MW advocates - what are the downsides of minimum wage?

You didn't say that, I said that.

Why did you say that? It makes zero sense to pay someone in a low cost area the same as someone in a high cost area.

Why do you want the federal government to decide , can't the states do it themselves, like they have been doing?

I've already explained this 3 times.

Now I get you, your spinning it to get the same effect, you don't want jobs leaving to other states

Youre making me tired Bear.

Because you can't outspin me .

There are no downsides to a minimum wage law. What you perceive as a downside is a knowledge that you must start somewhere and typically thats at the bottom. People that start at the bottom should expect a bottom salary that pays the basic bills. It shouldnt pay for your new Bentley. Hence you shouldnt be making $200 per hour.

What basic bills are that...

Democrat high taxes or republican low taxes?
Food, clothing, education, and shelter

I worked two jobs, 90 hours a week, put myself through college, and provided my own food, clothing, and shelter. I would do it all over again.
Thats amazing olde tymer. Did you walk 30 miles in the snow to do it?

Im not old. Next. That was 20 years ago.
Yeah I did basically the same thing. I could have used the extra money MW laws would have provided and hell no I would never do it again if I could make more money with MW laws applied.

Why did you say that? It makes zero sense to pay someone in a low cost area the same as someone in a high cost area.

Why do you want the federal government to decide , can't the states do it themselves, like they have been doing?

Now I get you, your spinning it to get the same effect, you don't want jobs leaving to other states

Same question why do you want a national minimum wage?

What basic bills are that...

Democrat high taxes or republican low taxes?

Then you agree the minimum wage should be a states decision and not a national one.

No. I think it should be a national one.
But if you believe the minimum wage should be raised to a level to cover basic needs, and the cost of basic needs varies from state to state, it makes no sense to set a national minimum wage rather than allow the states to each set their own.
It only makes no sense if you have a simple minded view of how the MW should be set for each state. I didnt say MW should be equal across the board. I said the MW for each state should be set at a national level.
Again, it makes no sense to think that some bureaucrat in DC has a better idea what it costs to live in Miss. than the people who live there. In addition, a state minimum wage law would effect every job in that state, but a national minimum wage law would only effect jobs in companies that engage in interstate commerce. Since minimum wage laws only effect the lowest skilled worker, a national minimum wage law would not apply to most of the lowest paid workers.

Last edited:

Then you agree the minimum wage should be a states decision and not a national one.

But if you believe the minimum wage should be raised to a level to cover basic needs, and the cost of basic needs varies from state to state, it makes no sense to set a national minimum wage rather than allow the states to each set their own.
It only makes no sense if you have a simple minded view of how the MW should be set for each state. I didnt say MW should be equal across the board. I said the MW for each state should be set at a national level.
Again, it makes no sense to think that some beaurocrat in DC has a better idea what it costs to live in Miss. than the people who live there. In addition, a state minimum wage law would effect every job in that state, but a national minimum wage law would only effect jobs in companies that engage in interstate commerce. Since minimum wage laws only effect the lowest skilled worker, a national minimum wage law would not apply to most of the lowest paid workers.
Not sure what you mean. Are you saying that if there was a national law that all business in state X had to pay X amount per hour then businesses that dont engage in interstate commerce wouldnt have to obey that law?

No you didn't, your claim is if we didn't have minimum wage laws employers would pay a dollar an hour and I proved to you, your full of shit.

No you didn't, your claim is if we didn't have minimum wage laws employers would pay a dollar an hour and I proved to you, your full of shit.

No my claim was that I didnt want back woods states setting the MW at $1 per hour. I dont trust them.

we don't want public sector induced wage flight; it only adds anarchy and chaos to our markets.

No my claim was that I didnt want back woods states setting the MW at $1 per hour. I dont trust them.

Once again look at the job boards

A low minimum wage state is paying what $4 bucks over the minimum wage, a high minimum wage state is paying right at there states minimum wage

Warehouse Positions - 2nd Shift, $11 - $12/hr

Warehouse Positions - 2nd Shift, $11 - $12/hr (Fort Worth) hide this posting
00T0T_iaqOozFWF85_600x450.jpg

compensation: Minimum of $11.00 per hour
employment type: full-time

To be considered for employment, you must complete an online employment application (www.ttiinc.com).

**NO PHONE CALLS**

**RESUMES NOT ACCEPTED - MUST COMPLETE ONLINE APPLICATION**

TTI, Inc., has been a leading specialty distributor of electronic components for over 40 years. We currently have multiple openings in our climate controlled, fast paced distribution centers.

Minimum starting wage is $11.00 per hour (Additional shift premium for 2nd shift of .65 cents per hour. 2nd shift begins at 12:00 p.m.)

