My Brisket is stalled out a 183.

Dammit!!
Now you have me wanting to smoke a brisket!
It's addicting.

Ain't that the truth!
For me it's half challenge and half wanting a nice brisket sandwich.
When you get the flat and the point to come out right you know you nailed it.
The kids nowadays have no idea how easy they have it. I first started BBQing 35 years ago when there was no internet to help you along.
We had to find an old timer willing to show you the ropes. That and destroy a shitload of briskets,it was truly trial and error.
I know. We do have it better, but it is still quite a challenge. That's what we all really like about smoking briskets. You're taking an unusable cut of meat and making it into a mouth-watering, succulent thing of beauty.

I experimented with different woods, and found at a 3:1 pecan/hickory mix tastes the best.

My fire started to get really cold about 10 minutes ago, so I broke out the shop fan and got it back up to welding temp.
:laughing0301:

Should be good now.

What are you cooking it on?
I load my reverse flow Lang up with my log of choice usually red or white oak with 8 or 9 splits and let it burn down till I have a nice bed of coals and the temp evens out.
After that it's just a matter of tossing in a split or or two every couple hours to maintain the coal bed.

Dammit!!
It's addicting.

Ain't that the truth!
The kids nowadays have no idea how easy they have it. I first started BBQing 35 years ago when there was no internet to help you along.
We had to find an old timer willing to show you the ropes. That and destroy a shitload of briskets,it was truly trial and error.
I know. We do have it better, but it is still quite a challenge. That's what we all really like about smoking briskets. You're taking an unusable cut of meat and making it into a mouth-watering, succulent thing of beauty.

I experimented with different woods, and found at a 3:1 pecan/hickory mix tastes the best.
My teeth are too far gone for Mr. Brisket.

My fire started to get really cold about 10 minutes ago, so I broke out the shop fan and got it back up to welding temp.

Should be good now.

I load my reverse flow Lang up with my log of choice usually red or white oak with 8 or 9 splits and let it burn down till I have a nice bed of coals and the temp evens out.
After that it's just a matter of tossing in a split or or two every couple hours to maintain the coal bed.
Oklahoma Joe's offset. Wife just got if for me, so it's my first brisket on this new one.

You've got better equipment than I do. I need to use straight firewood, and skip the charcoal.

Dammit!!
It's addicting.

Ain't that the truth!

I always use oak with maybe a few splits of pecan to sweeten it up a bit.
Rub it with 50/50 salt and pepper and a little garlic powder. And spray it down with some apple cider mixed with coke every once in a while.

Dammit!!
It's addicting.

Ain't that the truth!

Not if it's good brisket!!!
Ya dont need no teef to eat my beef!!!! As they say.

Dammit!!
It's addicting.

Ain't that the truth!

Rub it with 50/50 salt and pepper and a little garlic powder. And spray it down with some apple cider mixed with coke every once in a while.
I never thought of using a mix of coke with the vinegar. I just used 50/50 water. That's a good idea for next time (tomorrow :auiqs.jpg:).

Dammit!!
It's addicting.

Ain't that the truth!

All I want for Christmas is two new front teeth.

Should be good now.

Oklahoma Joe's offset. Wife just got if for me, so it's my first brisket on this new one.

You've got better equipment than I do. I need to use straight firewood, and skip the charcoal.

The only thing I use charcoal for is too light the fire.
The Oklahoma Joe is a decent pit. Far better than some of the crap thats out there.
Put some fire bricks in the fire box and in the smoking chamber. It makes it way easier to keep your temps even.
I do that with all my smokers.
Get the thinner ones. They'll be 1 inch to 1.5 inches thick.
You can get em at most stores like Home Depot or online and they're cheap. You shouldn't need more than 9 or 10 of them.
1625873207732.png

Dammit!!
It's addicting.

Ain't that the truth!

I never thought of using a mix of coke with the vinegar. I just used 50/50 water. That's a good idea for next time (tomorrow :auiqs.jpg:).

Not vinegar, Apple Cider.
Apple juice will also work fine.
If you can get Martinelli's use that.
1625873549701.png

Should be good now.

The only thing I use charcoal for is too light the fire.
The Oklahoma Joe is a decent pit. Far better than some of the crap thats out there.
Put some fire bricks in the fire box and in the smoking chamber. It makes it way easier to keep your temps even.
I do that with all my smokers.
Get the thinner ones. They'll be 1 inch to 1.5 inches thick.
You can get em at most stores like Home Depot or online and they're cheap. You shouldn't need more than 9 or 10 of them.
View attachment 510827
How do I arrange them in the fire box?

_rSsEHkXc9a_8LDoaNWOd2DuuZHlLxnAR7AwrR4zzgO5ieG65v8hGQEChHWH7OI3YWW3FgGv2zWHdStniitMI1ld0dl5

:dunno:

Dammit!!
It's addicting.

Ain't that the truth!

All I want for Christmas is two new front teeth.

I recommend implants.
I fucked up all my molars falling of a chicks roof while trying to get laid when I was 16.
Ended up with implants and I couldnt be happier with them.
I can eat beef jerky with these bad boys!!!

Dammit!!
It's addicting.

Ain't that the truth!
Ain't that the truth. A friend made ribs and brisket recently on a Traeger. He told me he put it on like 5 a.m. I said, "you've been tending it since then?" and he pulled out his phone. I guess he can check on and control that grill from anywhere. Good and bad. I used to tell the wife that she needed to go get more beer because I couldn't leave the grill. LOL

This is getting tiring.

I threw that brisket on EARLY this morning before work and it has been steady all day, but now it has stalled at 183 for the past hour. If I can't break this stall, Imma have to oven it, and I hate doing that.

Pray to the god of meats that my brisket busts through soon.

:beer:
Can you add water?
Assuming you're smoking. Place a pan of water in the smoker. The vapor moisture will help heat transfer in the meat.

When will the rest of the bbq world recognize Texas Brisket as bbq?
The secret is in the BBQ Sauce.

Thats sacrilegious!!!!!
We dont use BBQ sauce in Texas!!
Thats an insult to the pit master!!!
Although I admit to using it occasionally when the pit master isn't looking.
But seriously,the only time we use BBQ sauce is on pork.

Forum List

Back