My dream home, built myself in the country - someday.

Mad_Cabbie

Gold Member
Nov 2, 2013
العراق
I am first going to purchase about 40 - 50 acres in the state of either Arkansas, Tennessee or Kentucky. Looking for something can put 4 or 5 fish ponds on.

I will pour the concrete slab myself, but this home will not have a septic system - I'll get to that latter.

The main frame of the house will be about four old shipping containers. Doing this to save money and I like the idea of using steel instead of termite food.

Here is what they look like when you buy them.

20-DryGP-B1.jpg

Here is what I hope that it looks when I'm finished.

gal_housesub.jpg

Or:

RedondoBeachHouse.jpg

The-Lille-Red-Shipping-Container-House-Lille-France-1.jpg

Colorful-Box-Office-Constructed-from-12-Shipping-Containers-in-Rhode-Island-2.jpg

shippingcontainerhome.jpg

This style of housing gives you a lot of flexibility to be creative and to build your home to suit your lifestyle.

http://www.mnn.com/your-home/remode...hing-shipping-container-homes/container-house

Since I'm kind of handy with home improvements, I will probably do the plumbing and electrical myself. I'll pour the slab as well and gladly pay someone else to do the drywall, which I seem to lack the talent for.

For the bathroom, I'm big on tile and I prefer a sink made from an old dresser or some other interesting antique piece.

06f83aeaf0b4532f5af47ca03c0c1908.jpg

antique+dresser+as+bath+vanity.jpg

I've done a few of these and I really like them.

Composting toilet:
biolet-composting-toilet.png

Shower - no bath. I hate taking baths.

shower1.jpg

281565101_d1bb955b45cb.jpg

I like the overhead spray that comes down like rain.

For the kitchen, I plain on making excessive use of stainless steal.

stainless_steel_kitchen.jpg

As I mentioned before, this home will use composting toilets, so there is no need for a septic system - only french drains.

Water will be well and rain barrels.

Well will be dug myself using a converted post-digger.

They make a lot of different kinds, you get the picture though.

Going to use a geothermal heat and air system.

geothermal_dia3.gif

This uses the ambient temperature of the earth to heat or cool your house.

I'm a cheap bastard and I am not going to pay a lot of money for my solar panels. I will buy broken ones from the highway sign people for a fraction of what the cost and repair them myself.

Yup - these things - they have a solar panel and they get damaged and need to be replaced.

system-slider-workzone.jpg

A little work turns them into this -

stacks_image_764.jpg

The property will have several fish ponds that I will dig myself with what they call a terramite backhoe - easier and cheaper.

33096d1107357777-digging-farm-pond-need-advice-577293-picture-901.jpg

Dam will be a stone-earth combination.

the-pond-main-house.jpg

Fish will be northern snakehead, yellow perch, flat-head catfish, hybrid bream, and freshwater gar.

Outside shed will be made of stone.

camdo2.jpg

I love stone - lots of stone walls and stones lying around.

NoviaUAS_StoneWa_JH201204.jpg

I would also like to build an outdoor place of worship with a fire circle, primitive camping and a roofless church.

AutumnFires.jpg

article-2067945-0EFEC84600000578-1000_468x349.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting idea! I like the second house the most. Also, you have great taste for the shower, the overhead spray would be perfect. I hope you are now enjoying your dream house!

you should make it a earth home

with a heat pump and south western glass

my father in law built his years before it was "cool" or "green"

more like "cheapskate"

--LOL

maybe but he sold it off this year for a butt load of cashola

--LOL

Forum List

Back