Do you make stuff and sell it online?

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
Like, paintings or wooden toys or windchimes or jewelry? If so, what do you make and where do you sell it? On your own website, ebay, amazon, other?

In answer to my own question........

I used to do jewelry, similar to this (ebay):

209634fdd0adc3c41461920feabd0a63.jpg

I also did rock art, similar to this:

afeed0db1ccc9367d976c517453d597a.jpg

That is a cool necklace.

I don't. In fact, there is not one artistic bone in my body. I have checked multiple times. I appreciate it though and there are always birthdays and stuff.

Ways to Sell Art Online
ArtPal – Popular free gallery to sell art and buy art. Sell your paintings, photography, sculptures, jewelry, crafts, original art, prints, and much more. They also have a free Print-on-Demand service. Free membership, easy-to-use website, and many features to sell your art.*
Etsy – a community of artists who make hand crafted pieces. See our post on How to Sell Your Art on Etsy.
Adwords – Google’s advertising program. If you have a website where you sell your work, Adwords is a highly effective way of targeting those looking for art to buy. If you’d like some tips on how to use Adwords, please contact me directly.
Ebay – the world’s largest auction site. Follow @ebayart on Twitter to get an idea of what kind of art does well on ebay.
Amazon – the single largest directory of online stores, Amazon turned itself into one of the world’s largest retailers by creating a platform for anyone to sell anything. There are literally thousands of stores that use Amazon as their main source of sales. If you make handmade jewelry, Amazon has a section just for you on their front page.
Imagekind.com – high quality printing & framing, community, and marketing tips. See Imagekind Power Selling Tips.
Cafepress.com – for designing shirts, other screen printed things
Craigslist – in certain cities, people use Craigslist for everything. In Portland, I have seen everything from couches, to cars, to beautiful pieces of art for sale. Think of it as the world’s largest classified ad.
Artfire.com – a little bit like Etsy, but with a different focus. ArtFire’s Community Directed Development asks their artists to tell them what kind of features and products to build.
DailyOriginal.com – feature one piece of art each day on the site.
EmptyEasel.com – the most comprehensive guide to selling paintings on the internet.
Art.com – One of the largest sites for selling art online.
FineArtAmerica.com – sell prints at any price you want to set
Foliotwist.com – ready made art websites w/Paypal shopping cart built in
Yessy.com – One of the oldest, most popular sites for selling art online.
(BONUS) One on One Business Coaching for Artists – if you are very serious about your work and have the money to hire a professional.

15 ways to sell art online ? The Abundant Artist

I think Luddly what's-his-name has a similar thread.
Wife tried Etsy with no success.
She does ok at art fairs and the like.
Beaded bracelets, waxed linen baskets, painted ceramic tiles, loads of knitting and crochet stuff.

Etsy didn't do anything for me either.
Ebay has been my gold mine..but that was years ago. Now, they are more persnickety on what they want. Antiques, gold, silver. Other than that? No dice. So I only sell the three things I just mentioned.

I make and sell items for Geek Conventions like MegaCon, ComiCon, Spooky Empire, and the like. Zombie stuff, Steampunk jewelry and clothing items, etc. I often offer them online as well, mostly with eBay. But my main focus is on conventions.

I'll see if I can post some pictures.

I once attempted to gauge the stupidity and gullibility of consumers with an offering of "Old Vermont Firespoons". A product designed to save labor for those who regularly leave wooden spoons on gas stovetops. A "strike anywhere" version with a cutsey genuine fake parchment legend about their origin.

Never in my wildest dreams did I expect to sell more than two sets.

I had to drop the promotion when Walmart ran out of wooden spoons and one of the two colours of blue paint.

St. Phineas had it nailed!

I once attempted to gauge the stupidity and gullibility of consumers with an offering of "Old Vermont Firespoons". A product designed to save labor for those who regularly leave wooden spoons on gas stovetops. A "strike anywhere" version with a cutsey genuine fake parchment legend about their origin.

Never in my wildest dreams did I expect to sell more than two sets.

