kid chose a particular way to present himself; they're trying to tell him he doesn't have that right.

Again --- fuck that. This isn't the pages of 1984 or This Perfect Day.

I'm tired of seeing all these stories where people are challenging authority at every turn.

That's because you're an authoritarian.

I certainly am an authoritarian, and proud of it. Stupid people who act like children need someone to tell them when they are being naughty.

Much like with my own kids though, behave and the government has no reason to go authoritarian on you.

Now, allow me to explain why I believe in conformity at school.

It's rather simple. I believe conformity can eliminate children being unnecessarily teased and taunted by other children.

I believe there should be a dress code that allows the poor kids to dress similar to the wealthier kids, for example.

Take this kid, he's going to get made fun of for his hair. You know how kids are.

In a similar vein, I don't like it when school make it obvious that a child is receiving reduced price or free meals, that's just one more opportunity for a child to be made fun of.

A child that is being bullied is less likely to succeed at school.

If the parents can't , or won't, make decisions that keep their child safe, then the school must.

Simple as that.

PS - That's another reason you have never and will never see me bitching about schools providing meals, yes it runs counter to "conservative values" but I don't care, children come first.

Sorry if you have a problem with that, but I'm not changing my opinion based on whether you like it or not.

I certainly am an authoritarian, and proud of it. Stupid people who act like children need someone to tell them when they are being naughty.

Much like with my own kids though, behave and the government has no reason to go authoritarian on you.

A frank confession. You believe people are basically idiots that need a government/cop/authority figure to think and act for them --- even to dress them.

At least you're honest this time. But it's a bizarre view of the world and not at all healthy.

It's rather simple. I believe conformity can eliminate children being unnecessarily teased and taunted by other children.

I believe there should be a dress code that allows the poor kids to dress similar to the wealthier kids, for example.

That's a non sequitur, because it has no such effect. That sort of taunting will happen no matter what the dress code is -- because taunting is not about how your dressed. It's about hierarchy and pecking orders. How you're dressed, what your name is, how well or poorly you're doing in class, where you live, ANYTHING can be (and is) used against the tauntee. Rigidizing everybody into a robot uniform has absolutely no ameliorative effect on that. It may in fact exacerbate the problem by creating even more of a reason for those taunters -- the insecure -- to establish themselves higher on the hierarchy.

:dig:

Take this kid, he's going to get made fun of for his hair. You know how kids are.

I do know too well, and no you don't know that at all. The kid chose this voluntarily, ergo he knows full well what to expect. The taunting is a(n extreme) form of social structuring that carries its own conformity standards, independent of the institution. Obviously the kid knows that -- if he were intimidated by that, then he wouldn't have got the haircut. So either he's taking a stand against that, or he simply doesn't care. Either way, he's got his head on straight, no pun intended, as he's resisting the cookie-cutting. Resisting the Cookie Cutter is a good thing.

And one might add, given the social homogenizing pressure that peer taunting applies, the cognate social homogenizing pressure applied by the institution only confirms to the former group that such homogenization pressure is a valid course of action, the only remaining question being who gets to apply said homogenization.

Were the school to instead teach the lesson that diverse individual expression is indeed valid, it would undermine the taunting effect. So your theory here is ass-backward.

In a similar vein, I don't like it when school make it obvious that a child is receiving reduced price or free meals, that's just one more opportunity for a child to be made fun of.

If the parents can't , or won't, make decisions that keep their child safe, then the school must.

Simple as that.

Again, you think people are idiots, which is another way of saying you think everybody but you is an idiot.
And that's informative. Methinks you should pull your head out of your own navel.

Last edited:
We can't change history, but this is yet another example of whites engaged in cultural genocide against Native Americans.
Exactly. I'm with you on this. The Army was the only time I shaved my hair off and it felt like losing a limb.

Have you ever seen "The Education of Little Tree"? White people have been trying to purge our culture for a long time.

A frank confession. You believe people are basically idiots that need a government/cop/authority figure to think and act for them --- even to dress them.

At least you're honest this time. But it's a bizarre view of the world and not at all healthy.

That's a non sequitur, because it has no such effect. That sort of taunting will happen no matter what the dress code is -- because taunting is not about how your dressed. It's about hierarchy and pecking orders. How you're dressed, what your name is, how well or poorly you're doing in class, where you live, ANYTHING can be (and is) used against the tauntee. Rigidizing everybody into a robot uniform has absolutely no ameliorative effect on that. It may in fact exacerbate the problem by creating even more of a reason for those taunters -- the insecure -- to establish themselves higher on the hierarchy.

I do know too well, and no you don't know that at all. The kid chose this voluntarily, ergo he knows full well what to expect. The taunting is a(n extreme) form of social structuring that carries its own conformity standards, independent of the institution. Obviously the kid knows that -- if he were intimidated by that, then he wouldn't have got the haircut. So either he's taking a stand against that, or he simply doesn't care. Either way, he's got his head on straight, no pun intended, as he's resisting the cookie-cutting. Resisting the Cookie Cutter is a good thing.

Simple as that.

Again, you think people are idiots, which is another way of saying you think everybody but you is an idiot.
And that's informative.

Agreed, in general I think the average American is an idiot.

For example, ONLY a bizarre moron would think "OMG my kid was suspended from school, call the news station" and only another fucking retard would say "damn right, this is an important story"

Well you know how the church of LGBT would recommend dealing with the mohawk boy... He either bucks up and shaves off his mohawk and plays by school rules or he can do some time sitting in juvenile hall. Longstanding faith and practices, according to them, are checked at the door when a person becomes part of a publicly funded system.

If it's a public school and its local bylaws say "no mohawks", then the boy can't wear a mohawk.

"Administrators called Jakobe's parents to tell them the boy's hairstyle violated school policy and he needed to change it"

Parents whined and "offered to bring in their tribal membership cards to prove their heritage, but the school said they needed documentation from a tribal leader." They want the school to make an exception for their kid because "It is common for Seneca boys to wear a Mohawk because after years of discrimination and oppression, they are proud to share who they are".

If school policy says hairdo falls outside of it, then it does, kid must follow school rules. Wanting an exception because "discrimination!" is nonsense and should not be made.

Hey injuns, your heritage also does not include public school, so homeschool your child if you don't want to follow school policy.

Also, I GUARANTEE that if this had a been a Christian child removed because he wore a cross to school Lakhota would be celebrating the victory.
My kids aren't in public school. And the Catholic school they attend has no problem with the fact that American Indians grow long hair.

It's called respect. Get some.

Hey injuns, your heritage also does not include public school, so homeschool your child if you don't want to follow school policy.

My kids aren't in public school. And the Catholic school they attend has no problem with the fact that American Indians grow long hair.

It's called respect. Get some.

who cares?

Your catholic private school is free to do whatever they want.

Simple as that.

And that's informative.

Agreed, in general I think the average American is an idiot.

For example, ONLY a bizarre moron would think "OMG my kid was suspended from school, call the news station" and only another fucking retard would say "damn right, this is an important story"

It IS an important story. To the extent it tells us what's going on in the way of institutionalized Borgian assimilation techniques, damn right it is.

Wasn't that long ago this kid would have been punished, even corporally, for speaking Navajo or Polish or Cajun French. We thought we got past that, now we're backsliding.

This desire of yours to steamroll everybody's character into the approved model probably belongs on a psychiatrist's couch. Doesn't belong in a public institution that kids are forced to attend.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back