Must Read

Discussion in 'Military' started by Annie, May 10, 2006.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Ladies, handkerchiefs. Men, well we know you don't cry, ;) . Warning given. Links at site. What a family, by birth and voluntarily:

http://www.blackfive.net/main/2006/05/the_brothers_of.html#more

2. Kathy Sue

Kathy Sue Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the hankie warning, Kathianne. I sit here with lump in throat and tears streaming down my face, realizing, I barely have a clue the sacrifices made by our men and women in service and their families and loved ones. I thought I did, but, this heartfelt, gut-wrenching piece brings it home like never before.

To read of the love and goodness and courage and fortitude and willingness~; the brotherly comradeship, both to each other and given to all, speaks to me of what this country is about when push comes to shove, but, more, when duty calls, by enlisting for whatever reasons, these men and women, particularly those in combat fighting this War on Terrorism, so honorable, brave...they are heros, one and all, to say the very least, as are their parents and families, especially those who've lost their loved one. The price paid by some, and the grace by which they present themselves is awe-inspiring!

Thank you for bringing this to us. I have a couple people I'd like to forward it to if you don't mind?

regards, Kathy Sue

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770

Of course, I 'know' Matt, he writes so that Americans will share.

I stand in awe of those that have served. I can't imagine the 'brotherhood', now shared by women. I do know my dad, at 85 has been trying to contact those he met in London hospital, he entire 'group' was killed at Omaha, he didn't speak of until about 10 years ago. Now he wishes to try and contact the threads that might be left.

4. Kathy Sue

Kathy Sue Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Kathianne, I couldn't get the url to come up.

Re: Your father; what you shared brings tears to my eyes, as well.

"Until about ten years ago" It is simply unimaginable what these (mostly) men went through from the various wars the USA has been involved in.
    They all remain in my prayers...

of thanksgiving...

besides the prayers for their safe-keeping... which seems so little for the prices paid. Thanks, again. Much luck to your father and whatever closure and comradeship he may receive if any of those from London hospital are still living or able to communicate. God bless him and may he know peace of mind.

regards, Kathy Sue

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770

Thank you! I'll have to go edit all the 'he' to his, :laugh: , but I do think he's mostly at peace. I've written about bringing him to school, for 'show and tell.' Another :laugh:

The best time is when I put together a Veteran's Day 'panel' for my classes. Included my dad-the 'old' guy from the 'good war.' Also, a 'cook' from Korean War, flyboy from Nam, woman from Iraq I.

My brother and I took him to Washington DC a couple years ago, with the opening of WWII Memorial. Coming on the heels of my mother's passing, it was more than special-truly a family moment. He loved the Memorial, too bad it took so long, so many died before fruition, but it's wonderful. I think he was more moved by the 'off the main road', 'Big Red One' Memorial. All of us had spent a lot of summer hours at Cantigny more thanks to my mom, than my dad. If anyone visits Chicago, the drive from the city is worth it.

I'll check Matt's links, maybe I goofed? Yeah, it's possible, even for a goddess! :laugh:

6. liberalogic

liberalogic Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I feel like one of the Bronte sisters wrote that.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1