My Childhood Brainwashing

Cammmpbell

Sep 13, 2011
It started from my parents and grandparents when I was two...My grandmother telling me "OL' Scratch Will Get You."...my first recollections.

In grammar school I was required to memorize bible verses and pray. Wednesday night prayer meetings in Baptist or primitive Baptist churches. Prayers before every public event.

Add to that nearly forty years in the church until I finally gave up about 15 years ago and knew I wouldn't believe all that BS if I live to 100. 'Course that ain't that far away.

I took a powder from formal religion the day after I was confirmed. I was 13.

For a brief while I subscribed to atheism, but not believing takes as much FAITH as being a believer, so I've mellowed into some kind of believer of SOMETHING.

That change happened to me mostly because of SCIENCE, incidently. not because of any spirital awakening

The more I read about advanced physics and chaos theory, the more convinced I am that there's something we can't even begin to understand behind the curtain of "reality".

My personal religion has no cosmological answers, no theories about after life, no vision of an anthropomophized GOD, either.

In fact, I am not even sure that my religion has a GOD, as most of us think of GOD --that is to say a personality with absolute power over the cosmos..

My moral and ethical value system is still basically the same as it was when I was a strict Lutheran.

But that was an easy transition since my liberal Lutheran values are pretty much the same as most secular humanists.

I believed there was a Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy, and Easter Bunny for years.

Such ABUSE I suffered as a result of this horrible brainwashing!!!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

It started from my parents and grandparents when I was two...My grandmother telling me "OL' Scratch Will Get You."...my first recollections.

In grammar school I was required to memorize bible verses and pray. Wednesday night prayer meetings in Baptist or primitive Baptist churches. Prayers before every public event.

Add to that nearly forty years in the church until I finally gave up about 15 years ago and knew I wouldn't believe all that BS if I live to 100. 'Course that ain't that far away.

I don't know... perhaps in believing in something... and living one's life by the strict moral codes in which proves such a belief gives life to it and makes it reality... but I've had too much evidence on the outside of myself and on the other side of time for me to think of anything religious, spiritual, or other as BS.

I cannot say I envy you... to not have faith is something I could not imagine nor would I want to even try.

If you don't mind... would you share with us what you would have rather been taught? Or, do you think that giving children direction is bad, all together? Do you think yourself cheated or something to have had such a start given to you in life?

I remember sitting in JR. High when the alarm would sound and the teacher would tell the sheep to go out in the hall and hide under a concrete shelf, simulation what to do when a nuke lands. I explained to the dumb **** in these very words.
"Woman, if a fucking nuclear bomb goes off we're dead meat anyway. I'm not going out there" Suspended yet again.

Either you believe or you don't.

I remember sitting there in Cathechism (I must have been around 7) and saying to myself "yeah, right, what a bunch of baloney".

But to satisfy Mom, I went as far as my Confirmation and that was the end of it for me.

For a brief while I subscribed to atheism, but not believing takes as much FAITH as being a believer, so I've mellowed into some kind of believer of SOMETHING.

That change happened to me mostly because of SCIENCE, incidently. not because of any spirital awakening

The more I read about advanced physics and chaos theory, the more convinced I am that there's something we can't even begin to understand behind the curtain of "reality".

My personal religion has no cosmological answers, no theories about after life, no vision of an anthropomophized GOD, either.

In fact, I am not even sure that my religion has a GOD, as most of us think of GOD --that is to say a personality with absolute power over the cosmos..

My moral and ethical value system is still basically the same as it was when I was a strict Lutheran.

But that was an easy transition since my liberal Lutheran values are pretty much the same as most secular humanists.

Yeah...they didn't need but one commandment, "Do Unto Others As You Would Have Them Do Unto You"

The rest of that primitive, made up bullshit is..........well, BULLSHIT

poor fella, must be in your mid to late 20's or a late editon to the poor me train.

So abusive your childhood. So traumatic. I just can't stand another story of such abuse.

So since you figured it all out, tell me.

Last edited:
I can still remember to this day the moment I realized that God existed.

Nothing has changed since then.

I remember sitting in JR. High when the alarm would sound and the teacher would tell the sheep to go out in the hall and hide under a concrete shelf, simulation what to do when a nuke lands. I explained to the dumb **** in these very words.
"Woman, if a fucking nuclear bomb goes off we're dead meat anyway. I'm not going out there" Suspended yet again.
Stupid always sticks foot in mouth and gets in trouble. Telling everyone how stupid you are doesn't prove anything.

Yeah...they didn't need but one commandment, "Do Unto Others As You Would Have Them Do Unto You"

The rest of that primitive, made up bullshit is..........well, BULLSHIT
You are so full of it you do not know what you are talking about.

Really, now, you guys posting aren't giving cammmpbell a fair time of expression. S/he deserves to be able to rant and have a say... s/he may not have ever been able to do so within the environment described.

I would wonder what his/her thoughts are... and though I came from a struggle to get to church and to stay faithful in fellowship usually meant I had to go alone... I didn't have parents that prayed but instead I was surrounded by heavy superstitions and mental disabilities.

I had always admired those who had the kind of support systems that offered a variety of people and fellowship that was secure and unwaivering. Perhaps there are things about such atmospheres that are not ideal and perhaps many who have those things have valid reasons to not appreciate them at the levels I think I would.

:dunno: It seems the years I had my family in the fellowship of believers I had gained much higher hopes and, indeed, higher expectations of us as a whole. Those expectations I had gained... as we fell away from consistent fellowship and faithfully serving in the church came to be my burden alone. It can be devastating when no one else seems to share the visionry 'we' gain...

I don't envy the preachers/pastors/fathers of fellowship their positions, for sure. :dunno:

Poor thing...see a therapist and quit whining like a bitch.

------------------------
hahaha-024.gif

Forum List

Back