I had to drop the promotion when Walmart ran out of wooden spoons and one of the two colours of blue paint.

St. Phineas had it nailed!

Back in yon olden days, you could find really strange ads in the backs of magazines - things like Solar Dryer for sale that was a length of cord and a bunch of clothespins and A Better Mouse Trap which was two hand-size pieces of 2x4. I think the Postmaster General put a stop to that.

I sell books on Amazon and antiques and other stuff on ebay and do very well. I also sell my artwork, including jewelry, but not on line. I do better in high end shops and we can deduct some of the cost of traveling because I visit the shops where I sell. I used to sell at crafts fairs in Tucson but there are pluses and minuses to that. A plus is that you can charge retail and keep it all. A minus is schlepping your wares all over the place and hearing people saying they could that themselves (well then, go home and do it) or, the worst, actually photographing my work. I decided my time was better spent producing and for me, it makes sense to have several lines going at once.

IMO, its wasteful to sell original artwork. You can make more a lot more selling prints, cards, posters, that sort of thing. You do the work once and can sell it over and over.

As a lark, I listed a CD on eBay. It was actually that clear blank plastic disk that sits on top of the bulk-pack stack.

So I uploaded a picture of it and titled it "Marcel Marceau Live". :lol:

"Hear him as you've never not heard him before".

It was fucking hilarious.

I sell books on Amazon and antiques and other stuff on ebay and do very well.

I've got at least a hundred books that have been sitting in boxes since dear ol' mum passed away in ought-88. Biographies, autobiographies, some Time and Life series collections and other titles.

So how do you decide at what price to list the books with Amazon?

I've got at least a hundred books that have been sitting in boxes since dear ol' mum passed away in ought-88. Biographies, autobiographies, some Time and Life series collections and other titles.

Simple web searches by author and, separately, by title. Gives a pretty good picture of what's available, what's scarce and the going prices. The name "Abe Books" comes back to mind from several years ago but I may have that spelled incorrectly. Still, it might be a starting point.

Simple web searches by author and, separately, by title. Gives a pretty good picture of what's available, what's scarce and the going prices. The name "Abe Books" comes back to mind from several years ago but I may have that spelled incorrectly. Still, it might be a starting point.

Thanks. I didn't really count on Luddly answering me any way.

I used to go to bibliofind.com to find out about rare books but I think Amazon bought them out cuz it takes you straight to Amazon. BUT, it also shows price ranges of others who have the same book for sale. Just type in Bibliofind.com and it will take you there
[MENTION=20545]Mr. H.[/MENTION]

I used to go to bibliofind.com to find out about rare books but I think Amazon bought them out cuz it takes you straight to Amazon. BUT, it also shows price ranges of others who have the same book for sale. Just type in Bibliofind.com and it will take you there
[MENTION=20545]Mr. H.[/MENTION]

Thanks. BTW, there are three pages of books with the word "poop" in the title.

Um. Ok? lol

Been awhile since I have sold old books. And I sold on Amazon only a few times, long ago. Been selling on ebay since 1998 but now I just sell gold, silver and antiques.

Look it up on Ebay and see what others are selling it for. You can also find out how and what price they are shipping it for. Shipping is something you should pick up and you need to find the cheapest way.

I haven't tried Amazon selling but it seems interesting. I never made too much on Ebay anyway, I just don't know how to do it right. I've sold some clothing that I never wore, handbags, hats, stuff like that but you really have to learn to price them well or ebay customers will take you to the cleaners.

Mr. H., I also used to sell on Yahoo when they had auctions. Did pretty good but nothing to brag about. I tried just about every online auction site that existed and stuck with ebay because no matter how cheap other sites were....the BUYERS are at ebay. Plain and simple, that is where they go to buy. Amazon too, but ebay did best for me.

I think my greatest sell was the 1950's tin haunted house toy I got at a yard sale for a buck. I figured I could get maybe 30 bucks out of it. I was stunned to see it sold for over 700 bucks. :eek:

Forum List

Back