My pup is hurting :(

Coyote

Varmint
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Apr 17, 2009
Canis Latrans
I brought him back home today from surgery to repair a perianal hernia and he is so sore, he's whimpering, I feel so bad for him :( He has a lot of muscle atrophy in the back end due to his spinal issue, and the surgery was hard on him. Poor Cowboy :( I gave him a tramadol, hopefully, that will help.

Wow. How old is he?
Are his back paws off the ground while using that thing?

He'll be 13 in February, and he can still use his back feet - he can walk but not for long distances and sometimes he places his feet wrong (walks on the tops of them) - he has spinal cord damage due to stenosis and spondylosis - he just didn't need this latest problem.

Poor guy. Our pup is 13 and luckily he's never had an issue with his health.

This is from last year...

dog-1.jpg

(((hugs)))

poor thing.... i am so sorry he is in pain. If the drug is not helping...ask if they can give him a low dose fentanyl patch.....

I think the tramadol is helping - he's sleeping quietly now :) I hate that will have to wake him up to get him outside before bedtime though. His left leg is especially weak, I think the anisthesia exacerbates the neurological issues. But he's not whimpering now.

(((hugs)))

poor thing.... i am so sorry he is in pain. If the drug is not helping...ask if they can give him a low dose fentanyl patch.....

You can use those on dogs? I've got some unopened patches from 3 years ago that doc gave me when I cracked ribs. I made the mistake of reading "the fine print" and decided to just put up with the pain LOL.

I think the tramadol is helping - he's sleeping quietly now :) I hate that will have to wake him up to get him outside before bedtime though. His left leg is especially weak, I think the anisthesia exacerbates the neurological issues. But he's not whimpering now.

Poor sweetie. Send gentle hugs from me, please.

:huddle:

i know....i know so well how you are feeling. I am so so sorry.

(((hugs)))

You can use those on dogs? I've got some unopened patches from 3 years ago that doc gave me when I cracked ribs. I made the mistake of reading "the fine print" and decided to just put up with the pain LOL.

i would not put a human dose patch on a dog.... but yes, they make smaller veterinary patches of fentanyl.

((Hugs)) to both you and your pup. Hope he feels better soon. Tramadol is a good drug for dogs. I had a dog that had to be on that for awhile and it helped.

I brought him back home today from surgery to repair a perianal hernia and he is so sore, he's whimpering, I feel so bad for him :( He has a lot of muscle atrophy in the back end due to his spinal issue, and the surgery was hard on him. Poor Cowboy :( I gave him a tramadol, hopefully, that will help.

He might be in pain, but he has a smile on his face. :) What a gorgeous pooch you have!

Oh wow. I am so sorry, hon. I will send some prayers tonight that he will feel much better soon. Poor guy. :(

This morning he is walking a little better, but not eating so well - and very quiet. I'll see how is after work and pick up some treats for him :)

This morning he is walking a little better, but not eating so well - and very quiet. I'll see how is after work and pick up some treats for him :)
:(

poor baby. I feel for both of you.

The vet has AD..a highly palatable food that is good to temp them back into eating. Also, Gerber meat baby food is like crack!

That's a good idea Syrenn - I might pick up some babyfood. Part of the problem is the number of pills he currently takes - the stick them in treats trick no longer works so either I pill him or grind them up in a bit of canned cat food (which I ran out of). He takes an antibiotic and stool softener, and a muscle relaxant - those I have to give him whole. Then he gets tramadol and Rimadyl ground up. I used canned dog food this time and maybe he could taste the pills or it just didn't appeal to him. He did eat the steak strips I gave him after each pill however.

I am so sorry to read about his problems. Poor guy. What you are doing is all you can do; give him all the love and attention you can, follow the vet's instructions, take good care of him. :smiliehug:

Last edited:
That's a good idea Syrenn - I might pick up some babyfood. Part of the problem is the number of pills he currently takes - the stick them in treats trick no longer works so either I pill him or grind them up in a bit of canned cat food (which I ran out of). He takes an antibiotic and stool softener, and a muscle relaxant - those I have to give him whole. Then he gets tramadol and Rimadyl ground up. I used canned dog food this time and maybe he could taste the pills or it just didn't appeal to him. He did eat the steak strips I gave him after each pill however.

See if you can get any of those drugs as shots. You will need to learn how to give a shot, but i think it goes in easier and is less traumatic.

American cheese in the plastic wrapper.... you can wrap and mold it around a pill and they usually take it whole thinking it a treat. Have the pill all ready.. and then you eat a slice in front of him... ask him like you would with any treat... "want some...really would you like some....mmmm" then give him his pill treat... A change of the "treat" and seeing you eat some of it first may work. Its worth a try at least.

Have you tried poaching or roasting chicken for him?

Also.... i KNOW its bad for them... but they love it. If he is not on any specific diet..... :eek::eek: ... Kentucky fired chicken.

hang in there...i know its horrible feeling so helpless.

I haven't tried the chicken yet - but if he doesn't perk up I will. I used to put pills in hotdogs or cheese and have a few "blanks" to get him to do some tricks and then eat it fast so he wouldn't realize what was in it - but one time, he bit into it and it must have been bitter - ever since then, forget it - a whiff of pill and he spits the whole thing out. Even sibling rivalry hasn't worked! I might look around for some fresh treat ideas though and see if I can give it another try.

Thanks Syrenn :)

Forum List

Back