Pay increases at 90 and 360 days during the first year

Temperature Controlled Environment

Background & Drug Test required

High School Diploma or GED required

Recent warehouse experience preferred

Specific openings and shift/pay rates are listed on the website

GENERAL WAREHOUSE WORKER

GENERAL WAREHOUSE WORKER (TACOMA) hide this posting
compensation: $12.00

General Warehouse Worker
Codel Entry Systems is looking for a General Warehouse Worker able to work various departments in a fast paced environment. Candidate must be eager and willing to work long hours if needed.
Job Duties
• Multiple warehouse related jobs such as Delivery Driver, machining doors and door frames, glazing doors, putting inventory away, loading trucks, Paint, Stain, etc.
Skills and Qualifications
• Must be familiar with hand tools, power tools, and MUST be able to read a tape measure
• Must be able to lift 75-100 lbs repeatedly
• Previous door shop experience desired, but not required
• Must have dependable transportation
• MUST be able to pass a drug test before being hired

Starting Wage $12.00/hr

Because you don't know jack or refuse to acknowledge that even McDonalds in a low minimum wage state is paying like $10 bucks an hour way over $7.25

A low minimum wage state is paying what $4 bucks over the minimum wage, a high minimum wage state is paying right at there states minimum wage

To be considered for employment, you must complete an online employment application (www.ttiinc.com).

**NO PHONE CALLS**

TTI, Inc., has been a leading specialty distributor of electronic components for over 40 years. We currently have multiple openings in our climate controlled, fast paced distribution centers.

Minimum starting wage is $11.00 per hour (Additional shift premium for 2nd shift of .65 cents per hour. 2nd shift begins at 12:00 p.m.)

GENERAL WAREHOUSE WORKER

General Warehouse Worker
Codel Entry Systems is looking for a General Warehouse Worker able to work various departments in a fast paced environment. Candidate must be eager and willing to work long hours if needed.
Job Duties
• Multiple warehouse related jobs such as Delivery Driver, machining doors and door frames, glazing doors, putting inventory away, loading trucks, Paint, Stain, etc.
• Must be familiar with hand tools, power tools, and MUST be able to read a tape measure

Starting Wage $12.00/hr
To bad that low wage state doesnt have to adhere to paying over the MW. There shouldnt be any volatility. They could change their minds in the next 15 minutes without over sight.

Because you don't know jack or refuse to acknowledge that even McDonalds in a low minimum wage state is paying like $10 bucks an hour way over $7.25

Thats not because of the state. Thats because of McDonalds company policy.

**NO PHONE CALLS**

GENERAL WAREHOUSE WORKER

General Warehouse Worker
Job Duties

Starting Wage $12.00/hr
To bad that low wage state doesnt have to adhere to paying over the MW. There shouldnt be any volatility. They could change their minds in the next 15 minutes without over sight.

That's between Tacoma Washington and fort Worth Texas, the warehouse worker in Texas is getting paid way over the states minimum wage, the one in Washington is making minimum wage.

**NO PHONE CALLS**

GENERAL WAREHOUSE WORKER

General Warehouse Worker
Job Duties

Starting Wage $12.00/hr

That's between Tacoma Washington and fort Worth Texas, the warehouse worker in Texas is getting paid way over the states minimum wage, the one in Washington is making minimum wage.

Thats not an intelligent way to do it. Pretty sure there are way more jobs in low cost states paying way less than in high cost states.

Again, it makes no sense to think that some beaurocrat in DC has a better idea what it costs to live in Miss. than the people who live there. In addition, a state minimum wage law would effect every job in that state, but a national minimum wage law would only effect jobs in companies that engage in interstate commerce. Since minimum wage laws only effect the lowest skilled worker, a national minimum wage law would not apply to most of the lowest paid workers.
Not sure what you mean. Are you saying that if there was a national law that all business in state X had to pay X amount per hour then businesses that dont engage in interstate commerce wouldnt have to obey that law?
Yes, the federal government has no jurisdiction over companies that don't engage in interstate commerce, but a state law would apply to all companies.

Yes, the federal government has no jurisdiction over companies that don't engage in interstate commerce, but a state law would apply to all companies.
Show me the proof of this. If this is true then why all the whining about federally set MWs?

When the $15 per hour was first suggested McDonalds started putting kiosks in the store. Ordering at the counter won't bring your food any faster. Drive thru customers get first priority, then kiosk orders and finally the cold hamburger order. Then, Walmart and grocery chains started Home Delivery. People who wonder why a big store like Walmart and Target have 18 cash registers have only 2 or 3 open and a dozen self-checkout stations can thank the minimum wage crusaders.
Now youre being an idiot and blaming MW on technology and business owner greed. That was going to happen anyway. The first priority of a business is to pay its shareholders a large dividend.

If you wouldn't insult people all the time you would get replies.

Show me the proof of this. If this is true then why all the whining about federally set MWs?
How can you have an opinion on the matter and not know the federal government only has jurisdiction under the commerce clause? The complaints about a national minimum wage law are about it being nothing more than a meaningless political ploy. The Democrats are only talking about it because they have no meaningful proposals on any important issues, just as Hillary had no meaningful proposals on any important issue in 2016.

Fixing Standards for the Union does not depend on the Commerce Clause.

Forum List

Back