My pup is hurting :(

I haven't tried the chicken yet - but if he doesn't perk up I will. I used to put pills in hotdogs or cheese and have a few "blanks" to get him to do some tricks and then eat it fast so he wouldn't realize what was in it - but one time, he bit into it and it must have been bitter - ever since then, forget it - a whiff of pill and he spits the whole thing out. Even sibling rivalry hasn't worked! I might look around for some fresh treat ideas though and see if I can give it another try.

Thanks Syrenn :)
smart devils..... hes on to you.

if you decide to make your own chicken... do a bunch of it at one time. Otherwise you will be making chicken every day. I get them as a whole two packs at costco. The advantage of poaching over roasting is that they like the broth as well..... I also prefer the whole chicken becasue it comes with liver... and they like sauteed liver :)

any time hun, i am sorry your four legged baby is not feeling well.

That's a good idea Syrenn - I might pick up some babyfood. Part of the problem is the number of pills he currently takes - the stick them in treats trick no longer works so either I pill him or grind them up in a bit of canned cat food (which I ran out of). He takes an antibiotic and stool softener, and a muscle relaxant - those I have to give him whole. Then he gets tramadol and Rimadyl ground up. I used canned dog food this time and maybe he could taste the pills or it just didn't appeal to him. He did eat the steak strips I gave him after each pill however.

My dog needs pills twice per day. Sometimes she misses them in her food and will not eat alone. I take a little peanut butter and put the the peanut butter. She is a happy pup.

Also, I have been known to make cheese omelets, beef stew, Fried rice(sesame seed oil), grilled chicken and such for my ailing pups. They seem to get sick quite often...:eusa_whistle:

Good luck Coyote!!!

Looks a little like a Bernese Mountain Dog minus some white.

Had a cherished Rottweiler with hip dysplasia back in the middle 90's, so I can relate. It's tough to see them suffer.

Best of luck.

American cheese in the plastic wrapper.... you can wrap and mold it around a pill and they usually take it whole thinking it a treat. Have the pill all ready.. and then you eat a slice in front of him... ask him like you would with any treat... "want some...really would you like some....mmmm" then give him his pill treat... A change of the "treat" and seeing you eat some of it first may work. Its worth a try at least.

Ha Ha! The old sliced process cheese trick! I do that with Moki. I give him a small slice with nothing in it. Then I give him another small slice. YUM! Then the third slice (I cut the slice in 4 sections), I insert the pill. He is so worried I'm gonna eat it or Karma will get it, he doesn't even chew. He just swallows it whole. Fourth slice...has nothing in it and he is one happy camper.
But the trick is to let him SEE all four slices so he knows only ONE is left...better eat the third one FAST so he can have the 4th as well!

Works every time. :lol:

He's doing MUCH better this morning - he's not lying there whimpering, he looks and acts more comfortable and he can get his knees bent and under him and get his back end up without my help as long as he has a good surface. One of my worries has been that going under for surgery is risky for dogs with neurological problems but he doesn't seem to have lost too much. He even pottied without help - yay :) He's weak but he's walking, and his appetite is back to normal!

I should add - surgery for a dog his age is often a hard decision, but he's a dog that still has an incredible zest for life, who still wants to do things - he is definantly not ready to give up :)

He's doing MUCH better this morning - he's not lying there whimpering, he looks and acts more comfortable and he can get his knees bent and under him and get his back end up without my help as long as he has a good surface. One of my worries has been that going under for surgery is risky for dogs with neurological problems but he doesn't seem to have lost too much. He even pottied without help - yay :) He's weak but he's walking, and his appetite is back to normal!

I should add - surgery for a dog his age is often a hard decision, but he's a dog that still has an incredible zest for life, who still wants to do things - he is definantly not ready to give up :)

yay!!!

i am so glad he is more comfortable. Did he eat something for you?

I brought him back home today from surgery to repair a perianal hernia and he is so sore, he's whimpering, I feel so bad for him :( He has a lot of muscle atrophy in the back end due to his spinal issue, and the surgery was hard on him. Poor Cowboy :( I gave him a tramadol, hopefully, that will help.

He is beautiful, Coyote. I will be pray for him to heal well and you also! It is very difficult to watch our beloved pets suffer! I'm believing for a quick recovery! Love, Jeri

yay!!!

Yes, his appetite seems back to normal! :)

yay!!!

Yes, his appetite seems back to normal! :)
:eusa_pray:

now that is a good sign. i am so glad he is feeling better.

Arghh - today he wouldn't eat much and threw up. I'm pretty sure it's the combined effects of the meds (nausea is a side effect of all of them) so Syrenn - I'm picking up rice after work and we'll do chicken and rice and see how that goes. I can also remove several of the meds for a bit (the critical one to stay on is the antibiotic but some of the others are as-needed).

Arghh - today he wouldn't eat much and threw up. I'm pretty sure it's the combined effects of the meds (nausea is a side effect of all of them) so Syrenn - I'm picking up rice after work and we'll do chicken and rice and see how that goes. I can also remove several of the meds for a bit (the critical one to stay on is the antibiotic but some of the others are as-needed).

Call the vet and ask if you can decrease the amount of pain med... and if you can pick and anti nausea med. I would suggest an injectable nausea med....one less thing to throw up.

drastic changes in the diet can also upset the stomach. A nice chicken and rice doggie casserole would do fine.... Use a bit more water so the rice comes out a bit mushy.....

hang in there coyote.

I brought him back home today from surgery to repair a perianal hernia and he is so sore, he's whimpering, I feel so bad for him :( He has a lot of muscle atrophy in the back end due to his spinal issue, and the surgery was hard on him. Poor Cowboy :( I gave him a tramadol, hopefully, that will help.

It.will likely get better when he can run and stuff. Hope he gets.out of that soon.

It.will likely get better when he can run and stuff. Hope he gets.out of that soon.

He'll likely need the wheels for the rest of his life - he can walk short distances, around the house and yard, but anything more and he needs help. He has spondylosis in his back and it's caused nerve damage - but he loves his wheels! :)

Forum List

Back